Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- yes, you both deserve a night off here and there. You are working so hard that it is difficult not to overeat from exhaustion, stress, loneliness, etc.

Allison-- how do you feel about ds going away? I'm sure he's ready??

My younger dd is showing some signs of homesickness but nowhere near as bad as last year!

Older dd has a true PHOBIA of frogs. If that is the case, you shouldn't move to Texas where they have giant TOADS! She called me last night hysterical because there was a giant toad on her welcome mat and she couldn't go outside to take Owen for his "last out". I literally talked to her for over 30 minutes to encourage/push her to get out with Owen. Once out though, she couldn't get back in. She was hysterical. I kept telling her that her neighbors were going to call the police-- it was 10:45 pm! She finally threw a mat over him and managed to get inside. It was almost funny but I really felt sorry for her as it is a true phobia (stemming from her putting her foot into her horseriding boot as a child and there was a giant toad inside!). We're hoping he finds a new home soon....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #62  
Workin' It

I've been working on eating less carb and pushing more protein. I haven't had bread in 3.5 weeks, and haven't had rice in over a week. We've been making a lot of veggie stir fry with some kind of meat, chicken and veggie skewers, things like that. I think I feel better.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Michele~I'm ok with DS leaving, I guess. It'll be different, that's for sure. I got home extra late yesterday and as I drove home I was going through my list of things I needed to do as soon as I got home (feeding the animals was #1) and when we opened the garage door, there was DS--feeding the dogs (so I knew he'd also fed the cats). He's quite reliable and I'll miss that a lot!

I asked him last night what he wants for his "last supper" before he leaves. He said mac and cheese and I automatically thought Kraft but then he said, no, MY mac and cheese (which is a recipe my Mom used to make when I was young--a family favorite). That made me feel good (but it won't be diet friendly).

We're having another pasta dinner either tonight or tomorrow. I really need to cut those out.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #64  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've been working on eating less carb and pushing more protein. I haven't had bread in 3.5 weeks, and haven't had rice in over a week. We've been making a lot of veggie stir fry with some kind of meat, chicken and veggie skewers, things like that. I think I feel better.
"Think you feel better"? D'you mean in yourself? Better mood? Less tired? And has there been any weight or clothes change? ...end of interrogation.

The SO is home and making the tea. That means I'm not going to eat anything off piste before the meal. Phew. Feeling very, very full after lots of fibre in last few days.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #65  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar, I'm doing fine so far; I'm sure I'll hit the wall soon, because I always start to crave carbs excessively (which leads to binging) when I restrict too much, but I feel like nothing I've done in the last 6+ months has caused my weight to budge downward by more than 2-3 pounds (which then came right back up again with the first binge), and I'm really disgusted that I can't get under red line.

Michelle, if by before-dinner meals you mean what do I eat for breakfast and lunch, the answer is - a piece of fruit for breakfast, and a big pile of veggies for lunch, with (so far) 3 oz. of water-packed tuna. I also had an apple for a pre-gym snack at 4 today. Tomorrow, I will have 1/2 c. 2% cottage cheese as my protein for breakfast, and veggies and a piece of fruit for lunch. The goal is <200 cal. and < 30 (pref. <25) g. carbs until dinner.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My body apparently no longer tolerates peanut butter. Smart body . I even got the organic "just peanuts" kind but no, the oil floating on top put me off and then, after eating one piece of toast with PB as my evening snack, I started feeling sick to my stomach about 20 minutes later. I still feel queasy this morning.

Out it went - no biggie as it was on sale, which is why I tried it in the first place. I will buy 4 jars to contribute to the Thanksgiving food bank drive but probably the regular kind (with the icing sugar).

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #67  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
My body apparently no longer tolerates peanut butter. Smart body .
Interesting - why do you think this is?

Andrea: do you think your new plan fits the way you would "naturally" eat? I ask because if I had my way, I would do most of my eating before 4 pm. But it doesn't fit either my frantic work schedule or my fiancé's love of a big dinner. I am wondering if I could try your plan and convince my body that it can wait to eat until later.

I am eating too much lately, straight up. Some vicious PMS cravings for carbs have been taking me down, and work stress (experiments gone wrong, a valuable employee giving her two weeks, book chapters to write, a new course to start up...) is NOT helping. But these are excuses, not reasons.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jay-- what type of work do you do? Work stress is the worst. So, is being tired. I am sooooo tired..... and I have a headache.... I suspect from being tired......

I feel like I came here to say something else but my tired brain is not cooperating.... oy....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #69  

I slept well last night and am perplexed as to why I was starving when I woke up. Normally I can make it to work and get an hour or so of work done before the hunger begins. Today, not so much and Dagmar's discussion of peanut butter prompted me to make an open faced PB&J for my breakfast. Thankfully that was enough...until now. I guess I'll eat a plum. Usually I don't get hungry after dinner and especially after having pasta which is what we had last night (loaded with tons of vegetables and some spicy Italian sausage). So I really don't understand my hunger this morning.

And I didn't get my workout yesterday--too much stress and a long phone call when I got home which disrupted the whole evening.

And then DS showed me how much he had packed up for Sunday's move. And it made me too sad to think about a workout. Not tonight either as we have a function at DD's old school.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #70  
Workin' It

Allison - I get more hungry after pasta than other meals. The carbs burn up fast and I wake up starving. I hope the move goes well with DS this weekend.

JayZee - work stress does it to me, every time. Something goes wrong and I reach for a snack. Something goes right and I reach for a snack. I think something is going to go wrong but it might not and I reach for a snack.

Dagmar - is it the peanut butter or the bread? I find that I can't tolerate bread as easily lately.

Birchie - I say I think I feel better, because I'm not completely sure. Some days I feel less bloated, some days I don't. Some days I have energy, some days I don't. My weight hasn't dropped a whit in three weeks, but it isn't going up. My pants fit better two weeks ago, then last week were too tight again. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'm tired today. And tense. And stressed. And things are piling up and making me crazy. And I'm about to drink Raw Meal organic meal reaplacement sludge for lunch. LOL DH has been drinking it for lunches at work for a couple of weeks and says he feels great. As he has lost close to 30 pounds this year I figure I'll give it a try. Drank it yesterday - it was almost tolerable.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #71  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Jay-- what type of work do you do? Work stress is the worst. So, is being tired.
Being tired compounds the stress for me - my tired brain is less able to keep up and that in turn makes me panic more. I'm a faculty member so I run my own research "lab" (all 2 of us). I am head of a diagnostic service also so I spend lots of time in that lab. I write lectures and teach classes and labs, I write papers and book chapters and apply for grants constantly and do administrative committee service...sadly, a lot of this is done at night and on weekends. I have to remind myself often that I took this job willingly, no one held a gun to my head.

Shannon in ATL: I googled the Raw Meal organic meal replacement and found it on Amazon. The reviews had me laughing out loud. You're not the only one to call it sludge! Most reviews said something like "OK, this tastes terrible. I mean REALLY terrible. But you can choke it down in less than a minute. Or maybe add something like sugar or fruit juice or make it a smoothie to get it to go down. But once you do, you'll feel great!"
It was hardly compelling to buy the stuff. Is it really that disgusting? I'm actually curious enough now that I want to try it, just to experience the gritty awfulness.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #72  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

JayZee- wow, I didn't realize you were also an academic. Your life is nearly exactly like mine except as a clinician faculty member, I have less time for research and teaching, and more time for clinical care. In fact, just today I had the miserable experience of being told by my chair that it was no longer acceptable for me to do 2 full days of clinic per week, I need to increase my revenue generation and therefore need to go to 2 1/2 days per week. I too need to remind myself often that I chose this life voluntarily.
To answer your other question, the entire reason I've moved almost all of my calories to the evening is because I couldn't stop overeating at night. I finally decided to give in to what my brain apparently craves, and deliberately plan for the overeating by not eating the rest of the day. I am hoping that the physical capacity of my stomach will prevent me from eating more than ~1000 calories between 6 and bedtime (I eat at least 2 cups of veggies as part of dinner, to assist with prevention of overeating more calorie-dense foods). So far so good.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #73  

My niece is an advocate of the raw diet and does the veggie smoothies for breakfast and dinner. I do believe she eats cooked stuff for dinner, but I'm not sure. I could NEVER go full time raw. It sounds disgusting and I like some of my stuff hot and cooked and I like meat. She's rather vegan, too.

I've thought about "juicing" but friends who have done so said they weren't satisfied and a lot of the recipes were gross. And some juicing machines take out all the good stuff (fiber) and leave nothing but calories so I don't know. I suppose if you do use the whole vegetable or fruit (in a blender rather than a juicer) it'd be better for you but terribly thick to drink unless you added a lot of water.

But I certainly would never say no to a huge plate of steamed vegetables for lunch every day. Yum! DH would (predictably) say he was bored with it after a day or two. He relishes variety thus us having Smart Ones prepared lunches Monday thru Friday.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #74  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I lost more than two pounds this week, despite taking a day off from exercising from being sick. I think it's the illness that resulted in my literally flushing the pounds away. I don't see this as a sustainable loss, though. It's too much like the infamous character in "The Devil Wears Prada" who's just a stomach bug away from her goal weight.

Feeling sluggish this morning & trying to send myself to the gym to lift weights, which I like better than cardio. There's so much work to do today at work, mostly writing, that I'm worrying I'll pay for being away from my desk rather than starting off at 7 AM to help clear it for the weekend.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

It sounds like I'm not the only one struggling with trying to balance all the work demands of life (including those at home) and having a bit of time "off". I think that's why I've taken a couple of months "off maintenance" - it all became too overwhelming and something had to go.

I'm not able to keep all the balls in the air any more. Some of them had to go. I'm looking forward to having time to cook and plan and eat good food again. I feel so much better when I have time for that.

Another month and a bit (don't even know what the date is exactly today)and I'm there.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote