Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 01:38 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default Splenda

I've heard/read a lot about Splenda being used in place of sugar, but I'm not really sure what it is. Who can explain it to me. I have several really good recipies that call for frutose (from the FORMULA diet) Can Splenda be used instead of frutose? Would it be the same measurments?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:52 PM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Barb, I got this off the splenda web page,

Product Description
SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar, with no unpleasant aftertaste. It can be used virtually anywhere sugar is used. In cooking and baking, SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener can replace sugar in a variety of recipes.
SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, or sucralose, is made from sugar through a patented, multi-step process that selectively replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. The result is an exceptionally stable sweetener that tastes like sugar, but without sugar's calories. After consumption, sucralose passes through the body without being broken down.
SPLENDAŽ Granular measures and pours just like sugar, and it stays sweet at high temperatures so it can be used in cooking and baking.
SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener is an ideal sweetener for the whole family.

Origin/Discovery
SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener (also known as sucralose) was discovered in 1976.
Sucralose received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval in April 1998 for use in 15 food and beverage categories, the broadest initial approval ever given to a no calorie sweetener.
In August 1999, only 16 months after initial regulatory approval, the FDA approved sucralose for use as a general purpose sweetener, expanding the categories to include all food and beverage applications.
SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener (sucralose) has been subjected to one of the most extensive and thorough safety testing programs ever conducted on a new food additive.
More than 100 scientific studies on sucralose, conducted and evaluated over a 20-year period, have demonstrated the safety of SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener.
Over 50 regulatory agencies worldwide have permitted the use of SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, including the United States Food and Drug Administration, the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), the Health Protection Branch of Health and Welfare Canada, and Australia's National Food Authority.
Since its 1991 Canadian approval, millions of people have enjoyed the great taste of products containing SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener. Over 400 food and beverage products around the world are now sweetened with SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener.

I also found this link talking about the danges of splenda. http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

I know lots of people use it and love the freedom it gives them. You can get a ton more information doing a search for Splenda on the web.

I hope this helps :

-L
Old 06-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #3  
Senior Chicky

Barb - I can only tell you that I switched to splenda a little over a year ago and I love it. No after taste, sweetens very similar to "real" sugar.

It is definately worth a try. Good luck

J
Old 07-07-2002, 04:19 PM   #4  

Angry Hi Barb!

I have been using Splenda for a long time and I really like it. It measures just like sugar. I've been using it in recipes and it works very well.
Closed Thread