Old 06-30-2002, 09:18 AM   #1  

Talking Question(s)

I'm pretty sure this question should go under FAQ (well, I'm not sure if it's a FREQUENTLY asked question but it's a question so... um, okay I'll finish) but I'll ask here since I'm not sure. I'm a 19 year old, almost 20, female looking to start a low carb diet. I really don't eat much meat besides tuna but I like and eat fruits and veggies and I think I can at least try it. My question is - what kind of foods are low carb? Are there any websites that anyone would recommend to find this out? I know this sounds like a silly question considering how everywhere you look, it's all "low carb" talk but I'm not exactly sure what counts besides eggs, meats and certain vegetables. I'm also rather poor (just started a new job that pays **** and can barely pay for my car let alone diet foods) and my parents think low carb is bullshit and won't really help out except to buy more veggies (I'm not complaining - I take what I can get!) so any ideas about cheap easy foods would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 06-30-2002, 10:10 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

welcome aboard, you brave young soul!!! there's lots and lots of advice around here.

but let's skip to the important thing: FOOD!!!!!! think about your grocery store. got the layout??? now... think about what's on the outer edges: produce, meat, fish, dairy.

where's the high-carb stuff?? the bread? cake? cookies? crackers? snacks? IN THE AISLES!!!

SOOOOO there's no real need to get involved in high priced stuff like low carb bars or special foods. just stick to the outside of the grocery store, and don't shop in the aisles@!! well, everyone needs TP and laundry detergent and toothpaste once in a while, but you get the idea...

your food is the relatively unprocessed stuff. so, enjoy!! and don't forget to add tofu, as it's a great veg source of low-fat, low-carb protein. and it's cheap as well.

now, ask lots of questions, and post often, especially on the daily. we're a very supportive, talkative group.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:16 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

the great part of this diet is that you do not buy the expensive cereal and breads and junk, actually when you get the right ixture you are eating less than when you were eating high carb so the food actually costs less. stock up on eggs to they can be made many cheap ways. cottage cheese and stuff. I have a site that i can reccomend that does explain many of the low carb actually it is on the faq section. let me find it. there was also a thread about doing low carb on a budget so let me see what i can find for you. but to be honest I am too tired tosearch for that particular thread so i willfind it for you tomorroe. OK?
Old 06-30-2002, 10:17 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html

here is the site.