Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 5'2

Default Laser Lipo

Has anyone had or is considering the Laser Lipo? I came accross an add and found it caught my attention but probably for the last couple of pounds to tighten any loose skin
np1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #2  

I didn't know lipo corrected loose skin. Tell us more!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #3  
it's always something

Np, I don't think Susan meant for her reply to come off the way it did There are definitely a lot of misconceptions out there as to what lipo can or cannot do.

I think a lot of our members can relate to the frustration behind the last little bit of sagging after weight loss or those last few pounds Unfortunately, liposuction can help with the fat underneath the skin but it isn't going to tighten the skin itself or affect how tight your muscle structure is. There are a lot of factors that will affect your skins ability to bounce back, such as age, how overweight you were and for how long, if you've been pregnant, how much elasticity your skin has, genetics, etc. But most people will need to either learn to love their little bit of loose skin or consider a tummy tuck or other skin removal where ever your problem is. Exercise can also work wonders as it helps firm up or build muscles to help with shape.

Laser Lipo does have some advantages because it can cause a slight tightening effect but I've heard there are risks of burns and scars involved. I've read that many doctors feel the risks are too great to recommend it. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Quote:
Jeffrey M. Kenkel, MD, a professor and vice chairman of plastic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and the director of the Clinical Center for Cosmetic Laser Treatment in Dallas, has reservations about the procedure.

"It liquefies fat and there is no data that I am aware of that shows it consistently tightens skin," he tells WebMD. "There is a fine line between skin tightening and injury. I am not convinced that we are at a point where we can safely and predictably offer laser lipo as an option."
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/...-to-remove-fat

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Np, I don't think Susan meant for her reply to come off the way it did There are definitely a lot of misconceptions out there as to what lipo can or cannot do.

I think a lot of our members can relate to the frustration behind the last little bit of sagging after weight loss or those last few pounds Unfortunately, liposuction can help with the fat underneath the skin but it isn't going to tighten the skin itself or affect how tight your muscle structure is. There are a lot of factors that will affect your skins ability to bounce back, such as age, how overweight you were and for how long, if you've been pregnant, how much elasticity your skin has, genetics, etc. But most people will need to either learn to love their little bit of loose skin or consider a tummy tuck or other skin removal where ever your problem is. Exercise can also work wonders as it helps firm up or build muscles to help with shape.

Laser Lipo does have some advantages because it can cause a slight tightening effect but I've heard there are risks of burns and scars involved. I've read that many doctors feel the risks are too great to recommend it. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Good luck!
I haven't discussed it with a doctor yet since it was just a thought, I am kind of scared to undergo any unnecessary surgery. I have lost about 10lbs (all of my pregnancy weight and an additional 10 lbs) I had a baby in June and I am 24 years old. To my surprise from when I started working out last month the skin on my stomach has firmed up way more than I expected it and if it continues this way I think their wont be much of a need for it
np1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm getting treatments called Exilis, which some people call "laser lipo" but it's really a non-intrusive RF technology. RF technology has been used specifically to tighten skin in the past with a procedure called Thermage. Exilis has been FDA approved for treatment of facial wrinkles but it is also used for spot fat reduction. Exilis is less painful than Thermage but the skin tightening is also less dramatic.

I am using it to help reduce my problem spots and tighten the skin in those areas -- little bit of abdomen pooch and fatty inner upper thighs. It does work but you have to have realistic expectations. I am more pleased with the reduction (which is visible but not eye popping) than the tightening at this point, but I haven't finished the treatments yet and the skin is supposed to continue to tighten for a few months after treatment ends. At this point, I do think the skin has tightened a little.

The machine can be used either in reduction or skin tightening mode, and if you only want one or the other, they can focus on that (though there is some of both with either mode). There is also a separate head for the face and neck so the treatment there isn't exactly the same.

There are also true invasive lipo procedures that use lasers. I have not used this. True lipo has more dramatic effects, but at a greater cost and more intrusive (pain, downtime). The lasers are supposed to help tighten your skin in the same way the RF procedures do, but from the inside.

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-13-2011 at 05:55 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote