Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  
Meg

Default What A Wonderful Feeling!

Last edited by Meg; 11-27-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

Congratulations Meg! That must be such a great feeling of accomplishment - yet another NSV showing you all the good you have done.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

And you're a wonderful example for those of us just making our way. I thank you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #4  

Meg,

I just couldn't be happier for you, that had to be just a wonderful feeling, a well earned one.

Congratulations.
Evangeline
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

That's fantastic. Congratulations. I can't wait to reach maintenance and have the feeling that I've pulled it all together. You must be very proud.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #6  
Mel

Congratulations!

I had a similar experience when I had to switch doctors last fall. When my new (very young, beautiful and intimidatingly tall female) internist took my medical history, she didn't believe me when I told her that I'd maintained an almost 60 pound weightloss for 4 years. I actually showed her one of my "Fat Mel" pics to prove it.

Yay Meg!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

YAY Meg!! What great news! YOU are my hero!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Meg and Mel, YAY for you both!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That's fantastic, and something I can now only dream of!

Tho, last week I had a dr.'s appt and my 80 pound weight loss came up. She (young, prett, thin) asked what I was doing... when she heard basically "eat less move more!" She said: "It really DOES work!" I felt pleased, even though I am far from a healthy weight!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 AM   #10  
Meg

Heather! You have a name!!

It's funny how some doctors are shocked that 'eat less, move more' actually works! It seems like they're trained to believe that there's a medical/surgical solution for every problem, so if you're obese - write an RX for a pill or rearrange your insides. But, as we know, sometimes what's needed isn't medical or surgical - it's a lifestyle change: changes in habits, choices, thought patterns ... certainly not what's taught in medical school.

Believe it or not, I actually had a doctor get angry at me for losing weight without surgery. He said that it was 'impossible' and called me a 'freak'. Obviously my weight loss brought up some personal issues of his own, as he was obese and considering WLS for himself, but it still stung. Other doctors just seem baffled and shake their heads when they hear what I've done. They seem to think that it's beyond the realm of the possible for most people, which is nonsense. But unfortunately, too often that seems to be the message the medical system is putting out.

I wish that our medical system today provided more support for people trying to lose weight without surgery or drugs. Or how about support for people post-weight loss, who are trying to maintain? I've mentioned before that the University of Pittsburgh here has a program called 'Life After Weight Loss' that provides nutritional, psychological, and reconstructive surgery support for people who have lost weight .... Cool, huh? Sorry, it's only for people who had WLS. Nada for those of us who did it by 'eating less and moving more'.

No point to this ... just rambling about doctors and weight loss.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #11  

Hi all,

Meg -congratulations!!
Mel -same !

You ladies really are a role model for me. And as for the doctors attitude: they probabely are totally trained to solve everything with medication. As some of you may have noticed I am currently struggling with some mind-issues, and basically my approach is if I get stress-issues from my life than I should change my life. So I'm into a major life-style change for me...doing exercise, taking rest, allowing for failing to do all the things on my list, and enjoying what I can do rather than focussing on at what is impossible. Long story short..most doctors (and most people) find this strange..as it is "impossible to do" as well. however, I find that this works much better for me because it keeps ME in charge, and not some pill or doctor!

The mind is a very strong tool. And the good thing is that we all have one.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Meg - congratulations!

Rabbit, what a great post... It's amazing what the mind can do. I'll have to remember that next time I see the tray of danish pastries in the kitchen!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

Yay Meg! Good for you... that's fantastic!!!

I am sure not there yet... but my doctor DID tell me she was proud of me last time I was there as she can tell I am losing weight and my blood pressure was down a lot.

I am so proud of you for your huge accomplishment!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

One of our Doc's gave me a little hug around the shoulders and told me I'd done well after I told him I counted calories and exercised. Several of them have commented and a couple were happy I'd done something 'sensibly'.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 AM   #15  

Congratulations Meg, Mel and Heather

Rabbit I love your attitude.

My doctor has been one of my best encouragers to lose weight so now he brags to his patients how much weight I lost. It gets a bit embarassing at times when he announces it in the waiting room. But it is also a good feeling. Most of my numbers are good too which makes me happy. All except my diabetic one which has got worse and I was hoping it would get a bit better with losing weight and eating properly. Oh well other than my diabetes gettin worse it is a good feeling to go to the doctor and not have to be embarrassed with my results.
Keya is offline   Reply With Quote