Old 04-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #1  
Big Loser

Smile Story - I had to share.

I had to share this ladies -

CNN live interview with Martin Savidge on Sunday, 30 March 2003:
>Martin Savidge of CNN, embedded with the 1st Marine battalion, 1st Marine Division, was talking with 4 young Marines near his foxhole this morning live on CNN. He had been telling the story of how well the Marines had been looking out for and taking care of him since the war started. He went on to
>tell about the many hardships the Marines had endured since the war began and how they all look after one another.
>He turned to the four and said he had cleared it with their commanders and they could use his video phone to call home. None of these Marines had been able to talk with their families for many weeks. The 19 year old Marine next to him asked Martin if he would allow his platoon sergeant to use his call to call his pregnant wife back home whom he had not been able
>to talk to in over a month. A stunned Savidge, who was visibly moved by the request, nodded his head - yes. The young Marine ran off to get the sergeant.
>Savidge recovered after a few seconds and turned back to the three young Marines still sitting with him. He asked which one of them would like to call home first? The Marine closest to him responded with out a moments hesitation, "Sir, if is all the same to you we would like to call the parents of a buddy of ours. Lance Cpl Brian Buesing of Cedar Key, Florida,
>who was killed on the 23rd of March near Nasiriya. We would like to see how his folks are doing and let them know their son died bravely."
>At that Martin Savidge totally broke down and was unable to speak. All he could get out before signing off was, "Where do they get young men like this?"
Old 04-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Rachel I have heard this story.......it does move us all.

My sister and her husband (he's in the AF and stationed at MacDill in Tampa) went to Cedar Key this weekend where they were having a memorial for Brian Buesing. They did not know when they went that this was going on. My sister said that many, many people walked up to my BIL and wanted to know if he were military (he just looks like he is.) When he would say yes......many hand shakes and thank you for supporting our country were said to my BIL. and one lady even hugged my sister and told her that as a military wife she, my sister had the hardest job of all.

Thanks for posting this Rachel.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #3  

Thanks for sharing this one
scooby! I love it, although it makes me well up.

The one that I received had this additional sentence. I got it from a one of my best friend's dh who is "over there"

"We will be free only as long as young men like these stand for liberty and justice for all."

Debkay, thanks for sharing about your sister and her dh too!

peach
Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #4  
Ready!!!

Praying for all.

Love,
Tazcat
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 AM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Frankly I am very sad about David Bloom.
-L
Old 04-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

<dabbing at tears> marines are a great bunch., stubborn, but a great bunch

we are very lucky to have them on our side.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 AM   #7  

Thank you for sharing Scooby, it sure brought tears to my eyes.

I send prayers to all the families who have lost loved ones as well as the family of David Bloom.

Please keep Jason, my best friend's son, and Mike, my BIL in your prayers.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:13 PM   #8  
CatGal

That was a great story! I just sent it to my family...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 AM   #9  

Thanks for sharing Scooby I hadn't heard that story. It brings tears to my eyes. We certainly have a great bunch of service men out there. I pray for all of them and their families.
Chelly