Old 02-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #1  

Unhappy Hello, new here!?! HELP please!!!

Ok I know I sound really really desperate...well I admit I AM!!!!! I have been doing a low carb diet, it is called PRISM weight loss program. It is sort of a modified Atkins. Since I am bfding baby #4, I thought that it would be the best way. Anyways, let me continue my sob story.....with PRISM you are suppose to get together with other members to encourage one another. I tried starting a program online, since there is absolutely NO ONE in this area. WHAT a FAILURE that was!!!!!

Ok, so can I join you all? What do I do, where do I post??? (*hopes no one notices how truly desperate I am*)
I was thinking about Atkins, but I am not sure if it is safe to do with nursing a baby, any thoughts on that at all?

Sorry to bore you all to tears!

Caroline
Old 02-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #2  

Welcome Caroline!

We have a lot of Atkins followers here, but there are many who do their own thing. You're absolutely welcome to join us. Hop into the daily post, it's usually the busiest. I'll see if I can find out any info about Atkins while BFding.

Edit: This is what I found on the Atkins site:

Can I follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach while I'm pregnant?
Weight loss is not recommended while you are pregnant or breastfeeding, so the Atkins Lifetime Maintenance phase is ideal during this time. As with all phases of Atkins, build your eating program around protein, including meat, poultry and seafood, and healthy natural fats such as olive and flaxseed oil and avocados. Eat plenty of vegetables and one serving of fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or grapefruit daily. Instead of hydrogenated oils, consume healthy fats, seeds and nuts. Cook meat well but don't burn it-heavily charred meats can be unhealthy. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Try to walk 30 minutes a day at a comfortable pace. Avoid getting overheated during exercise and be sure to get plenty of rest. And have fun, this is a very special time!

Expect to gain at least 27 pounds over the full nine months-which will include baby, placenta and fluid. The weight should all come off a few weeks after delivery. Nursing your baby burns more calories and contracts your uterus, so it's good for both of you.

Last edited by dyan_q; 02-07-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #3  

Dyan,

Thank you so much! The information really helped! I look forward to posting over in the Atkins group, and thank you so much for the wonderful welcome!

Hope to post over there soon, time to put baby down for nap!

Caroline
Old 02-07-2003, 03:38 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome Caroline. This is the spot to chat, ask questions, get and give support and have a whole lot of fun!

Just want to let you know that we are NOT all Atkins. I'm Berstein, there are Protein Power, CALP, Schwartzbein, etc., but all low carb plans. I have not looked into PRISM but will try to find the info. You have to be sure to eat carefulkly when you are breastfeeding - I bet you knew that!
Old 02-07-2003, 03:53 PM   #5  

Hi Caroline, and Welcome!

Congrats on baby #4!!!!

I like the info that dyan pulled up for you, but I am wondering if you should add some dairy in there too? Someone smart and closer to nursing babes then I am hopefully will come along soon.

As to posting....you can post on any thread that you fancy. We use the whole board, not just one thread. The daily is where we yack away about what is going on in our lives...it is a good way to keep in touch with one another even when you don't have a specific question. Most of the other threads are informative with specific topics....and then there are MY favorites which are just plain silly.

keep posting so we get to know you better!!!

peach
Old 02-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #6  

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Ruth and Peach!!!!

I haven't ever heard of Berstein...so many things to learn! How wonderful.

Peach, I think you are are right abou the dairy products. I have been trying to count calories,ROFL...with 4 kids I am glad just to be able to step outside the house at times.

I will peek over at the daily thread....I am so looking forward to getting to know you all!

Take care,
Caroline
Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

welcome aboard, caroline! and see if you can find chrissy's posts.. she's a SAHM of 5 boys, and she home schools them ALL!!! SO you two have a whole lot in common. of course, i haven't seen her around for awhile. do you think the boys tied her up and are holding her hostage?????

lots of wisdom around here, so jump in!!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #8  
CatGal

Welcome Caroline!

If you need support, this is the place! Please come join our chit-chat and more serious posts.
G
Old 02-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Welcome Caroline!!!! You've found a great spot!
Old 02-08-2003, 01:12 AM   #10  

Welcome Caroline!

We're a happy and helpful bunch--you'll get a lot of great advice and support here--best of luck and see you on the daily!