Old 09-16-2001, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Exclamation Help me beat the grocery store blues!!

I just went to Bi~Lo and now I want to cry!! I have a mom and 4 year old daughter who live with me, so I can't force them to diet along with me. The list contained many, MANY things I am not supposed to eat. How I got out of that store with 2 bags of cookies, 2 loaves of bread, and 2 kinds of cereal is beyond me! Now every time I go near the kitchen I hear all that junk calling my name. How do you diet and keep the rest of the house happy? And maintain your sanity, I mean!! I looked for low-carb snacks but was disappointed. Is there a store you can buy goodies from and still stay on program? Any help would be appreciated!

Sherrie
Old 09-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #2  
Senior Chicky

Sherrie! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Just hold on! And there is a way to feed our families and still stay OP!!!

I buy snacks for my DH and DS's and next door granddaughter too. It requires some control, BUT CAN BE DONE!!

Just a couple of suggestions ~~
1. Prepare a food list prior to the shopping trip
2. Yes, snacks must be planned. BUT, can you plan snacks around your woe? And, buy things (for others) that don't appeal to you.
3. I put DH, DS and GBaby snacks on one shelf that I do not need or open on a daily basis. Out of sight out of mind.
4. Altho you know those items are contained and calling you, WHAT DID YOU BUY FOR YOURSELF? Did you buy yourself sf jello? Pork rinds? Veggies and ranch dip/guacamole dip?
5. If you're wanting a "sweet" kind of snack, why not make yourself some LC "snack" bars or deserts off the recipe threads?

Hang in there Sherrie and make good OP choices! YOU CAN DO THIS !!!
Old 09-16-2001, 07:26 PM   #3  

Sherrie,

I agree....YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Here are a few simple rules that I follow for myself when I go the store....because I'll admit I am the worst at buying everything that looks yummy.

Never shop while you're hungry.
Always make a list and stick to it.
Try very hard to shop alone.

Whenever I am forced to get snacks for my kids or my husband I always remember to get stuff for myself too. Since low carb snacks are hard to come by I usually stock up on jerky, nuts, string cheese and protein bars. That way, when they feel the need to pig out on popcorn or ice cream then I've got something too!

Good luck! Stay focused! And, remember you've got us!
Jenniwookie
Old 09-16-2001, 08:18 PM   #4  

YOU CAN DO IT!! Now is that confidence or what?

Here's waht I do and I have a 2 year old and a dh that has a salt addiction. I feed my family the same things I eat and I make another portion of carbs just for them. For example, if I'm having chicken and some sort of veg, then I boil up some potatoes for my family. I give myself extra meat and veg and give them the carbs! that way meal time doesn't have to be a battle zone. Another good tip is to eat some diced cheese or some other LC snack while you are cooking. That way the hungries aren't calling your name and you can cook the meal without cheating! Please also keep in mind that the lack of carbs is going to drive you crazy for about the first week but then it chould be just fine. Hope this helps you!
Old 09-16-2001, 09:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Thanks so much!!!!!

You guys are the greatest!! I have put away the "forbidden fruits" where hopefully I can resist them. I was in fact very hungry when I went to the store, and I did take my 4 year old. Can we say "PLEEEEEEEEEEEESE, MOMMY??" a thousand times??? Thanks for your suggestions, I will follow them to the letter.

Sherrie
Old 09-17-2001, 07:38 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

One good thing that would hold me is to have a shake ready for my time in need. i bought carb solutions shake mix and use that it is not to bad but will hole me over in a pinch some times to well. MMMM thanks for reminding me i have not had the mix in a while no wonder i have been eating KFC

some hard boiled eggs is great to have on hand if you do not like them then make a quick salad with mayo!!! you do not need to be fancy just eat it and that will go a long way to helping you stay OP. prepare and thinkahead!!!
Old 09-18-2001, 11:03 AM   #7  

I really understand your problem. My kids are 11, 12, & almost 15 (sob!) and eat everything that doesn't move around here. I like MommaJ's advise - I only buy kid snacks, etc. that I don't like. That way, if I am tempted to cheat, am I going to do it with a yucky 'ol frosted animal cookie? (not my fav - sorry, frosted animal cookie fans) The kids will eat most anything snackie that I buy so they haven't really caught on to the fact that I haven't been getting the 'good' stuff!

Also, that SF chocolate pudding made with 1/2 water and 1/2 heavy cream has REALLY helped me many a time.

Kel