Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat September 28 - October 4

Mesmerized last night by the Super Moon, Harvest Moon, Blood Moon, Total Lunar Eclipse. I watched the first hour from my favorite chair while reading - the window faces East, then walked to a local park with a small 'hill' where DW and I met friends and their dog. We didn't stay to find out if it ended, but we can check tonight to see that the moon's still there.

Meals are great; snacks remain an issue for me.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I tried to watch the Lunapolooza but we had too much cloud cover so I only caught glimpses. Very mysterious and cool though. I did see the moon - huge and bright - earlier in the evening and it was a beautiful thing. Trixie and I enjoyed our hour-long sit on the front porch as it was still beautiful weather. First time this year I've sat on my porch and relaxed. I will find time next year to do a lot more of this.

I have all sorts of things on the go this week and am shocked to see that it will be October on Thursday ! Where did September go? Was there a month eclipse?

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We saw the moon as it rose in partial eclipse, said we should go out when it was a full eclipse, and promptly forgot. The partial that we saw was pretty cool. And the moon was still up when I got up this morning, so all is good, Bill.

That reminds me that my MIL's family (partially from their LDS religion) believes things happen during eclipses like we had last night. They think they'll be "raised up" (I imagine something like the rapture) during these things. It's hard for me to fathom those kinds of thoughts in this day and age.

We ended up golfing Sunday morning and I did okay--only a couple errant shots but my chipping was off and in the end the round didn't score well for me. It was hot and humid. We're hoping for it to cool down this week and if so, we'll golf at a regulation course next week.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Going to a new doc today--trying to establish a "primary care physician." All the ones I have had keep up and moving away or leaving the practice.

I'm thinking this doc is going to have something to say about my weight. I know you all know how anxious-making that can be.

Will report back.

Alinnell, not sure that's an LDS thing or just conservative religious folklore. Sounds like you're really enjoying your golf!

Mudpie, I think there must have been a month-clipse.

Bill, we couldn't see it here because of cloud cover. Darn!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hope you like the new doc, Jay! Having a doctor you like and trust is so important.

We pretty much missed the moon saga. It was very cloudy and by the time the cloud cover lifted, the moon just looked big and bright. Looked pretty cool this morning too, though.

Not a stellar weekend for us.

Skip if you don't want to read gross dog stuff!!

We took the dogs to the vet Friday afternoon. When we were leaving I saw a basket of toys. The gal said "take one". Little did I know that was their ploy... Ellie happily chose a stuffie and carried it to the car and home. She was happily squeaking it..... We left for a brief dinner and came home to carnage that was once the toy. Fluff everywhere but no squeaker in sight. Went to bed and I was woken up by Dewey the dachshund (who sleeps with us) jumping out of bed to puke. Cleaned that up. Went back to sleep. Then he woke me up to go out and be sick. Then he was sick in our bed... you get the picture. Dh ended up on the couch downstairs while I tried to sleep in dd's bed. Dd's cat was so thrilled someone was in the bed that she wouldn't stop kneading every soft bit on me and purring.... Dewey was beyond sick in the morning so we were at the vet when they opened. X-rays showed no squeaker so the vet assumes he ate fluff. Two shots later, meds and a bland diet and he was home.... felt super puny but hasn't been sick since. Yesterday morning, though, Ellie threw up twice (she has never thrown up before), and then felt fine, so either she ate the squeaker?? or fluff?? We've searched for the squeaker and not found it. So, that put a damper on our Saturday plans big time. Sunday was a little more normal but we still stayed close to home.

This week/weekend has some challenging but fun food things happening. I bought tickets to a James Beard Celebrity Chef dinner event for Wednesday night. It is all inclusive including (I think) the alcohol, so even though I almost never drink, I'm planning on imbibing and we will take an uber to and from the restaurant. Have no idea what the chefs will serve but am super excited to find out.

Friday I'm leaving work after noon and dh and I are going to Monterey for the weekend. We've already got a few decadent meals planned. I can only hope I don't undo all of the recent weight loss I've gotten by next week.

Planning on being super focused and dedicated to food and the gym all of the days possible to offset the food!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #6  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
We saw the moon as it rose in partial eclipse, said we should go out when it was a full eclipse, and promptly forgot. The partial that we saw was pretty cool. And the moon was still up when I got up this morning, so all is good, Bill.

That reminds me that my MIL's family (partially from their LDS religion) believes things happen during eclipses like we had last night. They think they'll be "raised up" (I imagine something like the rapture) during these things. It's hard for me to fathom those kinds of thoughts in this day and age.

We ended up golfing Sunday morning and I did okay--only a couple errant shots but my chipping was off and in the end the round didn't score well for me. It was hot and humid. We're hoping for it to cool down this week and if so, we'll golf at a regulation course next week.
I'm LDS, and can equivically state that we don't believe in the rapture.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Greetings, Raisin5Cookies!

Back from the appointment with the new doc. Really, really thorough and knowledgeable doc, and not one word was said about my weight. I think this one is a keeper.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Greetings, Raisin5Cookies!

Back from the appointment with the new doc. Really, really thorough and knowledgeable doc, and not one word was said about my weight. I think this one is a keeper.
Good for you Jayell! It's hard to find a good doctor.

Dagmar
Old 09-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Michele, I hope that Ellie did not eat the squeaker, but not being able to find it isn't good. I think most dog toys are bad news unless they are closely supervised. Even rawhide chews can cause problems. Good luck with all that.

JayEll, glad you like the new doc so far. Although hopefully he/she will discuss lifestyle changes before wanting to push meds on you. That's the problem with doctors who do not like to discuss weight.

Supermoon was Superflop in my neck of the woods due to overcast skies. Bill, glad you had a good view of it.

Dagmar, hooray for relaxing on the porch in beautiful fall weather. Our nights are cooling off, but days still hovering around 100.

I had a great day hike on Saturday but my knee talked to me about it all yesterday. Feeling somewhat better today.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
JayEll, glad you like the new doc so far. Although hopefully he/she will discuss lifestyle changes before wanting to push meds on you. That's the problem with doctors who do not like to discuss weight.
Really? I've never noticed that. And I wasn't going there to talk about my weight anyway. My BP is perfect and my blood glucose is fine.

Besides, no one pushes anything on me. There are medications that I would simply refuse to take.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #11  

Ugh... Ellie has super bad diarrhea now. Dh is taking her to the vet when they open. I'm praying she is okay and will be okay quickly as we are going out of town Friday!

Will most likely derail my exercise plans today for sure..... and I didn't get my doggie walk in this morning as I figured it wasn't a good idea for either doggie.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #12  

Michelle Both dogs could have picked up a bug at the vet's. Just another possibility in addition to destroying the toy and eating the squeaker/stuffing. BTW I was quite surprised to see a vet giving out stuffed toys. I never give "stuffies" to young dogs as gifts.
"Stuffies" are intended for the owners. The dogs would probably much rather have a sturdy ball or bone or similar. Nothing much cute about those but much better to play with for dogs.

Dagmar
Old 09-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

JayEll, I feel the same way about medications - they'll never get me to take the ones I don't want to take. But my DH is more the typical patient. He's at least 50 lbs overweight, and takes all the typical "old man" meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and GERD. (At least he's not diabetic yet). His doctor never talked about weight or lifestyle, just told him he needed to be on the meds. I saw an article based on a survey of doctors, that basically said most doctors do not think the patients will be compliant about changing lifestyle, therefore they do not waste time mentioning it and possibly offending the patient. That's where I was coming from.

Michele, good luck to you and Ellie.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #14  

Dagmar--
I was surprised too that they gave out stuffies.... and we certainly won't pick one up next time!! I thought of a bug too but it seemed too quick-- we were there Friday at 4:30, they ate the toy by 6:00 (we really need to put a camera/ monitor in to see who is really doing what!), and Dewey was sick by 10:30 pm. Ellie didn't vomit till the next morning... but maybe they got a virus from our walk.... who knows....

Dh picked her up and she is home in her crate. Hopefully I won't find a mess when I get home. They're both on flagyl and a bland diet.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

HowlinAtTheMoon, it seems to be true that not that many people actually change their lifestyles successfully. I think this is especially true the older one gets, simply because making that change is a more difficult proposition.