Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default When buying bathing suits in bra sizes...

Do I need to go by my actual bra size? I'm just worried that a tankini top in my bra size might fit the bust but not everywhere else. Hmm.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I just bought a tankini top in my bra size and it was actually too big! Go figure... I'm honestly not sure how they go about sizing those.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/147.6/130

Height: 5'4"

I am also not so sure how they size them either. I have purchased a swimsuit that was based just on bra size which worried me because I wasn't sure how the bottom half would be sized. Anyhow it worked out because it fit, actually it was a little on the big side but close enough.

I have also purchased a number of bikini and tankini tops based on bra size and generally my normal bra size has been fine. However I also have had bras made by those brands so I've been familiar with the sizing. Generally the tankinis I have seem to be loose on my tummy area even though the bust fits well.

I've also seen stores that offer a DD size. I don't really get that because usually a cup size should be paired with a band size. But at any rate, from what I can tell is they are similar to the large size but with slightly bigger cups.

So really I don't have a good answer, but if you could try something on it probably would be best. At least just to get a feel for the sizing.
LilacGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/195/145

Height: 5'6''

Is there a store by you where you can try some stuff on? Every time I buy swim suits online they don't fit me the way I want them to...
Uchicagogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #5  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Uchicagogirl try and find somewhere where you can try some on. tankinis are awesome.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The Macy's near me had a couple Tankinis by Profile in D cups. However these D cups fit my DD/G cup boobies whereas the bikinis and tankinis I tried at a specialty swim store in the mall n the DD cups were TINY. You really can't tell unless you try them on or can get some feedback on the brand.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
The Macy's near me had a couple Tankinis by Profile in D cups. However these D cups fit my DD/G cup boobies whereas the bikinis and tankinis I tried at a specialty swim store in the mall n the DD cups were TINY. You really can't tell unless you try them on or can get some feedback on the brand.
That's the one I bought, good to know it's not just me!! I'm a G cup and the D was huge... the cups wrapped practically behind me!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #8  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

My internet is REALLY slow today so let's see if 3FC lets me actually post this!

For starters, make sure you're wearing the correct bra size. The best starting place is taking your underbust=band size. I would link to the fit page on my blog but the internet won't let me do much at the moment but if you need help go to my blog in my signature and click on "Finding Bras that Fit", which can help you out with measuring/fit.

Swimsuit are a bit tricky, especially if you're going for one-pieces! I have a long torso and a big butt but slim hips. I have yet to find a one-piece that fits correctly and doesn't just give me a constant wedgie. That being said I have had some great success getting alterations done to turn a one-piece into a bikini so I still got use out of it.

What are you planning to do with your swimwear? Is it for swimming laps/water aerobics? Because if that's the case I'd recommend the Freya Active swimwear (they have a tankini) and I've heard amazing things about them. In that brand they run tight in the back so I do fine going up one band size and down a cup size (I wear a 28HH/J normally and my Frey Active size is a 30GG/H... the 30GG works well for me but I'd probably need a 30H for a better fit).

If you're looking for more casual wear then there are a lot of great brands out there that size by cup size and go up to the higher end of the alphabet. Not sure what your size is but if you let me know I can help you with brands/fit. Depending on the swimsuit you might want to go up a band size but not necessarily. It's a bit confusing, I have to admit, but there are a TON of bloggers out there who have reviewed swimwear so often you can find reviews to get help with sizing on a specific swimsuit/tankini/bikini.

ETA: Also check out Elomi. They just came out with a swimline and I actually really like their concept for tankini's+high waisted bottoms.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 05-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
That's the one I bought, good to know it's not just me!! I'm a G cup and the D was huge... the cups wrapped practically behind me!
I can imagine - I have a big rib cage (wide barrel shaped 34" around at bra level) and so it was fine for me.

I wonder how long it will take to dry though? it's a lot of bra fabric!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #10  

Your best option would be to find a store and try a few on, see which size fits better. In theory, you should be able to go with your bra size, because the measurement takes into consideration your rib cage circumference and not just the size of your actual breasts.

Last edited by Natasha22; 05-09-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote