3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers! Let's Just Lose It! Lose It! Lose It! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/310194-maintainers-lets-just-lose-lose-lose.html)

saef 07-12-2016 10:24 AM

I'm at 147.2 again but I don't trust it because the scale is sleepy and too much time passed between my "fake" weigh-in, to re-set it and thwart the memory function, and my real weigh-in.

I'd describe my use of TV as a form of background music or as random visual stimulation, like when I am chopping up four or five different kinds of vegetables. For use, it's fine with me if the movie is mediocre and if I've seen it many time before. I am okay with seeing "White Chicks," "Bridesmaids," "Zombieland," "The Big Lebowski" or something on that order for the 19th time. (I wish they'd put "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" or "This Is Spinal Tap" on more frequently.) It's, what? A calming device? Like someone making small talk in the background? Or the hum in a restaurant?

My tolerance may have to do with rarely watching TV news but instead mostly reading the NY Times website. Lately TV news makes me turn away.

JayZeeJay 07-12-2016 11:47 AM

Argh, I tried a weigh in again in a different room. The weight is still up to 20 lbs different based on where I put the scale. Time to move it downstairs to the kitchen, and possibly change batteries. Not that it is critical, but it does seem like weighing at least every few months is a good idea. Because we all know how the human brain can believe almost anything without evidence to the contrary.

I didn't mean to sound preachy about the idiot box thing; I've heard that there are very good shows on cable these days. And back when I was on my feet 14 hours each day without breaks, it was all I could do to slump in front of the tv afterward and slurp down dinner.

Shannon in ATL 07-12-2016 03:06 PM

This summer is really trying to beat me, y'all. Whew.

DH got his ultrasound results back and has a large cyst on his kidney - CT scan later this week. So far, all indications are that it is benign and filled with drainable fluid, we'll know more after the CT scan. They will have to drain it as it is causing back pain and near constant nausea from the size of it and it pressing out on everything in there. If it does turn out to be malignant, that is a different conversation.

It has been too hot to run since mid-May. The three times I've tried I ended up sick after from the humidity.

On the upside, my uncle decided to voluntarily check himself into rehab. He went this morning, we won't hear anything for 30 days. He could be there up to 90 days I think. I hope this is a good step.

I'm less tired today than the last few days, but not back to 100%.

Yoga, exercise, headspace all good. Food, not so good. Trying to get better.

silverbirch 07-12-2016 03:51 PM

Dropping in for a moment.

Shannon, good news about your uncle. And fingers crossed for your DH.

JayZeeJay, low tech solutions to the scales problem first? Change the batteries before major rebuilding work to level the floors, is my advice.

Seeing my trainer tomorrow. That's good as a bit of driving has irritated my SI joint and hip. It's settling down but I'd rather not have this happening.

Shannon in ATL 07-12-2016 04:29 PM

Birchie - have I told you that I think about you almost every morning when I first move to downward dog? It triggers memories of a conversation from years ago about flexibility. Don't know why that conversation stuck with me. I hope that the trainer helps with the joint pain. :(

JayEll 07-12-2016 09:20 PM

Birchie, do you have a wedge pillow for your carseat? That has helped me.

Shannon in ATL 07-12-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayEll (Post 5270172)
Birchie, do you have a wedge pillow for your carseat? That has helped me.

Jay, does the wedge go behind your back?

JayEll 07-13-2016 06:56 AM

Shannon, no, the wedge pillow goes on the seat, with the thick side toward the seatback.

Car seats sometimes wear lower in the rear, putting the spine at an odd angle. The wedge solves that problem. I used to be almost unable to walk after a long drive in our old car until I bought a wedge pillow. Everyone is different, though.

Here's the one I use. There are many styles one can find, at a range of prices.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/282c...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

saef 07-13-2016 09:08 AM

I'm at 147.4, with a slow but probably accurate scale reading.

Becky, you're right, I'm not gimpy now unless I try to run for a steps. The other limitation is that it's really painful to kneel on the left leg. The internal pressure on that piece of metal doesn't feel very good. I am still watching for an email from my lawyer saying she's close to settling this thing. The insurance company changed adjusters and she sent along photographs of the scarring and discoloration, but that's the last I heard.

I'm recovering from a presentation at work yesterday to a group Vice President. About six slides in, after visible restlessness, she said, "You've been misdirected." We had not done the work she wanted us to do. This was on the head of her direct report, the head of our division, who'd given us specific instructions on what to do, which now turned out to be wrong. What a waste of hours of of work. The only way to salvage the situation was to listen to the VP dictate what she actually wanted. So I tried to write it all down and ask intelligent questions. There goes another weekend probably as I can't figure out how else to pivot and get this done by the middle of next week while also doing my midyear performance assessments for my direct reports.

traveling michele 07-13-2016 09:39 AM

Shannon,
Good thoughts for your dh and uncle!

alinnell 07-13-2016 10:02 AM

Oh goodness, saef. I sure hope that the VP recognizes that it was the head of your department and not you that caused the misdirection. Was there any indication that that was the situation? Was your department head in the presentation?

Wednesday morning, weigh up for inexplicable reasons.

S-good 7ish hours
E-30 minutes on the treadmill
B-berries and yogurt
S-cheese stick
L-salad and yogurt
D-either a veggie-full pasta dish or a southwest turkey club with carrots and celery

JayZeeJay 07-13-2016 11:38 AM

Shannon, it sounds cautiously optimistic for your DH, fingers crossed for continued good news.

New job starts tomorrow... cue depression. But not an excuse to dive headfirst into cookies. Right JZ?

UK politics continue to headline the online news outlets I frequent. It's incredible, the major changes that are happening at such speed.

Shannon in ATL 07-13-2016 01:08 PM

No cookies, JZ. Nope nope. You don't need those things. Good luck tomorrow!

Saef - that is spectacularly annoying about the report. :(

Jay - thanks for the picture, my doctor mentioned a wedge pillow with no detail and that was not at all how I pictured it.

I've eaten well the last two days. As I haven't had two days in a row where I was pleased for my food in about a month, I'm pretty alright with that.

silverbirch 07-13-2016 03:49 PM

Wednesday

Good with my trainer today. We put together the final components in what is going to be rather like a pretty good John Travolta routine - hips, legs, arms, hands - the works. I came home and went to sleep for an hour and a half.

Yes, Shannon, I remember that conversation. I'd forgotten I used to do the downward dog. I think we were talking about tight calves. I'd say I'm fitter in some ways and not in others when compared with then. Probably fitter, really, and I have much more knowledge of my body now.

JayEll, thanks, yes I did try the wedge and it was quite good for a while. It's still knocking around here somewhere. Then I met a man in a car park (no, this is not the beginning of a joke) when I was looking around at cars, about to buy one. He let me look at his, his dog was very welcoming and ... he had a Backfriend. I now use one of these in the car, in the kitchen (v bad chairs here) and at work. Most car seats seem to tilt backwards, even when they're new and they make me very uncomfortable. Perhaps I'll be OK in the brave new world when I've got the Travolta routine just so but, for now, the Backfriend is my friend.

Saef, a nightmare. And a waste of time - unless you're an existentialist. Or me, when I've lost my way in a strange town. I always say that I am learning something which will help me somehow. And it often does. But your experience sounds so stupid and infuriating.

Allison, thanks for posting your food plan so religiously. I should perhaps go back to that.

JayZeeJay, I hope it goes well at the new workplace! I seem to remember that your plan was for it to be less stressful there, wasn't it? Fewer Nobel Prize winners knocking around may help, perhaps?

And, finally, the situation in the UK. No! We're not stuck in our ways over here in the Olde Worlde. We like to change things around from time to time! It's like exercise, doing the same things mean that you don't progress! I fall into the politics nerd/junkie category - there was a time last week when you had to check the news every hour to keep up. The other category of people is phlegmatic: 'It'll all sort itself out in the end, won't it?' I know a lot more about individual politicians now, I must say.

[Have just deleted rude remarks about one of our politicians here, remembering that 3FC is a politics-free zone. You know, the one we've got with the fair hair that he messes up before going on the television. Who untucks his shirt too.]

ETA this tweet which shows how we've become addicted to change (joke): "May's appointment of #Boris shows a lack of judgement. Surely it is now time for her to resign"

Off to bed to avoid eating a bowl of c*r**l or m**s*i.

alinnell 07-14-2016 09:11 AM

Thursday morning, weight unchanged. I've been pretty religious in eating cleanly and exercising regularly, so this is starting to get on my nerves.

S-good 7ish hours
E-30 minutes on treadmill
B-berries and yogurt
L-leftover pasta (1/2 serving from last night) and yogurt
D-club sandwiches, carrots and celery