Old 07-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #1  
Doing This For My Future!

Default The Scale

I recently came back to the board after an abcense and would like to welcome all the new members! You will love it here..there is a great group of people to answer your questions...

However, I have one thing to mention. I see almost all of you worried about the scale. "If the scale doesnt say "whatever" I will be so disappointed." Really, you are worth MUCH more than the number on the scale ladies!! Even if your weight isnt moving on the scale, you will be seeing improvements. Because you are taking in more protein than you are used to, you will be gaining your much needed muscle. Because of this, your weight may not budge on the scale, but I bet if you took your measurements you would see a difference.

When I first started Atkins in March, I weighed about 330lbs. Almost 6 months later I weigh 300 exactly. Now, thats only a loss of 30lbs, which most of you will say "yeah, but I lost that on the scale the first week." My scale didnt budge for the first MONTH I was on atkins. Not even one pound. In fact it went up 5lbs. Then all of a sudden, I had a drop of 10lbs in one week. I took my measurements during the time I wasnt losing anything and every week, I would lose a few inches here and there. Now, it is almost 6 months later, and I have lost 25 total inches on my body, and 30 pounds. I went from a size 32 to a size 24. I didnt care what the scale said. I was happy because I could literally FEEL the weight coming off of my body. The benefits of losing weight this way also, is the increased energy, the level moods, and the way it makes you feel. I have so much energy that every day without fail I get up at 5:00a and get to the gym. I work out for an hour and half before I have to be at class at 8:00a. I NEVER would have done that before, if I hadnt had the extra energy that low carb gave me.

I know it will be hard for some of you, but please put the scale away. It is not a measurement of health...how you feel is a much better measurement of how healthy you are. I know its difficult to realize, but who cares what the scale says? As long as you are getting healthy, thats all that matters right???? YES!!!

I do have before and after pics if anyone would like to see!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Smile Very Inspiring!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!

I admit that I am a scale watcher...and I need to break this nasty habit. Logically I understand that this is just a number and does not mean everything...in the big picture there are other more important factors to look at and celebrate .

That being said, I am still somewhat affected by the "numbers" I see. I try not to let it spoil my mood, but it is a hard habit to get rid of. I did have hubby hide the scale the 2nd week of induction for a week as I was becoming obsessive.

I try not to weigh each day but the scale is right there in the bathroom...taunting me..and I am naked and have peed... so on I hop!

Now it's approaching TOM so I understand there will probably be some weight gain and I WILL NOT LET IT FREAK ME OUT!>....just temporary right??

Any other ideas/suggestions on avoiding the SCALE MONSTER?

Froufy
Old 07-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

have hubby hide it, and bring it out once a week only. No matter how much you beg him, he isnt allowed to bring it out until that specific day.

Manda, your doing great!! Id love to see your pictures! Before and after pics are always great inspiration!!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

I still find the scale to be the true measurment of how I'm doing. And it keeps me on track. If I know I'm going to have to get up and see the number possibly go up, I will decide against that late night whatever that I'm not REALLY hungry for.

And to address a common myth - if your weight stays the same for a week, it's probaby not because you have lost fat but gained muscle. Muscle takes a LONG time to build. If you could gain muscle that quickly and easily, body builders will want to know your secret. They STRUGGLE to put on a pound of muscle. I know this is one of those things people cling to because it makes them feel better, it's just not true.

I know everyone measures and defines success differently and I do believe we should all do WHATEVER works for us. Some people can only keep the weight loss going of they never weigh, some of us need to be reminded of consequences every morning. I say if it works for you, keep doing it.

Congratulations to everyone on your loss and continued success!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #5  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Just wanted to come back and add, MandaPanda, you have the cutest nick ever. I wish I had been more original when choosing mine!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:04 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Thank you for this! I have been frustrated over 'only' a one pound loss over the last week, and I shouldn't be thinking that way. It was disappointing because I didn't eat a bite of anything that I shouldn't have...but I need to remember how the scale moves so wildly for me.

I had my husband hide it for me for a while, and I managed to stay off of it, but the downside to that is what if that ONE day that I plan to weigh, that I have water weight! At least with more frequent weigh ins I can see the scale move up and down. I guess it all has its pros and cons, and the only way out of it is to truly not judge the process by a scale, but by the success of our actions.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic!