Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2004, 02:20 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Losing Muscle?

I hope it's all righ to start another post...I feel like I'm interrupting your regularly scheduled program!

I definitely don't want to lose the metabolic capacities of my muscles. Still, the nutritionist I went to see found that I have 148 pounds of lean muscle mass. If my goal weight is 175 (or 185), that doesn't leave much room for water and fat.

Any of you who lost over 100 pounds, did you find that you lost some muscle in your legs because they no longer had to support as much of you? I'm hoping that if that happens, you in turn develop other muscles in the rest of your body, but I wonder if my lean muscle mass will become lower as I lose and if so, if that's the right thing to happen.

Still working on the "losing too much a week thing"...perhaps if you lose muscle in spite of lifting weights and eating program, it's because your body really doesn't need it. Or is it our job to convince our body that it needs the muscle by using it? I don't exactly want to continue with thighs that are 24" around unless I need to. You know?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:31 PM   #2  

I've lost 145 pounds so far, and I STILL have 138 pounds of lean out of a current total of 194. People who weigh(ed) a lot tend to have more lean tissue than would be predicted for their height/age/gender etc. The theory I've heard is that because of our excess weight we actually have more muscle, bone, etc. to support it.

When you lose weight, no matter how slowly & sensibly, you will lose some muscle, it's just inevitable. I belong to a fitness center affilitated with a major medical center, and every year I have a doctor-supervised fitness test. In a little over a year I lost 30 pounds, but 5 of that was lean tissue. That's just a natural part of the process, and I DO weight train. It probably would have been more if I didn't.

My initial goal is to get to 22% body fat, which is a respectable number for a woman my age (42). If I don't lose any more lean, that'll put me at about 180 pounds! And I'm only 5'9"! So, I think it's really important to have goals based on BODY FAT %, not weight, for just the reasons above.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Really good point, Funniegrrl!

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to hearing more from others!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #4  
Meg

Hey chickie! There IS no regularly scheduled program so you post just as much as you want to — you are ALWAYS welcome here!

Again, all I can give you is my personal experience since I don’t have any formal education in any of this (so take it or leave it ). My trainer explained to me (and others may disagree) that the goal with muscle building while losing a lot of fat is to try to preserve as much muscle as possible BUT that in the end, some muscle will inevitably be lost along with fat. In other words, it’s not possible to lose 100% fat and no muscle. So we want to keep building muscle to minimize any muscle loss.

I started at 108 pounds of LBM, peaked at 136 (when I weighed 200 pounds), and ended at 114 (now it’s up around 117 — 119 pounds). So I gained and then lost muscle as the last pounds came off but still ended up with more than I started with. In answer to your question, I don’t think I lost muscle in my legs — in fact, I’m sure I added some — but I sure as heck lost a lot of fat. Let’s see, my starting thigh measurement was 29” and ending was 18”, so that’s 11 inches (at least) of pure lard GONE.

Our legs and backs are indeed naturally strong because of us carrying around obese bodies — it’s strength training every minute of every day. And that’s a great thing — we’re actually better than “normal” people in a gym! For once!

My advice to you is keep doing what’s working so well for you food-wise and keep lifting weights and just monitor your progress. The fat’s going to come off unevenly, in funny lumps, in big chunks, and at it’s own pace. You’ll know when you get to the right place for your body to maintain. And I really think that you’ll be happy with your thighs (and all of the rest of you) once you get there!

Edited to add: I agree with Funniegrrl about BF % as being a better goal than scale weight, especially for those of us who started off obese.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Very, very good points, Meg! It makes sense to me.

LOVE your thigh loss...wow!!! How awesome is that?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:45 AM   #6  

LOL Meg's right ... the normal people, men and women, look at me funny when I leg press 200 pounds ... my leg muscles are only getting stronger
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Jack, thanks for the wisdom, as always!

Go Eat An Apple, I am always mesmerized by your avatar...it's like an Escher drawing! 200 lbs! Wow!!!

My legs have always been strong and my arms are weak floppy things. My trainer has me doing dumbell exercises with 10 lbs dumbells and I am dying!