Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Katerina i think if you reread my post you will notice i never ever mentioned BMI. I did mention body fat though didn't i.
i hope my quoting your post and pointing out the terms you used is helpful.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Here is a recent photo of me. My dress is a size large. I do look better with clothes on but I wouldn't take pics without covering my stomach...
I should take new pics since I finished a new workout dvd program and plan to start another beginning of next month.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #18  

Oh my picture didn't show up....

Old 05-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #19  

Quote:

You will be more comfortable in planes and trains seats. When you are older, you will be more comfortable getting in and out of cars if not already.

Certainly i don't think anyone is actually meant to be at a higher weight. If you want to be at a lower weight long term you need to change your eating habits permanently though. You can't continue eating a lot of food and you can't continue eating junk food on a regular basis. Anything that doesn't really provide much satisfaction will make you want to eat more while whole foods are more satisfying and you can feel more satisfied for longer so need to eat less over all.
I can fit into seats easily. I don't think that is a problem anymore.
Oh and I don't eat junk food on a regular basis. On a weekly basis I don't always eat junk food. I tend to like maybe a hershey kiss or little piece of chocolate after dinner but I don't do that everyday. I was having "desert" which to me became a cookie or 2 and some 30 calorie hot chocolate. I have been teaching myself portion control, stop at 1 or 2 cookies.

On the weekends I tend to let myself have a little ice cream. But again I don't always have that. It depends on if I am craving it and during the winter when its cold I don't always crave it. Sometimes a box of ice cream can sit in the freezer for a month without me touching it.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

You have a beautiful face, Dagny!

From the photo it does not seem like you have to lose weight.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #21  

Thanks!! Actually I got my hair cut and wear it down more. I actually don't like my face and so I feel leaving my hair down hides my face...
I know by seeing pictures of successful people, I know that my stomach is not as flat as it could be. I could lose more but when I say that people always ask why. I guess I just carry my weight well and don't look like I weigh as much as I do.
I think that is what my coworker means when he thinks I should just stay where I am. That I look ok now...and to stop worrying about it.
I was about 197 around Christmas but I managed to get down to 191. Only my body seems to like staying in the 190s. I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to be or if I should lose more. I know I will never be tiny but I just want to be normal I guess...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

BMI is useful tool but necessarily not to be the only thing to be used for a diagnosis.

If you are outside the "normal" BMI it is something to investigate deeper. You my discover that the weight you are currently at is good for your physical and mental health or you may discover that you do need to lose more weight. Yes, there are many studies showing you can be metabolically healthy and overweight. But there are studies that show that two people with equal health test results, the thinner person will have better health long term.

However, the differences were minimal and personally I WOULD shave a year off my life to eat cheese!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 193.5/163.5/150

Height: 5'2"

Personally, I hate looking at BMI!! At most, I should weight 135 at my height. I have not seen 135 since grade school! I have always had a more muscular, athletic build so I have always been "overweight" according to BMI, even at my healthiest.

I set my goal at 150 because this is not only a reasonable goal for me to maintain but I feel like I look good and I know I feel good at that weight.
You have achieved an amazing weight loss! Find a weight that you are comfortable with how you look and feel and that you can maintain. I have read that the up and down of the scale sometimes takes more of a toll on a body than just maintaining a weight that is slightly higher than recommended!
CAPECODWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #24  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
BMI is useful tool but necessarily not to be the only thing to be used for a diagnosis.

If you are outside the "normal" BMI it is something to investigate deeper. You my discover that the weight you are currently at is good for your physical and mental health or you may discover that you do need to lose more weight. Yes, there are many studies showing you can be metabolically healthy and overweight. But there are studies that show that two people with equal health test results, the thinner person will have better health long term.

However, the differences were minimal and personally I WOULD shave a year off my life to eat cheese!
I hear ya!!!
The book I mentioned, Fat Chance, was an eye opener for me, though I know it's not set in stone. If you have excessive visceral fat, especially in the liver, the data he cited indicate your life span can be shortened by as much as 10-20 years. At the same time, people with subcutaneous fat, aka big butts as he puts it, but little visceral/organ fat, live longer than very thin people. If you have both? This claim is based upon looking at populations, not individuals. And it doesn't factor in the stress of pounds on our joints, among other things.

I'd approach even the most well-designed obesity studies with a big 'wait and see' attitude and stick to something that feels good and is sustainable. Yet, the info that Lustig provided in his book has given me some freedom from obsessing over little curves & bumps that I might see in the mirror. "Perfect" is a very relative term!

Last edited by mars735; 05-25-2014 at 02:15 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post

And there are also studies that show that people who are "overweight" by BMI classification have a lower mortality rate with diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...nt_2/S276.full
Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I'd approach even the most well-designed obesity studies with a big 'wait and see' attitude and stick to something that feels good and is sustainable. Yet, the info that Lustig provided in his book has given me some freedom from obsessing over little curves & bumps that I might see in the mirror. "Perfect" is a very relative term!

this is exactly where i am with all of this. i focus on building muscle mass, trying to shed some excess fat that i am unhappy with, make exercise a part of everyday life, keep the general eating pattern towards whole foods and live as happily as i can within those parameters.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina11 View Post
And there are also studies that show that people who are "overweight" by BMI classification have a lower mortality rate with diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...nt_2/S276.full
My point is that you can always find studies to prove your point especially if you are entrenched in that point of view. MOST studies are studying something very specific and people either want to believe they apply to them or don't want to believe it. Which is why I pointed out there are conflicting studies on weight.

Obesity is complex issue involving societal, physical, genetic, cultural, and emotional issues on a larger and individual scale. Something NO study covers.

For example, my issues with weight are highly effected by my Latino culture and how we treat food in my culture. Something some of you might not experience.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #28  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina11 View Post
i hope my quoting your post and pointing out the terms you used is helpful.
Katerina

I find your long post obnoxious so i can't be assed responding to it.

I stand by what i posted. If you don't like it, that's your problem. If you don't agree that's your prerogative. I maintain your arguments are incomplete and incorrect.

If the OP doesn't want to take on my opinion, that's her choice. I don't feel the need or inclination to say any more. Not because i couldn't argue the case but i think for anyone with an open mind, its clear enough. I've just got better things to do.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #29  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Dagny, you look nice and not obese but whether you lose more weight is entirely up to you.

re the visceral fat idea. I understand that the people more prone to that are those with apple shaped figures. The pear shapes are less likely to get that problem. Though i don't know what happens when all types get really large.

This is from the visceral/abdominal fat entry on wikipedia.

Quote:
Abdominal obesity, also known as belly fat or clinically as central obesity, is excessive abdominal fat around the stomach and abdomen. There is a strong correlation between central obesity and cardiovascular disease.[1] Abdominal obesity is not confined only to the elderly and obese subjects.[2] Abdominal obesity has been linked to Alzheimer's Disease as well as other metabolic and vascular diseases.[3]

Visceral and central abdominal fat and waist circumference show a strong association with type 2 diabetes.[4]

Visceral fat, also known as organ fat or intra-abdominal fat, is located inside the peritoneal cavity, packed in between internal organs and torso, as opposed to subcutaneous fat‚ which is found underneath the skin, and intramuscular fat‚ which is found interspersed in skeletal muscle. Visceral fat is composed of several adipose depots including mesenteric, epididymal white adipose tissue (EWAT) and perirenal fat. An excess of visceral fat is known as central obesity, the "pot belly" or "beer belly" effect, in which the abdomen protrudes excessively. This body type is also known as "apple shaped‚" as opposed to "pear shaped‚" in which fat is deposited on the hips and buttocks. Scientists have come to recognize that body fat, instead of body weight, is the key to evaluating obesity.[citation needed]

Researchers first started to focus on abdominal obesity in the 1980s when they realized that it had an important connection to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and dyslipidemia. Abdominal obesity was more closely related with metabolic dysfunctions connected with cardiovascular disease than was general obesity. In the late 1980s and early 1990s insightful and powerful imaging techniques were discovered that would further help advance our understanding of the health risks associated with body fat accumulation. Techniques such as computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging made it possible to categorize mass of adipose tissue located at the abdominal level into intra-abdominal fat and subcutaneous fat.[5]
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #30  

Quote:
Katerina

I find your long post obnoxious so i can't be assed responding to it.

I stand by what i posted. If you don't like it, that's your problem. If you don't agree that's your prerogative. I maintain your arguments are incomplete and incorrect.

If the OP doesn't want to take on my opinion, that's her choice. I don't feel the need or inclination to say any more. Not because i couldn't argue the case but i think for anyone with an open mind, its clear enough. I've just got better things to do.
huh. You said that you weren't talking about BMI, but rather body fat? And then I pointed out that you were, in fact, not discussing body fat, but using very different words, such as bigger and smaller and heavier and over weight, etc.

PatLib, I realise, of course, that studies often have inherent bias, and metanalysis are more reliable than individual studies.

I was impressed by the fact that diabetes.org, a pretty conservative organization, feels comfortable enough to report it.