Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat March 30 - April 5

Finally got over the mounds of snow to go look for winter ducks in the Atlantic Ocean. They were there - cold doesn't seem to bother them.

I saw two guys out with one of those new quadcopters - but didn't get a chance to see it fly. It looked significantly smaller than a Great Black-backed Gull. Look forward to hearing the first story of a large bird and a quadcopter duking it out.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

You got me Bill - had visions of people flying IN teeny copter so had to look it up. They have one video taken by a device mounted on the copter itself - cool! Not sure what most birds would make of it.

I'm feeling that winter is finally starting to end here. Just the quality of the light in the a.m. and the fact that the gusting winds this morning don't feel like icy blasts from Antarctica.

Not time to break out the salads yet but I'm starting to think about them.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Walked over an early British suspension bridge this morning en route to my trainer. He's moved premises and although I could park outside, this is going to be a regular walk for me as it gives me such pleasure. There was a chilly wind out in the middle and I'd decided not to wear my hat as spring is here. Wrong decision.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #4  
Sheree

Today I climbed 5 floors of stairs instead of taking the elevator. :-)

I also had grapes instead of a chocolate bar.

I focus on having nutritious foods now, instead of going for the quick junk food fix.

It has been a great day! :-D

Hope everyone has a great day too.
Weight loss mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone! Checking in the for the first time in a while as work continues to be crazy. My whole family had the stomach flu the week before last and are finally all recovered from it, though the kids were acting cranky last night and this morning so hopefully they are not coming down with a third stomach flu. This has been the worst year for stomach viruses here! Everyone's had at least one and many have had multiple.

One of my kids is in a severe mommy phase. She doesn't want DH to comfort her, pick her up, change her diaper, etc, she only wants me. Poor DH has his feelings hurt by it but I'm not sure what to do about it. Both of them seem to prefer me right now. I told him maybe he should try to comfort them as soon as they start crying, even if they're crying because they did something stupid (like hitting themselves in the face with a book, which has definitely been a thing that has happened). He tends to scold them for whatever they did, then try to comfort them if they don't calm down quickly enough, but I think the scolding just makes them cry harder and makes it hard to comfort them. On the other hand, DH thinks they cry more when I'm at home because I always comfort them immediately.

It was freezing here last week but hopefully warming up this week. I'm hopeful it will continue to be warm instead of reverting back to freezing again!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

DS was home last week for Spring Break. He left last night and had to endure 25 mph on the freeway. The traffic was backed up due to a fire we think. He texted when he go to Los Angeles but not when he got back home to Irvine. I'll have to check in with him before his first class to make sure he got home okay. A mother always worries.

My golf game seems to be improving. I shaved 5 strokes off my usual score. I'm not going to take any more lessons for a while as I need to let everything sink in. Next weekend we'll only get to golf one day.

My in-laws are trying to buy a home here. They haven't gone through the escrow process since 1992 and keep commenting on how much stuff they need to turn in to qualify for a loan. I think they're wishing they hadn't started. I told them last night that if things fall through they should move in with us for the summer and just concentrate on selling their motor home and then try again in the fall.

We hit 100 degrees this weekend. It's only March! Much too soon for this to happen.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I set out for the gym in the dark this morning around 6 AM, passing the live-in nurse for an elderly lady in my apartment building, with whom I always chat briefly. She told me to be careful, that rain was coming. But by the time I reached the corner, there was sleet hitting my face, and once I actually arrived at the gym, it was snowing. It has stuck to the grass, at least briefly, though not to the roads. It feels like another postponement of our much wished-for spring.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad you made it back safely from the gym, Saef.

Allison-- hope ds did too. I know that mommy worry all too well. My dd is always on social media and if I text her, she usually replies within minutes. I texted her yesterday and didn't hear back for hours. Just when I was started to get concerned, she replied. I asked what she'd been doing all day and she replied-- church and a church choir concert. Glad I don't have to really worry about her!

Jessica-- I remember those stages and phases with my girls. It is hard not to get your feelings hurt. And you and dh are bound to disagree about how to handle discipline, etc. Good luck getting through it all. Once this phase changes, you'll be in a new one. You just get to do them all double duty!

I'm grouchy at myself for eating too much this weekend. I'm over my redline with my cruise looming. I was bound and determined to have some wiggle room before I left, but that doesn't look too likely now. And I'm going to miss at least one day at the gym this week due to my stupid nails! I had a hair appointment on Saturday at 10 am. New person and I was getting everything done-- cut, color, highlights-- I haven't had my hair done in a long time and apparently it was a mess. I had to cancel my 2:00 nail appointment because I wasn't done! I hate sitting-- it feels like such a waste of time!

Off to work. My last week before Spring Break!

We have a pickup day for Ellie-- May 2. Dd wants to come home that weekend to go with us too!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My DD is on social media so I rarely worry about her. DS not so much. But he usually calls me once a week. I did text him in the morning to which he responded and then he called me Monday night.

We went out for sushi last night. Yum! Weight down almost a pound as I didn't eat much (7 pieces plus some edamame). When you all go out for sushi, how many pieces of a roll do you usually eat.

Getting my hair done this afternoon and then running to Trader Joe's to pick up some multi colored carrots to go with our Easter dinner (braised lamb shanks over mashed potatoes). I didn't know that carrots came in all sorts of colors and that the Dutch "picked" the orange one to be more popular as it matched their flag.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Very little chatting this week. Guess I'll talk to myself....

I'm bringing three students on a field trip tomorrow--to a bookstore and a frozen yogurt shop. I've been debating whether or not to get fro yo for myself when I go. I think it's probably wisest to abstain. Sigh...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I drove up to VA to visit my mom and got back last night. We had a great time!
It was too short though. I had to be back to teach tonight at the college.

I ate way too much but was happy to see I really hadn't gained but a pound. But I did run two mornings, and we biked 35 miles -- down by the Potomac River -- Alexandria - to DC and then to Mt Vernon and back. When we were about a mile from Mt Vernon (George Washington's house), my DH stopped and said "now he lived up on a hill so the last half mile is uphill". OMG it sure was!!! But I did it! Yes, in case you are wondering, we did drive all the way from FL to VA with bikes on the back of my Prius, lol. It was all DHs idea. I didn't want to but I have to admit it was really fun. As we were driving through NC it was snowing! I just looked over but didn't say a word.

Allison & Michele -- yes we never stop worrying, do we? I teach a lot of HS seniors and I always tell them this advice before school ends. "If your mom or dad texts you, answer them as soon as possible, or you may get a visit from campus police".
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote