Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 22 - June 28

We did a Summer Solstice bird walk last evening. It's a weird event because birds are easiest to see in the morning when they're up chasing bugs for breakfast. We didn't see a lot of birds, but had fun walking in the cool evening, which is the point.

Welcome Summer!!!
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I wore shorts for the first time this year in honour of the solstice yesterday, and also because it was warm enough to do so.

Back the the long pants this morning though. Hoping to be able to take my my jacket off later today.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I got up early in preparation for a long day. Our estimator is off this week so it should be quiet in the office, but I have to keep an eye on everything. There may be a last minute trip to SLC to see to things with my Dad. I spoke to him yesterday and he says he feels better as the new medication seems to be working (he's lost 10 pounds in 2 days) but that he has trouble sleeping. It wasn't a good conversation. He really sounded tired and didn't contribute much. Often we're on the phone for 20 minutes or more. Yesterday was less than five minutes.

Hoping to hear that we'll get our new A/C soon. The current unit didn't give us any trouble this weekend, but it's one of those things that can go out at any time. The worst is if it conks out while we're not here--the fan just runs and runs and blows hot air and then it's difficult to cool the house when we do get home. If the bad unit were the one that cools the middle of the house, we probably wouldn't even worry about changing it out, but this one is in the family room and kitchen area where we spend most of our time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Had some great summer thunderstorms yesterday and last night - 1.5" of rain. The humidity has been in the 80-95% range for a couple of days so it was nice to break through.

Prepping for a garage sale Friday-Sunday. I am very much looking forward to making a bunch of stuff go away.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Starting to emerge, I think. My uncle's funeral went well and so did refreshments afterwards. Lots of meeting up of old friends and relations. There's no hurry to wind up his estate although I'm moving steadily forward.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Had some great summer thunderstorms yesterday and last night - 1.5" of rain. The humidity has been in the 80-95% range for a couple of days so it was nice to break through.

Prepping for a garage sale Friday-Sunday. I am very much looking forward to making a bunch of stuff go away.
I'm with you Becky on making stuff go away. I'm looking at moving in about 4 years and I don't want to take along all the junk we have already collected since the last move.

I live with someone who hates to throw stuff away so I have to get rid of my own junk quietly. Most of it is DVD's and CD's and I know DH will grab a bunch of them back if I put them out in front of the house.

Too bad there aren't and second hand stores out there any more - I used to box stuff and leave it behind their door.

Dagmar
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #7  

The first thing one does in the morning should not be collecting dog urine in a pan. Even before coffee. SIGH - this is a looong dogsit. And to think I could have spent 3 weeks here, instead of 2. Glad, glad, glad to be going home on Sunday.

Dagmar
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so surprised you don't have second hand stores there, Dagmar. We have a bevy of them here from those that support particular churches, those that support particular groups of people (handicapped, mostly) and even one that supports Habitat for Humanity. We also have a large community of consignment stores that often have such outlandish furniture I wonder who on earth would buy such stuff.

Update on my Dad. He says he feels better. The new medication is working to drain him of fluid, but unlike most who retain water, he also has high sodium levels in his body so the doctor wants him to drink water. It seems counter intuitive. Meanwhile we are putting in hospice care. The doctor things there is another underlying problem, possibly cancer, that is causing these worsening symptoms but no one wants to put a frail 93 year old through testing, etc. just to find out he has something like that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote