Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:43 PM   #1  

Question Atkins symptoms

Hi everyone i'm new to this board, i've just started atkins today again for the 2nd time ( I tried about 4 months ago) This time around I noticed that I only feel a little tired, the previous time I had killer headaches for 3days. Is it normal to not feel too bad in the beginning? Becasue I've heard most people on it complain about feeling really sick the first few days.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:24 AM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I am sure sorry but yes it is normal as the body is going tolearn to use fuel from a new source. but wait it will feel great in a few days.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #3  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

The first time I tried Atkins was in the 70s (I was maybe six or seven years old) when my mother put me on it (we can all debate the merits of putting a six year old child on a diet to lose five pounds later) and the second time was in the mid 90s. Both times I felt HORRIBLE. This time hasn't been bad - I think because I checked the Atkins site before starting out and they REALLy stress the importance of staying hydrated and getting in all the salad. I really think that's what saved me. I had a few draggy days in the middle of the first week, but by the fifth day I felt great and have ever since.

Could that be the case with you?
Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I felt tired for the first 2 1/2 weeks, then I decided to have my regular coffee instead of decaf.. I feel much better.

Your body's going through w/drawls.. hang in there.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #5  
Crazy Canuck

I felt absolutely wretched the first 3 or 4 days - no energy and a general feeling of malaise, but I was prepared because my sister had started the plan a few months prior and had warned me. After the start of the second week of induction I felt more energy and noticed I'd lost inches and weight, which made me feel so good mentally it had to help me feel better physically.

Now a few months into the program, I'm pleased with the weight-loss result and with my increased activity level. I haven't experienced any of the side effects I'd heard about (i.e. constipation). I've noticed that my nails are much stronger which is a nice little benefit.

One thing that does concern me though. My sister and two of her friends who have been on the plan for almost six months have noticed hair loss - not clumps falling out or anything, but excessive hair in the brush and clogging the shower drain. Having very fine hair to begin with, the thought of this happening horrifies me. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how do you deal with it? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:14 AM   #6  

iv'e been on low carbs for three weeks and i still feel sick and have no energy at all when i work out i dont think i am doing it right i have not been eating no breads, pasta, rice , or potatoes until a minute ago when i had a small piece of bread and some milk i'm either not doing it right or my body needs carbs in order for me to lose weight i've lost over 100 pounds eating less and working out so i think im going to drop this low carb thing any advise ? cause im in need of some...
Old 09-20-2003, 08:52 AM   #7  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

How many carbs are you actually having per day? Perhaps you can post your menus and we can have a look? Are you using Fitday or anothe rmethod to track your calories/carbs/fats, etc?

Are you sure you are getting enough calories and your ratios are okay? (65% fat/30%protein/5%carbs).

Also if you are not taking any supplements, you might want to look into that.

Let us know!

Froufy
Old 09-21-2003, 04:13 AM   #8  

I felt worse than some my first 3 daysbecause I also cut out all Caffeine . I am slowly letting some caffeine back into my diet. make sure your drinking enough water the first week its important .
Old 09-29-2003, 03:57 AM   #9  

If your healthy, keep it to 10 gms carbs a day for 3-4 days and then go to 20. This should make the transition easier, and get rid of the horible feelings. Have a big glass of water upon arising, and 5 mins or so of exercise, if you are up to it, before breakfast. Try to include some celery in your 10gms.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:13 PM   #10  
reaching my goals

I've been losing a lot of hair too lately. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 PM   #11  

Wow, this is amazing to me....I was a serious coca cola junkie, so I thought I was going to be miserable when starting atkins. And the gawd's honest truth, I was a total spaz. I gave up coke, as well as all caffeine cold turkey. No headaches!!??!! Can you imagine? And by the third day on the diet, I was BOUNCING off the walls. I had such a hard time sitting still at my desk without bouncing my leg, tapping my nails, or getting up to "check the printer" a million times a day. And I've pretty much been that way every since. I caught a cold about three months into it, and felt a little sluggish, missed being able to drink orange juice to feel better. But the cold didn't last nearly as long as I'm normally sick. And I was back to being my new normal bouncy self. I really attribute this to WATER and supplements. Since I was no longer drinking soda, I turned to water instead. And I take my daily vitamins every morning. Also, I think that my body just "knew" this was the right thing to do. I had been debating on atkins for a few weeks, so I think I was really mentally prepared when I started. I know it's different for every person, and I know everyone goes thru their own tribulations with this diet (Me, my normal cravings are for either orange juice, or a grape snowcone!!!! hehehe) It's nice that we can share our differences and compare. Please don't give up! It can be tough in the beginning but it certainly is worth it!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #12  
Baby Steps

Quote:
Originally posted by supersized
I've been losing a lot of hair too lately. Any thoughts?
Has anyone given an answer for this? Before the crash I had wondered about it because I really don't want to lose hair.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #13  
Head Princess

I go through "phases" where I seem to be shedding! I don't attribute it to atkins, though. I've just always been that way.

You may want to check and be sure that you're getting the right kind and amount of nutrients. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Are you eating a good assortment of veggies? Are you drinking lots of water?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #14  

I also am on day 3 and dont feel so great although my daughter Day3 also got really sick yesterday.
I did cheat and have a reg. coffeee instead of decafe today though.
Hopefully this shall pass.
Brenda
Old 01-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #15  
Tanned Sexy Chick

During the induction period ...

Quote from my "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" book page # 140
"There are a few people who experience fatigue or light-headedness during their first week doing Atkins. Most often this means that the process is going too fast for their particular metabolism--they're losing weight too fast, losing water and certain minerals too fast and their bodes can't keep pace with these quick changes. One sign is ascent weakness" You feel weak walking UP stairs.....Obviously, drinking lots of water is essential. Usually I advise patients who have these problem to SLOW DOWN the weight loss. They should add another helping of vegetables to their evening meal or one or two ounces of nuts or seeds"

I am on this with total medical supervision for reasons not related to weight, however, my doctor agrees with this information and also advised me to NOT stop my caffiene intake. He thinks that if suffering from caffiene withdrawals you will less likely notice when there is other problems such as loss of potassium which is perhaps the MOST dangerous vitamin or mineral to deplete your body of. http://www.americanheart.org/present...identifier=331

Of course he insisted that I take a low-iron multi-vitamin and also an additional potassium supplement and I can tell you...I feel much better and have restarted the induction face 7 days ago.

Busywomensfitness.com's info on potassium
Closed Thread