Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #16  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Are there any natural deodorants that also act as an antiperspirant (to an extent, at least)? I tried Tom's many years ago but discovered the sweat was more of my problem, not the smell, but I would love to try again since it is one of the few traditional personal products I still use...
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I have used the salt stick (Crystal) for years and it works great for me. I tried many of the other deodorants and nothing was as effective as the salt. I have used the crystal as well as the roll-on, and both work for me. I don't have major sweat issues and was always concerned with the chemicals in antiperspirants.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #18  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Didn't see this thread before now - just wanted to say thank you, Novus, for listing out all the things you've tried. My husband has the same issue as you and I'm so curious as to what the culprit ingredient is. (Tom's of Maine stick deodorant causes the peeling issue, but their roll-on is fine.) We'll have to investigate the other brands that have worked OK for you. Thanks again.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #19  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob
Are there any natural deodorants that also act as an antiperspirant (to an extent, at least)? I tried Tom's many years ago but discovered the sweat was more of my problem, not the smell, but I would love to try again since it is one of the few traditional personal products I still use...
I tend to only get really sweaty when it's crazy hot and humid. On those days, I find that an occasional dusting of powder helps soak it up. Gah, that sounds gross. (I use Burt's Bees dusting powder because talcum powder tends to give me a rash.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata
Didn't see this thread before now - just wanted to say thank you, Novus, for listing out all the things you've tried. My husband has the same issue as you and I'm so curious as to what the culprit ingredient is.
Glad you found this thread helpful! Interesting that your husband has the same problem. I agree that I'm definitely curious what the culprit ingredient is. I've tried to narrow it down by comparing ingredients with other products that I have problems with but have never figured it out.

Last edited by Novus; 06-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #20  

Natural are the best for our skin. I recently buy a deodorant that has no preservatives and natural. It is the jasmine scent from N. But I hate the smell of it and it stinks on my shirt so I decided to make my own powder deodorant. I make it by using coconut oil, cornstarch and baking soda.
alexhanney08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #21  

thanx for sharing this post with us , i really learned many things while reading post of many users
amy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 227/139.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

I've been using plain baking soda, just put a little in my hand and pat/rub it onto my armpit. I decided to ease off antiperspirants the last time I got this painful knot under my arm, which had happened to me a couple of times over the years. I found out that the body's basically detoxing through funky sweat, and antiperspirants are just sealing all the bad stuff in. So I started using this Arm and Hammer brand that was just a deodorant, but I later found out it had an ingredient that could be toxic. That's when I decided to try just straight baking soda and it does the job. I still use an antiperspirant on occasion, but for the most part I use baking soda.
circa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #23  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

So glad people resurrected this post - I missed it.

So, how do you put on a baking soda and corn starch deodorant? Both my husband and my teenaged son are allergic to something in deodorants, even Tom's.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've seen some recipes online for a cream/paste style you can make at home using baking soda and corn starch, and I think a little shea or cocoa butter. That way it's a little messy to apply than the powders.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #25  
Patricia Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea View Post
I use the baking soda, cornstarch, eo, and coconut oil. I'm on my second batch and never had a problem with it. Your probably aware of it but No More Dirty Looks is a green beauty blog with lots of reviews. The comment section is always filled with recs.
Would like to thanks for sharing this with us...It really an amazing method for the natural deo..I'm eager to try this ..
patriciasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #26  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

This is a chilly way to wake up, but I make mine into a sausage shape and keep it in the fridge. I rub it in my armpits and wrap it back up and put it back in the door. (I have a shelf for non-foods- seeds and stuff...)
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #27  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Ok ladies, I've has this thread in mind for a while now. I went backpacking recently, and my pack was quite heavy so I left the antiperspirant at home. I didn't sweat or smell nearly as bad as I thought I would!

I was running out of my antiperspirant, so I decided to bump down to deodorant. Not a lot of choices, but I ended up getting the Crystal roll on (lavendar scent). Will see how this goes, and if I'm happy I'll try making up my own with corn starch next time. I keep a huge thing of corn starch on hand as dry shampoo, just need some essential oil! Here's hoping...
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #28  
it's always something

I haven't tried Crystal, but I'll give it a shot since so many of you like it. I like natural deodorants, too. I have found that one of the benefits to aging is that I sweat a lot less now
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #29  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Cornstarch,with a bit of baking soda and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. You can also grind some dry rose petals and add those in for some added luxury. The backing soda alters the ph which suppresses bacteria and odor.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

My favourite is a deodorant cream made by soapwalla. It comes in a little blue jar, and you stir and apply it with your finger. I love the way it smells, the way it feels (smooth and dry), and it doesn't leave residue on my clothes.

That said, if I shower in the morning (especially after a workout), I find I can get through a regular-length day without deodorant. So I try not to wear it unless I'm going somewhere after work, or on days when I showered the night before instead of in the morning (which is often the case).

I've tried a lot of other natural deodorants, like the salt sticks and talcum and so on. Some of them work, but usually only for about 4 hours and then I smell worse and feel far grosser and slimier than if I hadn't worn anything at all.

Last edited by faiora; 10-02-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added another paragraph
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote