Old 10-23-2001, 10:26 PM   #16  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

yes cad is carb addicts diet and calp is carb addicts life plan.

i have one dog lab /boxer mis but today i found a stray at the house and it is a beagle and may be dostsun mix???? but she is cute and small!!!

I am 5'2 but have a large muscle base. i am running about 30% fat now. i figure that 15% BF would be good for me if not i would be at 160+ for 22% and that is only 17 lbs more to go. i do not see me being thin at that weight. i am in a nice 14 but still have a huge gut and large things. my muscles are very dence and they weigh a lot. i always was heavier that i looked till i got really fat. i am trying to get my picts on the board but can not manage to do it right! and you will see why i need to lose about 25-30 more. well have to hit the sack will check in tomorow after the gym!!! Ozzie says the bike tomorow that will be different!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 12:28 AM   #17  

You betcha Mel, we'll be puppy buddies. I'll email you tomorrow!
Chickadee
Old 10-24-2001, 06:54 AM   #18  

Default Sue - body fat %

Hi Sue ! Thanks for the stats etc. ! Question ? Are you figuring your body fat % at the gym, from a book etc. ? I was reading one last night in Protein Power which seemed very complicated. Covert's got his on Healthcentral.com for free. I'd be curious how your numbers might come out with his formulas ? Did you mention how many lbs. of LBM you have right now ? Are you basing your goal weight on that ? I ask because I've read that as we become heavier, our bodies build extra muscles to help us carry the extra weight and that we end up with some extra that we can afford to lose. Covert has a chart where he gives the average amounts by height. Just wondering where you might fall in there ? Anyway... as we lose weight, we keep recalculating the goal weight and it does keep going down. I'm getting set to do mine again next week and I'm hoping for good things ! I'll let you know how I do. Congratulations on your exercising !!! I'm glad that I read in Protein Power to wait a bit before starting and to just get used to the eating plan because that's how I feel right now. Did you happen to see what I posted about the new book ? I really wasn't very impressed with it but for $10. - I'll probably hold onto it for future reference. They had mentioned that they had switched publishers etc... and that the first book was more geared to losing weight - which is what I'm needing right now ! I'm still not too sure I want to start counting my protein ? I'm kindof tired of counting as it is ! But I'll read it again and if it makes alot of sense... I'll resign myself to it. This is getting long so I'll close. Nice talking to you ! Take care, Denise
Old 10-24-2001, 11:56 AM   #19  

Angry To Sue

I don't understand much about body fat percet. How do I find out how much I have? I know how much I weigh, but I don't know how much of that is muscle and how much is fat. But I do have A LOT of extra fat around the bottom of my lower abs and it is gross! I can live with the top (above my belly button) for now, but the bottom I can't seem to find anything to get rid of that. I used to do 100 sit ups everynight and finally stopped because it was going nowhere!
Anyway, my question was this: How do you find out how much body fat you have and what is good and how much is bad? -Mel
Old 10-24-2001, 12:48 PM   #20  
Trying to find my way.

Oh boy several good questions. first
i have a personal trainer and he ahs a BF% machine. i go by that as it is much more accrate. i did PP way and come up with a huge % some where about 45% now (due to my gut being so big and out of porportion to the rest of me. I have a scale that is reading about 40% but that does not take in to consideration for alot of things and bone density is one. but my OZZIE does one and i will be having one done soon that is much more accurate and reads the basal metabolic rate and water content and fat/muscle weight. that last time was saying about 30% according to that my LBM is 130. so (including the bones which i found is very dence brom my bone scan) and if you could see my calves you would believe it!! and 5'2" i guess i have a lot of muscle.

Mel i have good news and bad news. first this woe is geared to help you lose the body fat that is good, when people diet and do not take in enough calories they will burn muscle first then the fat as the body is made to be more conservative. it is used to the neanderthal days when we needed to go for long times without eating called the feast/famine routine. or starvation mode. if the body burned the fat then it would not have anything to keep the muscles going when it was close th the end of the famine, so it butned the muscle first and then it would lower the mtabolism by doing that and we could last longer with less food. So with this diet we are taking enough protiein to minimize the muscle waisting and facilitate the fat burning. many poeple who do this diet will lose fat and gain muscle just by eating the right way.

as fat as doing a fat test check out the web site that denise has provided. i will check it out when i am done. it will be some what close but that is what you really need to start from. do not expect huge changes do it about every month, and do you measurements about the same too. that is very important aswhen you are not droping in the scale you will see it in the measurements, fat is much lighter than muscle. if you take 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle the fat will be 5 times bigger than the muscle. so if you do not see the scale moving do not worry you are still losing the fat but developing the muscle to a fine working machine!!! and increasing your metabolism at the same time.

