Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Michelle, can we see a picture of Ellie?
Here is my silly girl thinking she can still fit into the little kitty bed!

IMG_6135.JPG
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I love Dobies! And yes, she is a silly girl. Lots of Dobies have rather zany personalities.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #18  
Workin' It

I've seen a number of rebuttal articles out there from people who work at Amazon and swear the company isn't that bad and that the people interviewed were disgruntled. I also have a friend who used to work there back in the day, was one of the founding employees as a matter of fact, and he still knows a number of people there. He is highly offended at the statements that have been made about the company. I suspect it is probably somewhere in the middle - most US companies these days tend to expect too much from people, I think. We have recovered some from the desperate drive to work a zillion hours a week to make sure we keep our jobs that would be hard or impossible to replace, but companies still remember that one employee could do the work of 1.75-2 a few years ago when times were tight. It makes it hard to balance the expectation.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've seen a number of rebuttal articles out there from people who work at Amazon and swear the company isn't that bad and that the people interviewed were disgruntled. I also have a friend who used to work there back in the day, was one of the founding employees as a matter of fact, and he still knows a number of people there. He is highly offended at the statements that have been made about the company. I suspect it is probably somewhere in the middle - most US companies these days tend to expect too much from people, I think. We have recovered some from the desperate drive to work a zillion hours a week to make sure we keep our jobs that would be hard or impossible to replace, but companies still remember that one employee could do the work of 1.75-2 a few years ago when times were tight. It makes it hard to balance the expectation.
I hope you're right, Shannon. I rely on Amazon way too much! I order weekly if not daily! I keep thinking that surely we would have heard something before now if conditions were overall that poor. It does sound like the CEO wants to get to the bottom of allegations-- they can't afford the bad publicity so I suspect they will work out any real issues.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #20  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Ellie's so adorable! Yes, dobies can have some interesting quirks. Like mine is driven crazy by the sound of buzzing insects, so she snaps at them and chases them incessantly... then last weekend she caught a bee
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Ellie's so adorable! Yes, dobies can have some interesting quirks. Like mine is driven crazy by the sound of buzzing insects, so she snaps at them and chases them incessantly... then last weekend she caught a bee
My Great Dane loved catching and eating bees! She must have gotten a weird buzz from them!

Is your Dobie black and tan, or red? We've always had black and tans before, and Ellie is our first Red. I've heard they have different personalities and she is definitely showing that to us. Soooo much energy too!!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #22  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I choose to believe the article about Amazon, because I work in tech, and it's what my workplace culture is like, so I feel as though the people interviewed in the article are testifying about my own experiences.

Also, I can afford not to use them, because as I said, I've ordered maybe two or three things from them in as many years.

But I am not sanctimonious about this stuff because, after all, I read the Times articles on the exploitation of nail salon workers, and I keep going to a neighborhood nail salon. On a recent trip there, the woman to my right, a slight acquaintance through my gym, started talking to me about the article and how she'd questioned the owner about whether the workers were happy. She talked in a loud voice as though two of those workers weren't in fact filing and painting our nails at the time.

I saw the girls duck their heads a little and smile tight smiles to themselves while my neighbor blathered on. I still wonder what those smiles meant. But yeah, I keep going there because it's inexpensive and convenient, and that's the same argument for using Amazon. Nail salons aren't shutting down in the wake of the Times article either. So I do not expect Amazon to experience any long-term negative effects, because, hey, Wal-Mart is still thriving, and that's capitalism, and we live in a capitalist society.

Last edited by saef; 08-20-2015 at 03:18 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Didn't see the article but we now haven't got a lot of choice for books in Canada. Most of the independents have had to shut down. Chapters Indigo is awful - for selection, for service, and god help you if you open an account and then forget your password. Same with CD's, DVD's, etc. Amazon is about it for us up here.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #24  

Has anyone ever had their doctor call and say you need to come in to discuss lab work results? I'm trying really hard not to freak out. This is with my dd that lives out of state. She had an abnormal result recently and they were retesting. She is prone to anxiety and she was freaking out after the call. She isn't going in until next Wednesday. I talked to her about calling the doctor today and either getting in or getting some information. After she came down from her anxiety, she was calmer and said she could wait till Wednesday. Of course, we both got on google and self-diagnosed her with a very rare disease! Gotta love/hate technology.

Yesterday I went to see a new chiropractor that my doctor swore was a miracle worker. It was unlike any chiropractor visit I've ever had. There was a second doc that came in and checked my muscles/joints and adjusted those. It was incredible.... I had the best yoga class after in forever. Weirdly though, my equilibrium was off last night, and just barely this morning so I suspect it's my body reacting/adjusting to something.

TGIF!!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #25  
Workin' It

Yes, I have. Several times. It always turned out to be nothing serious. Once my electrolytes were off, others were quirks that came out fine. Did they tell her which specific result was abnormal? ETA - stop googling. It will drive you nuts.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #26  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Michele, yes, I have too, in fact this happens routinely. It's simply because my doctor is a skinflint, and wants Cigna to pay for the office visit, which it wouldn't do if he just released the results over the phone or mailed them to me. So I always have to go to his office, get the ritual weigh-in & finger-prick for blood sugar, and then get my test results.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote