Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Weight loss & running out of clothes

HA! A problem I really don't mind having! But I officially can fit into everything I own, and own NOTHING too small (kicking myself *HARD* for throwing out all my smaller clothes a couple years ago). Totally fine with that in regular clothes, I don't mind shopping at a thrift store or consignment shop to buy jeans and shirts etc., until I'm at my goal, or close to it.

BUT, it's getting a little spendy to keep buying bras and underwear. Underwear is a little more forgiving, but I JUST bought 2 bras 2 months ago, now they are unwearable. I have 2 very old ones that I can get away with wearing, but they are OLD and worn and unsupportive.

What do you do!? I can't afford to keep buying new bras every other month or so, and it seems that is a place I am losing from the most (although that's gotta slow down soon I'd think), and honestly I don't mind that one bit. My "under bust" measurement has gone from over 40, to 34, and my bust measurement has gone from over 45 to 38 (I say over those numbers because it was a few weeks into things before I took measurements).

Suggestions for this? How did you deal with the underwear situation as you lost weight.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5-4

I'm in the same boat. Luckily when some of my smaller bras stopped fittig me, I got extenders vs. buying a whole new bra. The bras I need run from $60 and up as the average store doesn't sell my size. I'd suggest perhaps getting a smaller bra which should fit you close to what your goal is, and then get an extender. As you lose weight you can hook one closer and then lose the extender altogether when you are small enough. This probably won't work well if you are going down a few cup sizes, for that you'll most likely need a whole new bra, but it's great if you're losing quite a bit in the under bust!
Linkovicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

It is very importaint to stay current with support for the girls. More than anything else, this will help you look slimmer.

I have ONE current bra and one older that I rotate out. This will due until I get closer to my goal weight range.

I check eBay for over stock and get my Panache and Curvy Cate brands for around 30 bucks. These retail at places like Norstrom for way more.
This will always be were I spend my money.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 06-24-2012 at 05:15 PM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Ugh, bras.... And good ones are so expensive. It's one area that's not shrinking fast enough for me!

I had to buy new bras a couple of years ago, but since I knew I'd be done losing the weight soon after, I bought them too small. Well, months went by, and the under wire busted out, but I knew I'd be smaller soon, so I bought them too small again. Now I finally fit in to the too small bras I bought! Now if only the cup size would shrink!

I look for those buy two, get one free sales, or the spectacular sales that Kohls always has.

Last edited by twinieten; 06-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #5  
Stephanie

It's hard because I would like to buy good bras! But the ones I just bought are not only way to small around the middle, but they are half empty lol. They fit well, almost tight, 2 months ago; now they are so big that if I lift my arms over my head the girls come out the bottom, totally unwearable. The old ones are so stretched out I'm constantly tugging at it, I HATE THAT!

I'm a little hesitant to buy too small because I don't want either the around part or the bust part to go down more than the other and have it never fit right. But I might just have to do that! I never thought of the extender! I love that idea. And I might just have to buy cheapies for a while, even though I'd like to buy good ones, it's very hard to justify spending that much $ on something that isn't going to be usable very long.

Ebay is a good idea too! I'd just have to be 100% sure what size I wear in what brands.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/129/125

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations! What a wonderful problem to have! I am holding out on buying new bras til I reach goal. My old bras were getting big and it was pretty sad. If you have access to a sewing machine you can sew the old bras in, taking out some of the width of the part that fits around your chest. I did that to a couple of my bras and it is helping for now. Plus since it is summer and I am a teacher, I am wearing sports bras as much as possible. Good luck!
love2hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW/CW/GW: 250/208/165

Height: 5'4.5"

I have ben buying some on sale t Nordstrom rack. I have gone from
Bust 46, underbust 37 to Bust 41, underbust 33.

Sadly, some of the newer bras I got are feeling too big in the band. I don't want to buy anymore!
jaded408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

You might consider trying the genie bras or the very similar Ahh bras and I think the bratastic. They get mixed reviews, and it seems most women either love them or hate them.

I found mine at Walmart (a set of two for 19.99). When I first tried one on, I hated it. It looked like my least favorite sports bra - kind of squashing, not a lot of support. I bought it anyway because it was better than going braless, and I needed a bra for downdays (I have arthritis and fibromyalgia, and sometimes hae trouble getting into and out of regular bras. Usually I have hubby help, but I was lookng for a bra I could sleep in so if we had company, I didn't have to go braless).

Initially, I thought I'd only wear it on flare days, because I didn't like that it squashed me a bit, making it look like I'd lost about 1/2 of a cup size. However, they were so comfortable, they've become my every day bra, and after they were washed, they actually seemed to fit and support better than in the store.

I ended up buying a bra one size smaller than the box recommended, but it was the largest size they had, so I bought it anyway. Now, I would recommend to anyone who feels the bra isn't supportive enough to try going down another size. Some reviewers recommend wearing two of the genie bras for more support. I would think that would be too warm for me.

However, because of the way the bra is built, it's not only more forgiveing of sizes, it also looks very easy to alter with a sewing machine and very little skill. Taking a bit in at the shoulder straps and sides should work.

I would recommend trying before bying though, just because so many women don't like it. I love mine, and only wear regular bras when I want extra perky suppport with fabulous cleavage. Otherwise, the genie is great.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I moved the hooks on the bra. For me, the underbust measuremeant changed way more than cup size and that bought me some time as the only bras I've found that give me the support I want are $85 each.

I cut off the last 2 rows of hooks, leaving the row closest to elastic (so it didn't come apart) and reattached that set of two on the other side of the row I left. Hope that description makes sense.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #10  
Stephanie

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!! I never thought of the Ahh bra, I may try that next time! I also never thought of re sewing the hooks, great idea!

I sucked it up and went to target and found 2 bras that fit (I tried on about 15 bras of all different sizes and brands), 1 was on clearance. Boy I'm glad I did too, I feel like a different woman!

The bras I bought 2 months ago were 44DD, these ones were 38D! What a HUGE difference! A decent fitting bra makes such a huge difference in my posture!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

When I lost my weight years ago, I don't remember having this problem, but I must have! I had just had a baby, and I vaguely remember wearing nursing bras for that time, but a Genie Bra or cheap bra with tight tank can work in the interim. I know that my bras tend to be $80-100, and I was frugal, so I don't think I would have spent money like that just to do it all again so shortly.

If you wear a common size, can you try Marshalls, Target, TJ Maxx, etc? You may be able to find a good brand without spending too much.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I sucked it up and went to target and found 2 bras that fit (I tried on about 15 bras of all different sizes and brands), 1 was on clearance. Boy I'm glad I did too, I feel like a different woman!
Ha, sorry, I should read BEFORE posting!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #13  

I've been wearing clothes from 41 lbs ago. Safetly pins are my friend!
I wear the same undies but I think to be safe (aka no panties falling down) I think that going down a size in undies every 20 lbs is a good idea. As far as bras, I just wear sports bras. They are baggy, but the plain ones underneath a work blouse just look like a tank. Even an urban/tank bra is wearable if you go down in lbs. I don't look great day-to-day but I do look put together at work.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #14  
Hang in there!

S/C/G: 252/236/145

Height: 5'2

Smile bras on Ebay

I just bought two nice looking no wire bras on Ebay today $9.50 free shipping. Crossing my fingers they fit or I can stitch em up to get me by for awhile. Also, have boxes of clothes that are large, XL. The big girl size 22 clothes are still all I got to put around me, yuck! I am going to have a burn underwear party for myself when I finally get to go down a size. Different manufactures sizes are different. I bought some 10’s not to long ago that are not even close to fitting. I have made a special box for good stuff in waiting
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #15  
the muse of memory

Am having trouble not buying clothes right now, and I am nowhere near close to goal as many of y'all. But everything I've been wearing is now close to falling-off too big. I was able to pull out virtually all of the clothes I had from an earlier weightloss, so my blouses are in good shape. I had a bunch of skirts as well that I have brought back into circulation. This weekend I broke down and bought two new pairs of dress pants for work. Three sizes smaller than the pair I took down out of the closet and folded away.

But I also bought two new shirts that I do not need and a new dress that I really do not need. Honestly, I need to do better with clothes shopping if I am going to emerge from this as financially healthy as I want to be physically healthy.

Bras though, are SO expensive, and no local stores carry my size. The band sizes are usually fine, but I need a bigger cup than DDD. HOWEVER: man, I never thought about altering a bra. I do have a sewing machine and I am going to try that sometime.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote