Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #16  
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,383

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Thick and thickheaded meaning stupid, naive, or slow to catch on is still pretty much the most common use of the word in the US (or the midwest anyway). Thick meaning not thin, I believe started out as a young, mostly male, urban subculture thing, and is still not as widely used as thick=slow..
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #17  
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,862

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Every time I've heard the term "thick" to describe a person, it was a way of saying they weren't that bright, not that they were fat.
This is what I was thinking!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #18  
I think I'm losing it!
 
AwShucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 539

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Default

I've only heard it when someone was describing a heavy woman - proportional, not proportional, sturdy, firm, jiggly, whatever -- someone who was not the culture's ideal of thin. I wouldn't take it as a compliment. However - I've been told that some men DO like "a woman with some meat on her bones." I just haven't met one, and if I do, he better not call me "thick" when asking for my number! lol

You ladies that have boyfriends or husbands, did he verbally let you know that he liked your shape? Or, was it a non issue? I would think if he wanted to get to know you at all, he liked your shape. He wouldn't have to say, "Hot dayum, I like me a thick woman!" hahahahah
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hhm6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 635

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default

Awshucks- I took it to mean that, although I'm still overweight (or obese by BMI standards) I have a shape.

Honestly, since losing weight, I'm getting somewhat of a shape back, so I feel semi-flattered, but I just HATE the way the word sounds lol, it seems anything but feminine lol.

Learn something new everyday!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #20  
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,383

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
I've only heard it when someone was describing a heavy woman - proportional, not proportional, sturdy, firm, jiggly, whatever -- someone who was not the culture's ideal of thin. I wouldn't take it as a compliment. However - I've been told that some men DO like "a woman with some meat on her bones." I just haven't met one, and if I do, he better not call me "thick" when asking for my number! lol

You ladies that have boyfriends or husbands, did he verbally let you know that he liked your shape? Or, was it a non issue? I would think if he wanted to get to know you at all, he liked your shape. He wouldn't have to say, "Hot dayum, I like me a thick woman!" hahahahah

I found my hubby through a personal ad I placed that appeared in the local news paper and on the paper's website. A photo wasn't an option for the print ad, but the online ad allowed a photo and additional information.

My hubby responded to the online ad, so he had seen my photo, but some of the guys who responded to my ad had only read the print ad, so had no idea what I looked like, except for my height, exact weight, hair/eye colors, and that I was pear, not hourglass shaped. I didn't use vague or cutesy euphemisms for my weight or shape, because I wanted to weed out the guys who would be put off. I'd rather have a couple interested responders than dozens of ultimate rejections.

Hubby and I got to know one another very well by phone before we met. I didn't even know he had seen my photo online until he sent me his. I wasn't a big fan of men with long hair and absolutely hated facial hair. Hubby had waist-length long hair and a mustache and goatee. He also smoked, which would have been a dealbreaker in itself, if I hadn't fallen for him before I met him (and before I saw his photo).

Early on, Hubby never mentioned my weight or shape much, but did say I was much prettier in person than in my photo.

He and I both have always been very open and honest, so we both know that our sizes and shapes aren't each other's idea of physical perfection. I know that hubby's celebrity crushes are Uma Therman and Drew Barrymore and he knows mine are Patrick Stewart and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

When I tell hubby he's sexy, he tells me I'm blind, and tells me he has no idea what I see in him. He'll occasionally make an objective comment about my shape as in whether particular styles of clothing are flattering to my shape, but He's never really focused on any aspect of my shape wjen telling me or showing me that he finds me beautiful and sexy (except that his favorite boobie is the biopsy-scarred one, because it reminds him how lucky he is not to have lost me to the month-long cancer scare we had after a lump was found on a mammogram I had a week before our wedding, and had removed a month after.)

Last edited by kaplods; 03-19-2014 at 01:40 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #21  
Moderator
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,202

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Default

Thick is usually hourglass and larger than average. It's a compliment, though I still don't like it. Here is a link to some pics for visual example. The article is pretty ridiculous, though! LINK
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #22  
I think I'm losing it!
 
AwShucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 539

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Thick is usually hourglass and larger than average. It's a compliment, though I still don't like it. Here is a link to some pics for visual example. The article is pretty ridiculous, though! LINK
I saw the linked photos. Really, that's thick? Hmmm.. Well, then I guess it is a compliment. I still don't like the sound of it. The OP should be proud of that comment, then! According to the article, Lord knows what would've happened if she'd actually given him her number!

Kaplods Sounds like you married a nice guy. Keep him!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #23  
I think I'm losing it!
 
AwShucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 539

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Default


Last edited by AwShucks; 03-20-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: whoops! double post!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hhm6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 635

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
I saw the linked photos. Really, that's thick? Hmmm.. Well, then I guess it is a compliment. I still don't like the sound of it. The OP should be proud of that comment, then! According to the article, Lord knows what would've happened if she'd actually given him her number!

Kaplods Sounds like you married a nice guy. Keep him!

I agree, Kaplods you married a great guy!

And WOW! when I thought thick was more on the lines of this, those women are in AMAZING shape, I definitely don't have any muscle definition like that! lol
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #25  
Moderator
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,202

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
I agree, Kaplods you married a great guy!

And WOW! when I thought thick was more on the lines of this, those women are in AMAZING shape, I definitely don't have any muscle definition like that! lol
That would likely be considered thick too - I know my urban definitions
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #26  
Finally in control.
 
ChickieBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 785

S/C/G: 294/234/199

Height: 5'4"

Default

This is a really funny thread.

I've always been called thick as a compliment by men who prefer curvier women. I don't want to get into any racial colloquialisms so I'll just leave it at that. You can look up the work thick in the Urban Dictionary if you're interested.

Last edited by ChickieBoom; 03-19-2014 at 03:08 PM.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #27  
Moderator
 
Munchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,202

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
This is a really funny thread.

I've always been called thick as a compliment by men who prefer curvier women. I don't want to get into any racial colloquialisms so I'll just leave it at that. You can look up the work thick in the Urban Dictionary if you're interested.
YEP and YEP.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #28  
Senior Member
 
RVAscreenwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 364

Height: 5'6"

Default

Thick is DEFINITELY a compliment. When a guy describes a lady as being "thick" when they're showing interest (umm... phone number request!) it means that they think she's attractive in a curvy, not-stick insect way. Agree with the "see urban dictionary" suggestion.
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #29  
Junior Member
 
Bout2Lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16

Default

I've been called this a few times. I'm African American. I range from 160-175bs, and I'm 5'8. My stomach is very very flat--don't know why, genetics. I've had some guys say they like that I'm thick and others turn me down because they like skinny girls.

Last edited by Bout2Lose; 04-24-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Bout2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #30  
Senior Member
 
marigrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 810

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default

I can't keep up with this. I'm still trying to process "phatt" ....or maybe I'm just being thick.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.