Old 02-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #1  
CatGal

Thumbs up Week 8 Results - What the...!

Blah! I GAINED a pound this week! What is up with that?! I was reading 299/300 all week and then this morning - blam - 301! That means that I did not lose any weight this month!

I only excercised 2x times this week and was all set to do it again last night that then my best friend called me to go to dinner and I ended up at Applebees.

I am truly doing something wrong here. This week I vow to get back on Fitday and keep track of what the heck I am eating! I truly think I am taking in too many calories.

So February has been bad for me in more ways than one...

3 weeks to the plane! I hope I can get back on a losing trend.

And PS - It is not TOM, so I have no clue that happened other than that Applebees meal. I had Buffalo Wings and a Half order of some Steak and Blue Cheese Salad. I didn't think they were that bad of choices...

Well all, Have a good day! I hope you are doing better than I am.
GinaMarie
Old 02-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #2  

Hi GinaMarie-
I'm new to the low carb board - and very new to the LC program so I don't know that my 2 cents is worth much...but my bet is on salt. I read somewhere just this week that 3 shakes of a salt shaker are enough to create a pound of water retention. I'll bet thre was at least that much and more salt in the wings. So lots and lots of water should help flush out the retained water by month's end.
What is Fitday? And where are you headed? We are leaving for vacation in just a couple of weeks and one flight segment is a short flight in a commuter sized plane. It is a plane small enough that they will ask your weight now...now if that isn't a flight deterrent? A friend of mine was traveling back east and said that the airline she was on just asked for her weight but the airline at the next counter actually had a scale that they made people stand on with!! their carry on luggage...I'm really not looking forward to our island hopper...But am thinking of it as incentive!
Have a great day and up that water intake...I'm sure it will make a difference.
Casey
Old 02-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

wow, a lb of water for 3 shakes of salt........I can imagine how much weight I could loose if I got rid of all the salt!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #4  
CatGal

WOW! I must say that I do take in a lot of salt and between the wings and the blue cheese, i'll bet that might just have been it...

Fitday is a website where you can track your weight, food intake, and activity levels. It is great, and FREE! The web address is www.fitday.com You should check it out.

My DH and I are going to Europe for 2 weeks! We will be spending time in Amsterdam, Leiden, The Haugue, Haarlen, Brugge, Antwerp, Delft, Utrect, and Rotterdam. I am going to be exhausted when I get home. Luckily I will be flying in relatively large planes, but I am relatively large myself and it is not the most comfortable flight in the world. I am just hoping that lose as much as I can before departure!
Gina
Old 02-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

try to remember that 1 lb of fat is equal to 3500 cals so if you took in about 5000 calories you could actualy gain a lb in a day. that is including the activities that would burn the calories off.

So here is the question did you eat 5000 calories?? I thought not so do not fret it is only water!!! drink drink drink. and that measly lb of water will come off.

now on the other hand did you burn over 3500 calories than you ate??? the reason i ask is that most people eat about (when on weight loss plan) about 1500- 2000 calories and they burn some where between 2500 cals daily unless very agressivly exercising so they will burn 500 cals more daily then they take in. so honestly no matter what plan you use low cal low carb the botom line is the numbers that you crunch. 500 cals x 7 days is a lb a week if you eat less and exercise then you can feasably loose 2 - 2.5 lbs a week so do be honest with your self. and atkins tells you that the first weight loss is water no matter what plan you use. the body stores water with glucose/ glycogen. so if you carbed out then you can expect some carb caused fluid retention. (do remember not to go below your magic metabolism number that if you drop below that number your metabolism will slow down and then you will gain wieght no matter how little you eat)

But set your goals real (I say this to everyone who reads this) be real with your expectations. and know your numbers. you can not gain 1 - 2 lbs in a day it is water. you xcan not lose 1 - 2 lbs in a day it is water. you can lose 1- 3 lbs in a week with diligent work. no one said this is easy. you did not get fat over night (actually I did )so do not expect to get thin that fast too.

Do not let me discourage you from the journey. if you do not try where will you be in 1 year?? still fat and even fatter. if you try where will you be in a year. thinner and healtier!! so do not think of stopping just be realistic with your goals. if you expect too much then you will get depressed and stop and then there will be one more diet that you failed at. That is no good for your self esteem. set your goals reasonable then you can succeed, and have success.

also on that note i just want to make you think that 1 gallon of water weighs 7 lbs so if you divide that up then you have 1 lb in 18 os of water that is just over 2 glasses of water that you drink. that could easily be held in the intestines or poop!!! (sorry about the graphic description) so if you are full of it you could also be gaining weight.

OK OK I will get down off my soap box!!! (I must really be FOS!!! )

Last edited by nasus40; 02-26-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #6  

GinaMarie - two weeks in Europe - Im jealous! It sounds like you are going to be busy, busy, busy while you are there to pack all of that into the two weeks...what great fun though!
I will definitely check out fitday - it sounds like a pretty neat place. Thanks!
I have also come to the conclusion that unless you are under the age of 12 - commercial airplanes are just flat uncomforatble no matter what!

Robin...your weight stats at the bottom of your post are great! I would love to take a peek at more like them. I know everyone loses at their own rate...but it is so nice to see what others are doing and get an idea of what you might expect.
Thanks for sharing them!
Casey
Old 02-26-2003, 11:42 AM   #7  

Unhappy

I blew it last night! I was stressed and I reached for comfort food and I didn't even REALIZE it at first!
I HATE that... I am back on today with a vengence!
I know it's human to make mistakes and I am realtively new to this WOE...but why do I do that? Sabatoge myself?
BTW.. I read an article that said people who give themselves permission to cheat have better success. ANyone do that? Do a reward meal or something? don't thinkI could.. I would become addicted to the carbs all over.. when I am diligent on the WOE, I hardly ever think about food
Old 02-26-2003, 12:05 PM   #8  
CatGal

Sue, You are always so informative... I love that about you! I really am taking in too many calories to lose weight at the rate I want to! That was a math lesson that I REALLY needed to learn! Thanks!

Lost - Don't despair... Just forgive yourself and move on. I will be eating ANYTHING I want when on vacation, and then it is right back OP for me!

Thanks again everyone!
G
Old 02-26-2003, 01:55 PM   #9  

I only did slightly better with a loss of 3 3/4 pounds for the month. If you are still doing induction I don't think you have tocount calories according to Atkins. I agree that the weight gain was water but to have no loss for the month is not water! Even Atkins say that this would be a true plateau. He suggests his fat fast. Have you thouhgt of doing that? I have now switched to another lo carb diet. If you are interested in hearing about it just click on my journal. I started yesterday so I don't know a bout the weight losss but I do know I feel better already. NOt so sluggish after my meals. I will never quit lo carbing because of my hypoglocemia but for me I just thought it was time to shake things up a little!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #10  
CatGal

Thanks Wishing. I think the problem for me here was caloric intake pure and simple! I am not on Induction in that I am not restricting myself to only induction foods, but I am still limiting myself to 20 or less carbs per day. I am sure that I was not reducing calories enough to see a loss. I am revamping and we will see what's what next week. Also it's week 7 so you know... I could be stalling...
G
Old 02-26-2003, 03:08 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thanks for the info Sue.......it will certainly come in handy!!!

Lost, I used to do that when I first lost my 100lbs. I would allow a kitkat bar, or what ever I was fancying at the time. Usually only once every other week or so and it seemed to work. I didnt do that this time......but as of 2 days ago, Im going to put it back into my woe.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #12  

Its not for everyone but, like Robin, when I was regularly OP I would take out a 'planned cheat' meal or snackie and give myself permission to indulge in ONE THING that I had been dreaming about. I only did this every couple of weeks or so and then I would jump right back OP. It helped me to avoid the munchies or binges if I could tell myself that "a week from Tuesday I'm going to have a [blank] so I'll just be good until then." Feeling deprived is a set-up for failure for sure and this little trick helped me LOTS!

But as I said its not for everyone.

Kel
Old 02-26-2003, 05:22 PM   #13  
CatGal

I think that is actualy a good idea. The main thing that is keeping me going (aside from the fact that I don't actually crave carbs anymore) is the knowledge that I know I can eat what I want on vacation. It helps to keep you on the straight and narrow until that time...
Gina
Old 02-26-2003, 05:51 PM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

It could be water retention as well please carefuly read this post.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...&threadid=8799

it give great info regarding stalls from water retention

there are also many things that people eat that could be tricking the body into releasing insulin. believe me I have been at this for 2 1/2 years. I have fallen into many great pitfalls as has many of these great women in this forum. before you get too frusterated PM me with your menues (the only way i will pay attention to it, as my time on the puter is limited) and let me see what you could be eating that can cause stalls. do not give me typical meals but give me 3 days worth of food that will be m,ore honest for your intake.

may people get stalled with cheese, some nuts some peanutbutter. shakes, p-bars. it may be the total food intake as well.

Last edited by nasus40; 02-26-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:01 AM   #15  

Hi GinaMarie, I am no expert, but I'm thinking that maybe you didn't drink enough water. I know it's hard, but you have to flood your self with water. I gained 1.5 pounds the other day, and I was oh so gently reminded of all the water I wasn't drinking. Just a thought, I hope you enjoyed your meal at Applebees, ((In Health)) Judy