Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #76  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

Weirdly enough, I run better when I run faster -- but I tire out sooner.
I'll say it again: Running is hard. Why is it so hard for me?
How tense are you when you run? It seems to me that good runners are quite relaxed. Have you tried the 'holding a delicate flower carefully in each hand' idea to make sure that your fists are unclenched and hands relaxed? That will radiate through your body. And also making sure that your arms aren't pumping diagonally across your body, thereby setting up exhausting and damaging torque?

The other thing is ... maybe you're a sprinter (Saef Bolt) rather than a medium or long-distance runner. I think this depends on physique.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #77  
maintaining since 9/2013

Thanks Michele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Thanks! I'm also trying to get back into running, and my problem is also arthritic; it's my big toe joints. Or maybe my problem is treadmill running, since I like running out of doors better than on the machine.
Have you tried different shoes, maybe even orthotics? Music with just the right beat? Maybe you could start with a really short duration and gradually build? You've inspired me to take a second look at making it work--nothing feels so good!

I'm enjoying delightfully sore abs from my pilates initiation the other day. I did some Costco impulse buying: exercise kits and DVD for Core, Yoga, Pilates, 30 min Step, 10 min workout. No more worry about fitting to gym schedule. It feels so good to use muscles, and especially when there isn't the burden of extra weight. Thanks all for the inspiration. Those who are getting to your exercise venues in harsh weather--you all are amazing!

Last edited by mars735; 01-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #78  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Jan 17: heavy lifting at gym. 15 min warmup on arc trainer, DB side lunges, barbell deadlift (up to 105 lbs), KB sumo squats, DB bench press, barbell face pulls, bench dips, cooldown 5 min running.

Jan 18: hiked a little over 3 miles through woods in the snow. very nice!

Jan 19: rest day

Jan 20: ran 2.5 miles on treadmill, DB shoulder press, lat pulldowns, dips, chinups, planks. Added weight to every lift.

I don't know if this is the place to announce this but I am doing a slow bulk. It's horrifying to see the scale go up but excellent to fill in the seat of my underpants...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jen-- two questions for you. On the kettlebells-- how heavy is yours? Do you do a routine or anything? I bought a 10 pound one but it's seeming pretty light. I also bought a 15 pounder and it seems quite heavy!

I may have asked you this before but on the foam rolling-- do you do a routine? I've been doing it fairly routinely but I'm usually done in 5-10 minutes. Am I not spending enough time on each area? I'm wondering how you do it for so long and do you do it before or after working out? Again, I'm sorry if I've asked before but I have a lousy memory and I'm quite sore at the moment so would love to maximize my benefits.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Always happy to answer any questions!

I have only one kettlebell that DH bought me - it's 20 pounds. I had read somewhere about how physically fit you are should determine where you start with kettlebells and sent that to him. I think it recommended 18 pounds for me. I use it primarily for kettlebell swings and I don't have a routine. I also use it for goblet squats. My squat form SUCKS and that helps me get into a better form. I would like to try the "Turkish get-ups" - they are supposed to be AWESOME for you, but the 20 pounder is too heavy - your 10 pounder might work great for that!!

As far as the foam rolling goes, I don't have a routine, per se. I always do it at night while watching tv. I had a terrible bout last year with both of my IT Bands, so I spend a lot of time on those. To start with I lay on my back and roll my achilles and then move up to to my calves and then hamstrings. If they feel "smooth" I just roll them for a short time and then move on. BUT if I feel a knot or a place where it kind of hurts - I just LAY on the foam roller until that diminishes or disappears.

I do both IT Bands and my quads and then I do my inner thighs and hips. I almost never have any quad pain or knots, but say I'm rolling my left IT band - there are almost always knots, so I might lay right on that knot for a couple of minutes and then roll some more and then lay on it some more.

Does this make sense at all? It sounds weird describing it. I also have to work different areas depending on what I did that day. For example on Sunday I ran 13 miles and it was on the treadmill so I REALLY had to roll out my legs. But on days that I mostly lift, I might do my lats and shoulders and not spend a lot of time on my legs.

Also I use a lacrosse ball and roll the bottom of my feet and my IT bands - you can really dig in with a lacrosse ball!

Hope this helps!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #81  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've done Turkish get-ups a bit in the past. They're quite challenging!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #82  

I'll have to look up the Turkish get-ups. Sounds intriguing!

I've heard you talk about IT bands but I don't know what or where they are? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It makes sense that you lay there. I'll try that. My hamstrings are my big issue and I haven't seen improvement but maybe I need to do it longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #83  

Michele - lay with both hamstrings on the roller and support all your weight in your hands - no butt on the ground - and roll back and forth - if they are really tight just stop and let your body weight rest into the roller - frankly, it should be really uncomfortable,

Your IT Band (Iliotibial Band) runs from your outer hip down to your outer knee. IT Band syndrome is a common runner's injury. It is the worse pain I have ever felt - The band rubs back and forth across the knee when you run - it was horrible. I have not (knock on wood) had any issues this year, partly due to the foam rolling and IT band stretching I do, I think, as well as running with the treadmill on an incline (running downhill makes things worse).

January 21: Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength DVD (66 mins)
7 miles running treadmill - incline 2% (1:01:50)
30 minutes foam rolling of course
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #84  
Staying the Same

Jan 21:
-20 min on arc trainer, 20 min on stair stepper, 100 45# plate glute bridges

Jan 22:
-DB bench press, lat pulldown, barbell face pulls, leg press.

Got some MAJOR hip tightness going on. :\
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Jan. 19: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Jan. 20: 100 minutes bikram yoga and later went to the gym and did 65 minutes of bod pump! Gonna be sore tomorrow!

Totals:
22 workouts
2230 minutes
Jan. 21: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Lots of foam rolling-- still sore but I think it may have helped some-- will do more tonight-- thanks again Jen for the walk through!

Totals:
23 workouts
2330 minutes
Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #86  

I hope that the foam roller ultimately helps you as much as it has me, Michele!

January 21: Cathe Friedrich Crossfire DVD (55 mins)
50 minutes weight lifting (back and legs)
30 minutes foam rolling
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #87  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Wednesday, Jan. 22:

45 minute spin class, going hard, an unusually good class, and I'm still trying to figure out why. Are my legs getting stronger? Was it because I slept in an hour later due to the snowstorm, and postponed my workout from early morning to the evening?

Thursday, Jan. 23:

20 minutes treadmill, incline 1.5, at 5 mph, which was oddly more doable than slower pace, then 2 minutes walking 3.5, 10 minutes at 5.3, 2 minutes walking, 2 minutes at 5.6, 1 minute walk, and done
Afterward, some deadlifts on the Olympic bar loaded with two 25-pound plates.
60 minute Pilates mat class

Last edited by saef; 01-24-2014 at 05:12 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #88  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I don't know if this is the place to announce this but I am doing a slow bulk. It's horrifying to see the scale go up but excellent to fill in the seat of my underpants...
Krampus, you know others commented a couple months ago that your backside was looking pretty good. Are you trying to turn it into a weapon of mass destruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735
Have you tried different shoes, maybe even orthotics? Music with just the right beat? Maybe you could start with a really short duration and gradually build? You've inspired me to take a second look at making it work--nothing feels so good!
Mars, yep, been wearing orthotics for close to nine years now, had on specially prescribed sneakers based on the wear pattern on my old one and my weird gait. I think part of the running thing is mental, that I beat myself up because I think with all the cardio & other exercise I do, it ought to be effortless, like an animal running, and I haven't convinced myself that running is a totally different thing. I've been like: "I don't need to do anything like Couch to 5K, I've run 5Ks, I'm an athlete by now, for God's sake." I need to have a little humility and do exactly what you said, short durations and building.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #89  
Staying the Same

saef, think that but take away the "M."

Thurs Jan 23 AM: 2.00 miles on treadmill in 17:35

Last edited by krampus; 01-23-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #90  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Jan. 21: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Lots of foam rolling-- still sore but I think it may have helped some-- will do more tonight-- thanks again Jen for the walk through!

Totals:
23 workouts
2330 minutes
Jan. 22: 100 minutes of bikram yoga .... more foam rolling

Totals:
24 workouts
2440 minutes