Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #31  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, how I love my hot pink Chucks! And how you can just throw them into the wash!

Saturday and Sunday:

No gym -- walking around outside at an enormous outdoor antique show in Madison County, NY. This was the tail end of Bouckville Antique Week. I believe I walked for about five hours the first day, and maybe four hours the second day. I probably could've made it to the gym, and felt guilty for not doing so, but also wanted to see if this would help my aching hip.

Monday, 18 August:

Back to spin class, 45 minutes with the Upstate instructor, my send-off to my week-long sojourn in the village where I grew up.

Now to sit in a car for about five hours. Not sure if that is good or bad for my hip.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, I haven't mentioned this but think it is time. My ds has invited me to come live with him and his family because of my health. It is a hard decision but I think I will do it. Now here is the part that you might find interesting. Ds is an avid exerciser and he says he is going to put me on an exercise program so can build up my strength Not sure about that because one of my problems is falling but I will think about it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
saef, I haven't mentioned this but think it is time. My ds has invited me to come live with him and his family because of my health. It is a hard decision but I think I will do it. Now here is the part that you might find interesting. Ds is an avid exerciser and he says he is going to put me on an exercise program so can build up my strength Not sure about that because one of my problems is falling but I will think about it.
does your son live near you? I'll be curious what kind of exercise he will want you to try. I know you've wanted a dog. Does your son have any pets?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
does your son live near you? I'll be curious what kind of exercise he will want you to try. I know you've wanted a dog. Does your son have any pets?
This is the ds who has invited me to move in with his family.
With me that will only be four but I like to be independent. No pets now, just a few months ago he had to put his dog down and is talking about getting another.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #35  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

saef ~ How's your hip after the car ride?

Bargoo ~ Tough choice... How far away is this son?

Mon, August 18 ~ 3.1 mile night run. Felt amazing! Waited until about 10:30 and was a great way to blow off some stress... Hoping to get in another one tonight.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #36  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Bargoo, all of your news is interesting to me -- not just your potentially starting an exercise program. Is your son a personal trainer or physical therapist? Or was he planning to set you up with someone who could assess where you are and what could help you, including with your balance and falling?

I think it's a good idea: Something to start and see where it takes you, something to progress at.

How I wish my mother would walk around the neighborhood like some of her neighbors do, or even do a form of chair yoga, or something. She says that physical movement helps her shoulder and sciatica, so I wish she would do this for her health.

Riding in the car was fine for my hip. What aggravated it today was doing squats and single-leg deadlifts. I've taken some Advil and it's calming down a bit now.

Tuesday, August 19th:

NROLW Stage 5, my last round of workout A. Woman at the gym told me that in these last few months, my body has changed. "Not that you're thinner, you're ... more compact. I can see it in your core in particular."

Last edited by saef; 08-19-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #37  

saef, no he is not a professional but could be and has considered I,t he is a gym member and has been for years.
PS I don't just fall when I exercise. I fall walking across a level surface, I have had to be picked up by the EMTS several times.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #38  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Bargoo - I read all those Strong Women books a few years ago. Can't remember the author and am on phone. Someone will know. Strong Women Stay Young was very very good for women who are very wobbly or weak. It is very thoughtful and careful. I recommend it highly.

You'll be getting the Hot Pink Chucks and joining saef's team, obviously?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Bargoo - I read all those Strong Women books a few years ago. Can't remember the author and am on phone. Someone will know. Strong Women Stay Young was very very good for women who are very wobbly or weak. It is very thoughtful and careful. I recommend it highly.

You'll be getting the Hot Pink Chucks and joining saef's team, obviously?
Don't want to bring saef down, I will look for the book. Yes, I am wobbly and weak, the kitchen is a terrifying place for me.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Don't want to bring saef down, I will look for the book. Yes, I am wobbly and weak, the kitchen is a terrifying place for me.
Sorry to hear that bargoo. It must be such a hard thing giving up part of your independence. Would one of those shopping basket/seat things (I think a brand name is rollator) be feasible?

And you gotta get the Chucks!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hot+p...2F%3B236%3B177

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #41  

lol - Team Hot Pink Chucks for the win!

Tuesday, August 19 - 3.1 mile run. Left at 9:50, got back around 10:36. Slower than mud, but it felt amazing.

Hoping to get in another late night session tonight.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #42  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I was actually looking at pink chucks on amazon earlier. They don't seem to be available in my size.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #43  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday, August 20th:

45 minute spin class, with the tough instructor sitting in for the gym's manager during this popular vacation week. I had some twinges in my hip today but held up pretty well. I don't feel well though, as I've had a raging sore throat for two days straight.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #44  

Wardhog ~ Is your size too big or too small? I had a problem when I lived abroad, as a 9.5-10 US is considered a "men's size" over there. For the most part, the only shoes I could find looked like they belonged on a construction site.

saef ~ yuck about the sore throat... Is it allergies or do you think you're getting sick?

~~~~
Wed, Aug 20 - Rest day. Did about 5 minutes of Pilates mat work to keep myself moving, but took a hiatus from the road running.

Thu, Aug 21 - Pilates mat. Also hoping to get in a run tonight, too.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #45  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I wear a 7 1/2; the only "fun" color I could find is purple. I admit I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Am I supposed to be talking about exercise here? Spin class this morning and about to head out to walk the dog. It is miserably hot and humid, however ...
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote