Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - Week of July 11 - 17

Good morning, gang! Thank you all for the ideas about how to deal with eating after work. My first real test will be tonight since I have appointments from 4:00 until 8:30 pm. I think the idea of eating a little something on the drive home is brilliant and then I’ll have the rest of dinner completely waiting when I walk in the door – just heat n’eat. I’ll report back tomorrow on how it goes. I wish I wasn’t going to bed right after I eat, but that can’t be helped – no way I could go to bed without eating something and I can’t stay up later because I have early appointments on Tuesday.

DS and DD left this weekend after spending a week at home. It was just like old times with the four of us and so hard to say goodbye. I don’t know when we’ll all be together again … DD’s working in an ER and doesn’t even know if she will be able to get Thanksgiving or Christmas off since hospitals are open 24/7/365. Boo hoo.

DD and I had a lot of fun working out together. She’s been maintaining her 55 pound weight loss for quite a few months now and her body fat % continues to drop as she works out. So we had lots of fun with mother-daughter shopping trips. Ellen and Robin are so right about clothes being one of the rewards of weight loss.

Time for cardio and then a quick shower and busy day. Have a terrific day!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #2  

Good Mornin' Megster!!

Your days always makes me !!

I can't wait to be at that point with my DD... Right now at 14 for her, I am the mother ... Poor child you really would think I have things growing out of my head on some days *sigh*, oh well this too shall pass...

This week will be busy enough for me I am probably going to drive my dad to treatments at least 3 times... I've recruited my brother a bit more for driving and he in turn seeing how tiring it can be recruited his son for a day or two of driving... So in that respect it's all good...

Well I have a date with a dirty fridge, time to go for me... Working chest later ... TTFN
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #3  

So ... one of my goals when I lost the weight was to buy clothes at Chicos. Thanks to your encouragement, Fri I went and fit into 2's and a pair of 2.5s that were too cute to pass up and spent more money than I wanted and got 3 pairs of pants and 4 tops. I was quite clear with the guy that I was only interested in items on sale, as I was still losing weight and would not get more than a season out of them. When I got home I realized that one pair of pants and two of the blouses he had brought me were NOT on sale. I was fuming most of the weekend. DH said "keep them - you look great in them and you deserve them." But it just pissed me off that he had taken advantage of me. So yeterday I took them back - stood up for myself - I will no longer be walked all over. Before I thought it was because I was fat that people treated me that way. Now I realize it was not about the weight, but just the opportunity to take advantage of someone. Nope, not going to sit still and accept it anymore. No, no, no. Oh, and they took them back with no questions asked and I have some "dress" outfits now.

Food and workouts remain good. I really think I have "clicked" on how much better I feel when I work out regularly and eat clean. I do not want the bloat and lethargy from not doing so anymore. I am off to the dentist this morning, and the valium is starting to kick in (dental phobia), so TTFN (as Ilene says). Have a great week.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #4  

Ilene, your post made me giggle. I am recovering the chairs to my dining room table and was shopping for fabric yesterday. There was a girl who was maybe 14 or 15 there with her mom. They were obviously re-doing the girl's bedroom and it was clearly a very irritating project for both of them. I actually chuckled out loud a little because I remember having the EXACT debate with my mother when I was that age. I wanted to tell the mom, "It is JUST paint and curtains - you can change it when she's gone but for now give her a little freedom!" Of course, my daugther is only 4 so I am perfectly aware that when she's a teenager someone will have to remind me of my own advice. I grew up in the 80's and had the silly hair that was so trendy back then. I look at old pictures and ask my mom why on Earth she let me get cuts like that. She reminds me that hair grows back and if that was the worst thing I ever asked to do then she figured we'd all be in good shape. And she was right. If she'd put her foot down about my hair I probably would have snuck off and gotten a tatoo and a nose ring just to spite her.