the ideal bf% is 20-22% but here is the bad news. you will lose around the body but you can not spot lose!!! you will hold on the fat in the middle till the end. as it is closest to the core of your body it will be the hardest to lose and as the middle is internal and the fat is around the gut it will be much harder to lose i have head reports that it will not go completely till you drop below 20% BF (that is why i want to go to 15%) if you want to lose around the arms well it will all go toghether, and you will have to work hard to get the gut. but it will be worth it. there is no miricle cure here the weight did not get there over night and as much as we want it will not fall off as fast. the biggest thing is to listen to your body and lose at a pace that is right for you. if you are young and have not yoyo dieted much then it will come offeasier but otherwise you will have to have a lot of determination,. but it is all worth it in the end!!!

denise put you food on a food counter such as www.fitday.com it will do the counting and you just plug it in. they ahve several others that i like such as a down loadable version which is www.lifeform.com EXCELLENT but it is a 21 day trial and i can not afford to do the full version now so i just fudge it. I will go and do the BF test ad let you know and let you know how it compares to the other ones i am soing OK?

well if you think your was long mine is a book!!!! LOL
Old 10-24-2001, 01:00 PM   #21  
Trying to find my way.

just did it and i am impressed it was 32% with 58 lbs of fat and 120 of lean body mass. it does not take in to consideration tha ti have small jopints but big bones 9i can not get a wrist splint as it does not fit my hands it is to small if i get it to fit my wrist and to big if i get it to fit my hands. nor does it take into consideration that i have dence bones but i have to say that it is the closest thing i have found!!! i will post the site just a min!!

http://healthcentral.com/cooltools/C...s/bodyfat1.cfm
Old 10-24-2001, 01:25 PM   #22  
Trying to find my way.

just to add i was back tracking and the difference with atkins and pp is small.
atkins has a 0 carb induction period and pp does not my understanding on atkins is they do not restrict fat, on pp it states to eat health fat.
push the veges on both can subtract the fiber from the carbs on both

(spinach is like 4 carbs and 3 fiber the ecc effective carb count is 1)

i use the pp like i said because i spent the $$ on the kit a long time agoe and do not have it any more. i also go to their web site and get tremendous info there on their BB's it is very technical but it is also very good too. www.eatprotein.com

the kit contained a set of 6audio tapes, a simplified book, and start up video for motivation.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:03 PM   #23  

Hi Mel and Sue ! So, Covert's formula was pretty close ! Cool ! He says it's within 2 % and he's right on the money ! He also has a chart in the book... of Lean Body Mass for women at 22 %. It's by height and 5'2" says 78-94 lbs. so you've got plenty of that. How tall are you Mel ? I can check that for you too. Have you gone to that site and done the calculations yet ? You do need a tape measure. I'm 5'4" and mine should be between 83-100 lbs. so since I had 130.2 lbs. of it last month - I can afford to lose some of that. As far as body fat % allowed - Covert says - 22 % for women except if they are on birth control - then it's 23-26 % or postmenopausal women on hormones - 25-30 %. BTW Mel - all the situps in the world won't help with that lower body fat. That's for upper abs. You need reverse situps or leg lifts to target that lower area. That can help tighten it up but you still have to burn off the fat with aerobics etc...

Thanks Sue for the comparison of the two books ! I think Atkin's got a little bit more lenient in his newer book. He nows says 20 grams to start for the first 2 weeks or longer if you'd like. Then he has you add 5-8 grams per week until you hit the spot where you don't lose anymore. Then he has you eat just below that until you hit your goal. Meanwhile... I'm still just counting my carbs as best I can. It's certainly a heck of alot better than I was doing last week ! I'm enjoying reading both Atkin's in the 1st Protein Power very much and will probably take a little from both and make my own diet !

Is anyone familiar with the Doctor's Weight Loss Centers ? A WW buddy is going to one and he's told her to limit her carbs to something like 100 per day ? What kind of low carb diet is that ? She also can't have cheese or some other stuff that we can. He's big into saying... if you deviate at all - you've blown it ! And this costs $100. a month !!! I don't think so ! Funny, before the meeting today at WWs - some of us started talking about how in the old days... WWs program used to be very much like Atkin's. And people were losing very well ! One woman told me she lost 111 lbs. in 10 months ! Too bad they switched to high carbs. I hope to do very well with this and when they ask me what I'm doing differently ? I'm just gonna smile and say "I'm watching my carbs." Which IS true !!!

I really feel confident that for me... this is the missing piece of the puzzle ! I know in my heart of hearts how HARD I've been trying for years to lose this weight - with very little success. I'm so happy that I've found this site and all you wonderful people who are also doing this !!! It sure makes it more fun ! Plus, we've got something in common. My friends (except maybe 1) basically think I'm nuts and gonna die ! I can't wait for 6 months from now when I'm skinny... Boy, I can sure talk ! TTUL ! Denise
Old 10-24-2001, 07:27 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking In defense of Dr. Atkins

I love his program, and despite the naysayers, he's been thriving since the 70's. The Physician's Weight Loss Center that told your friend to keep the carbs below 100 was correct. The average American consumes over 300 grams of carbs each day. A "low" carb plan of 100 a day is only one third of what they usually eat. On induction with Atkins you are on a zero tolerance type deal. You can increase your intake until you reach a point where the weight stops coming off, and that varies from person to person. Some people can eat 80 grams a day, some only 45. For maintenance, I'd say 100 would probably keep some people at their target weight.

Are you reading Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, or Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution, or something even newer than that? He updates them yearly, I think I read the New Diet Revolution, that gives you 20 carbs per day on induction, which you should not stick to for very long before increasing. It's about a change of eating habits for life, not for a short time. When you increase your intake and can still lose weight, you don't feel so deprived, which is wonderful! Plus, you will be better able to stick with this for life.

This is me, stepping off my soapbox. Good luck in whatever plan you choose to follow!

Sherrie
Old 10-24-2001, 08:00 PM   #25  

Hi Sherrie !

Thanks ! Right now, I'm reading the original book and enjoying it very much. I've also got the newer one which has the 4 steps of the diet. And you're right - he's got us doing 20 carbs for the first two weeks. I'm in my 2nd week and doing pretty good. Somedays are still a little higher but alot lower than what I was eating before. I've also got the older version of Protein Power and I'm enjoying reading that too. I'm not too crazy about the newer book of that tho. So, you like Atkin's too ? Cool ! I just came upon another new study done at the Durham VA Medical Center in No. Carolina saying how Atkin's is safe. First for Women has a Great article also quoting 2 different studies saying how safe it is also. I think one was from Duke University ! I feel very comfortable following these diets and I've never felt better !!! And - I'm not hungry ! Thanks again for your input. Take care ! Denise

Last edited by Dneees; 10-25-2001 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:48 PM   #26  
Trying to find my way.

Denese and mel one thing that i must impress on you is the importance of driking fluid. as your body is metabolizing the fat your body chemestry may change you must drink tons of water to maintain your function. you should dring about 1 oz for every 2lbs of weight. so if you weigh 200 you must drink 100 oz of water. this will help flush out the toxins from the fat burning. one more thing is to wathc your legs if they seem to get a bit logy or tired they may get feeling like they want to jump when you are laying down, well because of your bodys adjustment you are loosing potassium and NEED to take a supplement. those are covered in the bookd. i just want to be sure that you do this. otherwise you guys are doing great!!!!
Old 10-25-2001, 09:30 PM   #27  

Lightbulb

Hey Sue! Thank you for reminding me! The first time I read the book I didn't really read it thourouly I am re-reading it now. But I do remember the funny tingleing in my legs the last time and I bet that is what it was from. I am not real big on drinking water. I just hate it! Let me ask you this: Does Crystal Light count for water? Because I could drink that all day long. Let me know! Mel
Old 10-25-2001, 10:40 PM   #28  

Hello and welcome Mel! As for your question on Crystal light, it is a wiser thing to drink plain water or if you want, water with a twist of lemon or lime to give a different flavour. Crystal Light contains aspartame and can literally throw you out of ketosis. I say can because some people are very sensitive to sugar substitutes as the body's chemical reactions treat it as if it was sugar. Be very careful about drinking anything with aspartame, nutrisweet, Splenda, or any other sugar substitute. Hope this helps you in some way, and please feel free to join us on the daily thread so we get to know you!
Old 10-26-2001, 06:25 AM   #29  

Hi Sue, Mel and Pooky !

Thanks Sue for your reminders ! No problem with the water drinking here. As a matter of fact - I'm always telling people to drink 1/2 their weight in water ! I'm not dropping alot of water etc. yet so I've not seen any potasium problems yet. I'll check out my vitamin and see if it's in there.

Mel - you might want to pick up a Brita type water picture for around $17. It really does make water taste good ! Honest !

Thanks Pooky for the artificial sweetener info ! I've cut way back on diet sodas while out and only drink Diet Rite at home which is the only one without Aspartame, salt, caffeine etc... Thanks also for the invitation to join you all over on the Daily thread ! It will take awhile to get to know everyone but I have popped in from time to time.

Have a Great day everyone !!! Denise
Old 05-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #30  
Old Cackler

Default bringing this up for bella

there's quite a bit of good info in this thread for you. and there are other threads i'm still looking for.

i want you to succeed.... you absolutely deserve it!!!!