Old 10-19-2001, 03:24 PM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Something Different ?

Need some help.

I would like to cook a pork roast but there's one problem. I've never cooked one before. Are there different cuts ?? and whats the best kind ?? Hubby's not to whoopie on spices (hot).

Any idea's / suggestions

Thanks, Love, Leens
Old 10-19-2001, 05:03 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Roast Pork 101
There sure are different cuts but all pork roasts are roastable and fairly tender.

I buy a pork loin (rib end is best) that is about 3 pounds. Preheat the oven to 325, put the roast on a rack in the pan and roast for 40 mins per pound. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before roasting. (Of course I sprinkle with garlic and rosemary or thyme!)

Other cuts to roast are the leg and the shoulder or butt but we like this one best.

Veggies 101
Wanna do the veggies around the roast? That's another cooking lesson.

They need to be cut in smaller pieces - quarter potatoes, parboil for 10 minutes, drain and arrange them around the roast for the last hour of cooking. I usually roll them in the fat and sprinkle them with salt and pepper too.

Gravy 101
For now, just open a can, OK?

Have fun, Leens
Old 10-19-2001, 08:25 PM   #3  
Slimwithin

I do it the same as Ruth. I like to cut slits in the meat and insert slivers of garlic. I also like to rub on rosemary...not a hot spice but quite aromatic. Also, when roasting veggies, I find it's quicker and tastier to microwave cut up potatoes, carrots and onions for about 10 minutes before mixing in with pan drippings and roasting along with the roast for the last hour. If you want gravy, remove some of the pan drippings before mixing in the veggies as they will soak up all the juices. Don't forget to stir them every ten minutes or so or they'll stick to the pan.
There's also a great German way to do a pork roast but I'd have to go and look it up. Very moist and tasty though.
My DH is German and doesn't like the leaner cuts of pork as he says they're too dry and the fat gives more flavor. Well, DUH! I think we all know that but we have to think of our health too, right? Still, a bit of fat does make it juicier and more tasty.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:33 AM   #4  

I just toss it in the crockpot over some sliced grn pepper, and onions, and garlic (however much you have or want). Add 1/2 c chicken broth and let it cook about 6/8 hours until it falls apart. I turn it once after about 5 hours. It is soooo good. I use half a hoggie roll and pile it on.

carol k
Old 10-20-2001, 08:50 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Nummmyyyy

Thanks Ladies !!

See growing up in my house all we cooked was beef roasts, chicken and groud beef.....(guess thats all dad could afford......feeding all 7 of us kids lolol).

Love You !!!!!!!!!

Leens
Old 10-20-2001, 09:51 AM   #6  

This week I made a wonderful recipe posted here for pork sandwiches. My hubby just loved it and he really isn't a fan of pork. I can't remember who posted it ( major brain fart). I used a cheap cut of pork roast, a whole onion sliced, a whole sweet pepper sliced and some Knorr(sp) veggie stuff. I put it in the crock pot,put the veggies on it, sprinkled the Knorr stuff on and left it cook on low all night. Was wonderful. BTW, we had steamed cabbage with it and I mixed the extra Knorr stuff on it as it steamed and it was really great!
I mke my pork roasts about the same way everyone posted. I love them, but hubby says they are too dry, BUT he hates anything fatty (except me).
Old 10-20-2001, 11:54 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Tippy your a gas - Hubby hates anything fatty except you - ROFLMFAO

I'm going to buy a roast and give it a try this week, I'll let you know how (horrible ) it turns out .

Thanks Everybody

Love Leens