I am eating well and exercising often. School will be starting soon and that will shake up my routine and I have to say that I am not looking forward to it. Right now I am at the gym by 5:00 am and get home around 7:00. That works now because DH doesn't have to get the kids up and ready for school. Come August I won't be able to workout until everyone else is out the door. Luckily, my gym offers a free playroom for the kids. Still, I don't like to take my DD and DS more than a couple times a week so I'll have to figure out how to fit most of my workouts into our evening schedule. I am considering still going early in the morning to get cardio out of the way since that will only take an hour or so. I thought if I start doing my weights as splits instead of full body I would really only need a little time at the gym at night. Does anyone else have to go to the gym more than once a day? My concern is that I will get tired of going so often. I guess I could make sure two of my weight workouts fall on Saturday and Sunday so that I can still make just one trip on those days then I'd only have to go twice in a day a couple of times during the week. Sorry, now I'm just thinking out loud.

I feel like I am really struggling with these last 10-15 pounds. On one hand I am content with where I am and know that if I just keep doing what I am doing they will take care of themselves. In the meantime, I am able to concentrate on shaping and strengthening my body. On the other hand, I want to really, really, buckle down and get these last pounds off for the sake of being done with it once and for all. I know nothing about my diet or exercise will change once I reach my goal but I still look forward to having only to worry about gaining weight as opposed to worrying about losing AND gaining weight. Not to mention that I really like shopping for clothes now but, like Ellen, can't justify spending much money on them knowing that I am not going to get much wear out of them.

I am off to get the kids off the couch and away from the television. We've got nothing but rain thanks to hurricane Dennis and we are running out of ways to entertain ourselves. I think it is time for some good, old fashioned puddle jumping. That counts as exercise, right?

Have a great day!
Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #5  

Tricia -- I am quite open to purplish hair ( it's only hair) , DARK purple bedroom, hard rock music blarring along with an electric guitar, yes those are all of my DD's favorite things ... I really don't mind it at all, we still drive each other crazy though specially when she and I both PMS at the same time ... ... I really can't complain because I was FAR worse at that age than she is ... This is probably why I worry so much ...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #6  

I hear ya, Ilene! I had such a hard time minding my own business at the fabric store. I just wanted to say, "Geez, lady, learn to pick your battles!" I don't think my daughter will have a choice but to be a "good" girl. With a rough and tumble brother in the same grade and a Tae Kwon Do brother only two years ahead of her, the poor thing will be lucky if ANYBODY has the nerve to ask her out! Of course, she could be like I was and rebel against it all. But, even if she goes that route I'll at least have two informants keeping me abreast of the latest developments! I've got plenty of time before I have to worry about any of that though. So, for now, I'll just enjoy all three of my kids thinking that I am the greatest thing since sliced bread (whole grain, of course!).
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #7  

Tricia -- ENJOY and SAVOUR every second you have with them at this young age. I agree ''Choose your battles!'' and I repeat to myself OFTEN: ''Is it life threatning, moraly threatning or unhealthy?'' If I can answer NO, then I let it go... I read this in one of Barbara Colorosso's books and it always stuck with me....

Today was a good day food and exercise wise ...
Old 07-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #8  

Hello everyone! We just got back from our camping trip. It was very relaxing. We swam, played miniture golf and read books! Not to mention all the camping stuff.

Meg - Is (will be?) your DD a doctor or a nurse? You must be very proud! I could never make it in the medical profession as feel like I could pass out the minute I smell a medical facility!

Ilene - You are scaring me! My DD is 10 and currently still cute and cuddlely but I have taught high school long enough to know what happens to girls when they go through puberty! It is not pretty.

Ellen - Congratulations on standing up for yourself (even if you had to sacrafice some great clothes to do it!). So does Chicos have a wide selection of size 2's? I have a heck of a time finding dress clothes for school. Go ahead and be vain girl! You worked hard and you deserve it.

Trisha - Welcome to our group. My brother and I were in the same grade in school and he wouldn't let any of his friends date me. I'm not sure that made me a "good girl" though as I ended up dating older guys... but I guess your DD has a bigger brother to take care of that! LOL Enjoy your little ones while you can. They grow up so quickly!

I guess I should try to get caught up from being gone. I have piles of laundry to do and the refrigerator is bare. Gee Ilene do you want to come clean mine since you are finished with yours?!

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #9  

Smile Morning

Good Morning:

Seems very quite here this week. Hope all is well with our little group.
Things are going well on this end. Summer is a happy time of year for me.
It can never get too hot!!! Food and exercise are going well also. The scale and I are still broken up but the pants-o-meter is showing some progress. I can breath when I zipper them!!!! I have eliminated most elastic waisted jogging pants & shorts from my wardrobe. I need zippers to remind me that I can expand along with the pants without even noticing. This is one reason I regained so easily. I stopped wearing the zipper went for the sweats, even when not sweating, and was shoked when the zippers didn't zipper. So from now on sweats are for sweating period.....

Next topic morning exercise. I have been trying to make it a habit but it is very difficult for me. I roll over and shut the alarm more than I get going and then its too late to exercise. I realize it is an important step that I can incorporate in my life to ensure this regain disapears and doesn't reappear.
Any input is appreciated.

Enjoy the summer,
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everybody!

Gina, great idea about the pants. I used to use my jeans for just that purpose. Of course I still wore my stretchy things whenever possible, because I'm basically into comfort above all else (except maybe at work) and NOTHING tailored ever fit me right, fat or thin, but I'd make sure the jeans went on twice a week. Now the jeans hit the storage bin about week 3 of this pregnancy, I bloated up SO fast, but I intend to get them back out ASAP--it is a useful tool.

As for morning exercise, I was always a dedicated night person. When I first changed my lifestyle, I made a deal with myself that no matter how tired, I would always exercise in the evening, or else I'd have to get up early and do it in the morning and that was sufficient motivation so that I didn't miss a day! But eventually I started running (on July 4, 2003) and I was hooked. Tucson + summer = 5 a.m. The motivation to get up and go is so strong, that I still get up that early, even when I haven't really run in months! My two suggestions for what they're worth: go to bed early and then get outside and do something you really love in the morning--the early sun and the love both help the body clock to adjust; OR if afternoon/evening is really better for you, ignore the common morning advice and do it then--make it a scheduled thing, or a habit.

I had some success with my eating finally that I'd like to share. I've struggled so much during this pregnancy with genuine hunger, blood sugar swings (no gestational diabetes tho--passed that test), cravings, hormonally-induced mood swings, and yep just plain ol' comfort eating that I've gained more weight than I should. The old techniques of diet once I gain so much weight or exercise harder just aren't options when you're pregnant! I've already gained the 'maximum' advisable amount and I've still got more than 2 months left to go. So I figured out a reasonable but generous calorie goal for myself, 2500/day with the caveat that if I'm truly hungry, I eat more than that, period--I'd rather work off 20 extra pounds later than put the baby in any danger. I know the number of calories seems huge, but I maintained on about 2000/day plus whatever I exercised off, plus I'm bigger now, and have a baby to grow on top of that. I then divided my waking day into five 3-hour segments and eat 500 calories each segment. It still requires a little dancing, but it is mostly working like a charm. I've had a couple of 'bad' days this week, but my weight gain is now about where it should be and no longer off the charts. Pretty happy about that--it feels like I'm finally doing something positive for myself and the baby, and not just using the pregnancy as an excuse to let myself go.

I'm still not so happy about the idea of restrictring calories during pregnancy, but I think I'm just that kind of person and need the structure. My satiety mechanisms are even more screwed up than before with the additional load! And I'm really viewing it as a goal and not a limit.

Unfortunately, except for some light walking, I think the exercise is pretty much a lost cause til October. In hindsight, maybe expecting to keep running until month 8 was a little unreasonable anyway! It is in the 110F range again, starting to be hot even at 5 a.m. But, I have gotten myself organized for after the baby comes--got a jogging stroller and have an easy triathlon goal for 6 months out, so I feel like I'm doing some good things in that arena too.

Sorry for the long post, but my situation has been so weird lately, and I feel like I'm finally making some progress for once. I know I pick up tips from you guys all the time, so I felt obligated to share in case anyone else hits a situation where standard maintenance techniques don't work (illness, pregnancy) and something I found out might help one of you.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great week.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #11  
Mel

Hi all,
Anne- I'm glad to hear you've got your feet under you again and feel more comfortable with yourself. You know you have the skills to deal with the weight post-partum, and it doesn't sound like you are in the "danger zone" at this point. Hang in there! Wow, just two more months? They'll seem like an eternity for you You should time the next one a little better for the weather, tho.

Gina- Where do you live that it can never get too hot? Here in SE Pennsylvania I feel like I'm drowning in hot soup all the time. Last week I was in Boulder, Colorado and was scorched out there. Baloney on the dry heat; it was just plain hot. Here, it's hot and wet.

Hi Tricia!

Ilene- Purple hair? My dd did magenta once with kool-aid, but only her pony-tail. You are right...pick your battles. Hair grows. My mother is still arguing about the length of mine everytime she sees me and I'm...ok, you know how old I am because you keep telling everyone!

The scale has finally moved to exactly where I want it. What a weird feeling. All my clothes are loose, and if I lose any more, my skin will be way too loose, too. I never in my life thought I'd say "OK, I'm here." Maybe more muscle, but I really don't want to get any smaller Hehe, does that mean I can cut back on the cardio????

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #12  

Mel, I was so glad to read your post. How exciting that you are right where you want to be. I have to admit that the closer I get to my goal the more nervous I get. I have no idea why and it is the strangest type of anxiety. I know that absolutley nothing will change in terms of my diet or exercise once I finally reach my "magic" number. I suppose that I am concerned I won't know what to do with myself if I'm not actively trying to lose weight. Shop for new clothes, I guess? Hopefully, it will only take a few weeks to become comfortable in my new skin, so to speak, and being at my goal will be "normal".

I've been struggling a bit with my body image lately. I don't have any trouble seeing my progress and I don't dislike how I look anymore. But, I don't LOVE how I look just yet either. I'm not any less critical of myself than I was at 214 pounds. I still consider myself fat even though I know I'm not nearly as fat as I once was. Anyway, something interesting happened while I was at the gym the other day. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror while I was on the bike. I didn't recognize myself - I did a double take thinking I had seen someone familiar but I didn't realize it was me. Of course, it was only a split second but what I noticed before I registerd that I was looking in the mirror was a really awesome muscle definition in my legs. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go but I think it gave be a better idea of how I actually look as opposed to how I see myself day to day. Pretty cool and very encouraging!

This might be a question better suited for the LWL thread but I thought I would throw it out here too. Back in college (much fitter days!) I tore the ACL in my right knee and had recontructive surgery. It healed well, I remained active and has never given me any trouble. However, thanks to age and too many years of inactivity it has become a little creaky. I'd like very much to try doing squats at the gym but I am a little apprehensive since squatting even without weights makes me feel a little unstable. I don't think there is anything physically wrong with my knee I just think I've lost the strength I once had in it. Are there any substitutes for squats that might be more suitable? Or, are there any exercises I could do that would help me regain the strength and help me feel more confident doing the squats? I'd love to hear everyone's advice.

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Tricia
Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #13  
Mel

Tricia-
The knee question is the easiest part of your post to address. I have a couple of clients with knee problems and I have a partially torn acl, never repaired. When I first started doing heavy squats and leg presses, I wrapped my knees with ace bandages just to give them a little more stability. I stopped wrapping after about a year and haven't had any problems. I do a lot of HEAVY leg work, including jumping and leaping. The only thing I won't do is jump down, or laterally. For clients with knee issues, I have them start squats against a wall with a stability ball in the small of their back, no weight. Make sure you are positioned so that in the lowest position, your knees are behind your toes. Try to go deep enough that your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your toes should be slightly pointed out. If you feel pain, STOP. If not, you can try it holding dumbbells. If ball squats don't bother your knees, they are a good way to strengthen them in preparation for other types of squats Make sure when you move on away from being supported by the ball and wall you get instruction on proper form.

Ah, the body image problem. I had the opposite experience a few month ago. I saw a picture of myself in a neighbor's scrapbook taken at my highest weight and had no idea who the fat blonde was in the picture. Talk about denial! I can't say that I'm 100% delighted by my body even at this point. I work with bodybuilders and figure competitors, and all the women are younger and, um, surgically enhanced...anything over 10-12% bodyfat is considered fat But I realize that's just another form of disordered eating, and not possible, attractive or maintainable for me. There will always be a little voice in one ear saying "Go for it! Let's see how shredded you can get...let's see not just abs, but those ab veins!" And in the other ear, the voice of reason is telling me that's crazy, unhealthy, and not pretty at my age. I must have three ears, because I also hear food shouting at me still.

Knowing what your goal is can be elusive. I hovered around 15 pounds higher than I am now for about 2 1/2 years and considered that my goal because it was a number that I'd arbitrarily picked out of a hat when I started posting on 3FC. When I got there, I stopped losing, and fooled myself that 1) I was at goal and 2) couldn't lose more. It was very maintainable. I hope I'm not delusional about my current body

So, "right where I want to be" really is "right where I should be" because I'll never know what I want

Another glimpse into the craziness of Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #14  

Thank you so much for responding, Mel. The exercise you described is exactly what one of the trainers at my gym showed me. It isn't so much that my knee hurts as it is that I'm just a wimp and am scared of hurting it again. I remember physical therapy like it was yesterday - my friends who used to help shuttle me back and forth used to call it my "room of doom." And, at 36 I know that I am not invincible - at 19 NOTHING scared me! I'll work up to those squats yet!

Also, thanks for your words of wisdom regarding weight and body image. My ultimate goal weight is one that I've been and was very happy at. But, I am realistic enough not to become too attached to it. I don't expect that at 36 years old and after several pregnancies, one of which was twins, 115-120 will look the same as it did way back when. Honestly, I am more concerned with how I feel and being healthy. But sometimes I have a fleeting moment of being perfectly aware of how much grander my goals could be - everything seems possible when I am eating well and exercising often. I have to remind myself of what it is that I REALLY want from this lifestyle and a perfect body isn't it. I see the same women that you mentioned at my gym and, while I admire there dedication, weight lifting seriously doesn't particularly interest me and I couldn't take the time it would require away from my family if I were. So, for now, I just want to be healthy and fit while setting a good example for my children - being physically attractive is a plus, but I have to make a good effort not to make it my priority.

On the flip side of that, I have days that I have to force myself out of contentment with where I am. Sometimes I hear a little voice trying to convince me that 148 is fine and I should just maintain here for a while, especially since back at 214 pounds 170 seemed unattainable, nevermind anything under 150. Thankfully, the voice of reason always kicks in. I might waste a week here and there, but for the most part I am driven to keep going until I feel I've accomplished what I set out to do.

I feel like I must have multiple personality disorder my stance on my weight and body changes so often. I do my best to just keep going and have faith that I'll recognize my ideal body when I finally get to it.

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #15  

Trisha - It is amazing how our mind can play tricks on us with our body image. When I was in my late twenties I was obsesed with my weight. Probably borderline anorexia. I would look at myself in the mirror and think I was still fat. One day I was in a restaurant and saw someone who looked familiar across the room. I couldn't quite place the person as they had obviously lost a lot of weight and looked skeletal. That is when I realized I was looking in a mirror! If it wasn't for that moment of seeing myself as other did, I probably would have become anorexic. I think women are just always too hard on themselves.

I think the tendonitis is finally healed enough in my knee to start doing some exercise. I, like Trisha, am afraid of reinjuring it. I have never been able to do squats without feeling pain in my knee. Should I try the ball against the wall thing too? It is so nice having two personal trainers to get advice from! I wish you guys were closer so I could come and get trained in person! I'd love to have Meg's stomach!

As much as I would love to have young, smooth skin and the body of my youth. I still think I am much more attractive as a matured woman. I am so much more sure of myself than I was in my 20's. I think that has to be attractive and I didn't have to put any foreign chemicals into my body to get that way. Besides I figure I have a lot less to sag when I am 70!

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote