3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers on a Losing Streak in the Summertime (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/296339-maintainers-losing-streak-summertime.html)

Mudpie 08-01-2014 05:18 AM

I am down 1.2 lbs. since Monday :yay:. I'm pretty sure it's "real" weight, rather than dehydration because I've forced myself to drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.

And it's new cat day, Friday, and the start of a long weekend too. :dance:

Dagmar :cheer2:

JayZeeJay 08-01-2014 11:54 AM

I used to eat everything out of a single bowl - I think this went on for nearly two years. It wasn't a weight-control attempt (this was back in my delusional years where I was SURE that I looked much lighter than I was, and I was at least 40 lbs heavier than I am now). I just loved that bowl. My roommates laughed about it - they named it, we put it in a special place in kitchen and joked about taking it for a walk, introducing it to good-looking single plates, etc.

ETA: New cat day Mudpie?? As in, you're getting a new kitty?

CalCounter1003 08-01-2014 12:56 PM

Dagmar - can't wait to hear about the new cat! We got a rescue dog two days after our Golden Retriever was put down from cancer. It did help a lot, but we still talk about and miss the Golden, 2 years later - in fact it was 2 years ago on August 2nd.

Went to a personal trainer this morning! I've never been to one, nor exercised much. I'm following the Year Younger Next Year for Women book and he says you should do strength training/lifting 2-3 times a week and you should use a trainer to start out. I can't afford to do it for very long but I did sign up for 12 sessions while will just be 6 weeks. I was so scared it was going to be really painful, but it wasn't bad. The guy probably made it easy so I would sign up. I start officially on Tuesday/Thursdays next week. Still going to do my walk/jog or Leslie Sansone DVDs in addition to this. DH is buying me a bike. He loves biking and I have never wanted to do it because he feels like you have to pass everyone and go really fast, not fun for me. Before his car accident he was biking 30-40 miles, but just 1-2 times a week. We rented bikes in Monterey and I loved it. I led the way so that he wouldn't go too fast. So we'll start doing that on the weekends I think. Hopefully is back will stay okay!

Mudpie 08-01-2014 03:21 PM

Unfortunately two of the cats we were going to look at have been adopted. But these is still a third in the west end which was my first pick anyway. If she is gone too we will wait until a suitable one comes available. this would have been the perfect time for me as I have 3 days to get to know her and 6 weeks without any dog sitting or weekend work so I can spend a lot of time with her.

But it will happen. SOON!

Dagmar :)

traveling michele 08-01-2014 05:09 PM

Crossing my fingers for you Dagmar!

Sounds great Sharon!
My BIL and SIL here in London use trainers and I'm sure I would benefit but I never want to spend the money.... Maybe someday.

Squeezed into my dress for my anniversary today. Had a lovely time. Weight is most definitely up but I'm going to enjoy my time left and worry about it upon my return.

neurodoc 08-01-2014 05:39 PM

Wow, I had a totally different mental image of "one bowl" eating than you, Saef. You obviously know yourself best, but the idea I was going after was a very "zen," very wholistic approach, the opposite of obsessive or kitschy : http://yogawithshawnee.com/2013/03/0...e-bowl-method/
I agree that it would be problematic if you were going out to eat, but I'm sure every eating plan has challenges and needs work-arounds for specific occasions.

CalCounter, I hope you enjoy biking. I love to bike in the spring/fall when weather permits.

saef 08-01-2014 07:40 PM

Andrea, yes, I totally understand the intention now, but I must say, the link does nothing to dispel my idea that it's kitschy: I know I am not gonna follow Shawnee's one-bowl eating odyssey on Instagram.

I will figure it out, little by little. One thing I noticed is my weight rose more during July, when I worked every weekend. Maybe I can get some more balance in my life during August, and the weight will reflect that.

silverbirch 08-04-2014 03:32 AM

I'm pleased to tell you that I have lost 3.25lbs in the past six weeks. This is really very good and I'm delighted. I'm trying to focus on the actual weight gone rather than the rate of loss - we all know that varies according to so many different factors.

I've got three habits installed fairly well now.

H1. I weigh myself daily. I've moved the scales to a place in the bathroom where I notice them more. Yes, they're in the way and get wet and so on but I pick them up in the morning, move them to the flattest part of the floor and use them. I've done this every day for the past six weeks, bar one. That morning was a little hazy, I think.

H2. I've stopped eating supper with the DB from time to time. I haven't done that for a week or so, bar one night. That was when the SO made some kind of chile con carne (with borlotti beans) which I just didn't like at all and couldn't eat without feeling ill. So I was too hungry later on. That was a permissible exception.

H3. I have a 'buffer zone' between doing very different things instead of thinking I can just plough (= plow) on. That follows our discussion last week. So I tidy up what I'm doing completely, then go to the loo, wash my hands, comb my hair and then read part of my storybook for five minutes or so. After that, my mind is clear and I'm ready for the next thing.

This week, I'm going to work on getting exercise back into place. It's slipped whilst I've been working on this evaluation contract (which I hope to get to the first draft this week). The DB and I went round my circuit once yesterday and he was shocked at how unfit I am (mostly breathing but also feeling secure in my footing). So I'm hoping to rope him in. Today is a weights day at home.

Have a good week, everyone.

traveling michele 08-04-2014 04:01 AM

Great job Silverbirch and terrific observations!

We leave London tomorrow. I know I'll be returning to pure losing mode upon my return. There's a scale in the hotel and if it's right I'm up about 5 pounds. I'm just hoping it's not more...

Today we are doing a Harry Potter walking tour and going to high tea. We've been busy every day but I'm definitely eating more than usual.

I've exercised most days but will miss today and tomorrow except for walking. I've been getting my steps in each day. Some days over 20,000 and all days over 10,000.

silverbirch 08-04-2014 05:04 AM

Thanks, Michele. Your day sounds great. The walking will definitely be playing its part. It's something different for you, isn't it, so your body will have been challenged.

Reading Michele's post, I've cracked one of the problems about 'tea' (which we talked about briefly last week). For those interested, this is how I see it.

Afternoon tea - pot of tea, scones (butter/cream/jam), possibly little sandwiches, cake. Refined. Knife required. Also cake fork. There should be a tea strainer, in my opinion. I think this is what Michele will have.

High tea - this + perhaps cheese to go with tea bread or fruit cake + something much more serious (and hot). Not used much in the UK any more, I think. I associate it with the NE of England for some reason.

Tea - just the something much more serious (and usually hot). Knife and normal fork required. Early evening meal. That's what I mean when I say 'tea'.

Ha.

Also 'tea' as in cup of tea.

Thanks for your patience. :)

BillBlueEyes 08-04-2014 05:04 AM

LOL at silverbirch moving the scale to the most level spot on the floor.

Our house is about 150 years old and I have selected an exact spot for my daily weighing. I gain up to four pounds by slight movements of the scale.

silverbirch 08-04-2014 05:15 AM

Our houses are in the same age-group, Bill. An example to us all. There's always something to learn. My latest subject is the fortic tank ...

Mudpie 08-04-2014 05:27 AM

I have a "young" house in comparison to yours Bill and Birchie - it's built probably in the 1960's - but the floors are a bit of a roller coaster :eek: in spots. The bathroom floor was ripped up and totally redone so it's fairly level. I still weigh in the same spot - moving the scale can result in a gain of up to 2 lbs. or a loss of 4! Much as I like the latter I know it's not real. :lol:

I have lost another lb. or so. I think most of this is due to eating a bowl (1 1/2 c.) of fresh cherries in the evening, rather than all the other stuff I was having. I'm hoping there are some nice peaches soon. I will eat one each evening, sliced up and with a dollop of greek yogurt, when cherry season is done.

Dagmar :D

alinnell 08-04-2014 08:52 AM

I'm starting my new weight loss journey today. Well, I did kind of start yesterday by logging all my food. But today I begin with regular exercise. I think DH is doing so, too (without my prodding). He got up and did his workout this morning. I'm opting for afternoons for a while, although I could have gotten up at 4 am today as the orange cat pounced on me at 4 am. I just didn't have the gumption to get out of bed.

WTG silver for the loss!!!

ICUwishing 08-04-2014 09:14 AM

Back from a week of deep woods camping; net gain = 0 (thank goodness). Yes, I did get on the scale the very first morning back! DH lost 4#, probably proving the overall calorie theory, since the nutritional content of most of what we ate was, uh, "suspect".

Much catching up to do - glad to be back with y'all!