Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea.... I'm actually going to Arizona today to move younger dd back to college for her sophomore year. Dh and dd have already left with a very full car and I fly tonight.

We just finished moving older dd to Texas. She just finished her masters and got a job teaching special education. So we assume she is there for good.

I'll be very stressed today until dh and dd arrive safely. I'm an anxious driver which is only one of the reasons I'm flying instead of driving. I wouldn't have fit in the car with all of her stuff and this way I can take extra stuff in suitcases.

I hope I do well weight wise. I will try to be vigilant.

I'm going to bikram in a bit to decompress. I'm also going to target to get two things but I can't remember one of them. How frustrating! Guess I will wander around and hope I remember.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~Mudpie has a thyroid problem, right? I just found out my cat Louie has hyperthyroidism. I have to call the vet for additional information as I missed her call last night. She doesn't think it is bad enough for medication (yet) but he has been losing weight. Any input?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #18  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I am back from over a week's vacation. First was Chattanooga and Atlanta, then 4 nights tent camping in North Truro on Cape Cod. I didn't grossly overeat and this morning was at 120.6, a pound lighter than my last weigh-in which was August 2.

It was nice to sleep in a bed and take a shower that does not require quarters, but obviously I will miss spending my days reading Star Trek novels on the beach, eating deli meat sandwiches and watching seals, terns and sandpipers from beneath the comfort of a cheap beach umbrella. Real life pales in comparison to vacation! I have missed the weight room though, and look forward to getting back into exercise.

I have read everyone's updates, and am particularly glad to hear JayZeeJay's pup is doing better and to hear from bargoo.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #19  
Workin' It

Welcome back from vacation, Krampus!

I've ended up signed up for childcare during open house at DSS's school three nights this week. Last night, tonight and tomorrow. I got my exercise in on lunch yesterday, won't make it today. Might get it in the morning or on lunch tomorrow if I'm lucky. They desperately needed volunteers, so I signed up at the last minute. I have to tell you, I had to force myself to sign up knowing the risk to my exercise schedule. I can't let my patterns keep me from doing the things I need to do.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Dagmar~Mudpie has a thyroid problem, right? I just found out my cat Louie has hyperthyroidism. I have to call the vet for additional information as I missed her call last night. She doesn't think it is bad enough for medication (yet) but he has been losing weight. Any input?
sent you a PM Allison

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I did send an update on other thread so will add a little to the weekly chat.
Nothing much has changed, I will need to go wig shopping, not looking forward to that as I have no experience with wigs. Continue to be very fatigued, I spend a lot of time on my couch watching HSN and QVC , I have 'hidden my credit cards away so I won't buy something I don't want, can't use and won't like Food is a problem as side effects make food taste a lot like straw, getting in enough calories when food is so unpalatable is a problem and I have lost weight and don't want to.
I reached goal a few years ago and now find myself wanting to reach goal again although the situation is different.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #22  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bargoo, it's good to hear from you.

Is there any local org to help women with selecting a wig, or maybe someone has set up an informational site online? Because a lot of people have to deal with that, who've had little or no experience with wigs.

(What you need is a drag queen friend, like RuPaul.)

If I were in your area, I'd go with you, --or at the least, hang out with you on your couch. We wouldn't talk, we'd just watch TV together. I'm not an HSN & QVC watcher but I am an eBay addict who always checks eBay before buying something elsewhere -- if eBay were a basic cable channel, I'd be in trouble.

On the food, maybe forget about taste and go for texture, like ice cream and milkshakes. The blender could come in handy.

I'm glad when you check in.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #23  

saef, I understand ACS will provide wigs free of charge for cancer patients I will check them out.
I'm not a fan of HSN or QVC either , only now with time on my hands.
I would enjoy your company on my couch.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Bargoo...what about Netflix or On Demand? You can stream a TV series or something. Gotta be something better than HSN. :-) take care!
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

bargoo Glad to hear from you. If I'm not being too intrusive you might want to check this site out

http://www.wigsforcancerpatients.org/

I think jayell mentioned liquid nutritional supplements? Those would be very easy for you - no prep necessary - although I have no idea what they taste like.

I can only imagine how hard this is for you. But you are a very strong person. We are all thinking of you and sending a lot of these

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
bargoo Glad to hear from you. If I'm not being too intrusive you might want to check this site out

http://www.wigsforcancerpatients.org/

I think jayell mentioned liquid nutritional supplements? Those would be very easy for you - no prep necessary - although I have no idea what they taste like.

I can only imagine how hard this is for you. But you are a very strong person. We are all thinking of you and sending a lot of these

Dagmar
Dagmar, you are not being intrusive at ali, I appreciate all tips and check them out. Jayell did send me some good information and I am trying to follow her advice.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #27  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

bargoo, thank you for taking the time to check in. You're in my thoughts every day. I hope the vision issues improved.

krampus, your vacation sounds divine! At least that gives you a great "happy place" to come back to when the real world gets oppressive.

shannon, volunteering seems like an acceptable reason to postpone your exercise. I always get more of a high off helping than I do off exercise, come to think of it.

michele, I hope that yoga clears your head. Worry sucks up a lot of potential happiness!

allison, bummer about Louie. What's up with all these furbabies having health issues? Seems like it's one after the other. How's Chico been doing?

I've been overwhelmed lately - haven't even been able to pull together enough time to figure out how to plan for getting unburied. The last three weeks, I've just been dealing with what's in front of me, and as the government has popularized, "kicking the can down the road" on dealing with everything else later. I HATE living in a reactive mode! I'm taking a day off work on Friday to try to siphon in a better opportunity to get my ducks in a row and prioritize.

On the lighter side, my mom is having a garage sale this weekend. I searched for several days to find things to add to the pile, and I think I can safely say that I really have stripped a lot of clutter out of my life. I truly cannot find anything left that is *mine* around the house that I do not "know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". I have some books that I finished reading, and that's pretty much it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Becky~Chico is doing fine, but I'll know more tomorrow after I take him in for his oncology check-up. No more chemo (for now) but they will probably do a chest x-ray to check for mets. I might ask about a brain scan. He's been doing a couple things "differently" since his amputation and I don't know if it is a tumor in the brain or him just reacting to being a tripawd.

bargoo~my secretary wears wigs. She is of Swedish descent and claims her hair is so sparse she has to wear wigs. While I cannot fathom wearing a wig in 110+ temperatures, it doesn't seem to bother her. She used to go to a local wig maker but says they are rather expensive. She buys fairly inexpensive ones off the internet instead. If you buy one with longer hair, your hairdresser should be able to cut and style it to your liking.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #29  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I've been overwhelmed lately - haven't even been able to pull together enough time to figure out how to plan for getting unburied. The last three weeks, I've just been dealing with what's in front of me, and as the government has popularized, "kicking the can down the road" on dealing with everything else later. I HATE living in a reactive mode! I'm taking a day off work on Friday to try to siphon in a better opportunity to get my ducks in a row and prioritize.
I can relate! At least with work, I am so busy I only have time to get ready for the next thing in front of me. I hate the feeling when I'm at an event and know I could have prepared better to contribute more, if only I'd had more time. It also continually frustrates me that I can't get any overtime/comp time. I've worked a lot of unpaid overtime this summer and I'm still behind. Is it fall yet? Can't wait.

I have noticed, finally, after almost 2 years of practicing yoga that the weeks I get to yoga I feel much better about how I'm dealing with my stress. The weeks I miss it, not so much. I do think it's making an impact. My teacher has left but another woman I like is taking over the class, so I'm hopeful I'll continue with her.

Jessica, I'm glad to hear the girls are getting so big and the transition back to work is going alright. They are such cuties! Love the pics you put on FB!

Bargoo, I'd join your couch party, too. I was home sick for 2 days a few weeks ago and had my TV almost permanently on HGTV. Apparently they play a lot of "Christian Mingle" commercials throughout the day because by the end of day 2 whenever the song came on ("I want to faaaaall in love with you") I would cringe. It drives me nuts when the same commercials are played over and over again. Maybe streaming a series would be more entertaining? Right now I'm catching up on Downton Abby, but also like Dexter and True Blood. I've heard Breaking Bad and Weeds are good too. Hang in there, I'm thinking of you.

Speaking of reactive, I've got to get back to work. I'm giving a presentation this afternoon and want to review it once more and set up. Hi to everyone I missed, and sorry I couldn't get more personals in. I miss chatting with you guys.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #30  
Workin' It

Good to hear from you, bargoo. Most of the liquid nutritional supplements taste powdery to me, but they are easier than making smoothies sometimes. Now is the time to go for anything that tastes appealing - my uncle eats a lot of ice cream these days, says it is strange after depriving himself of it for so long to have however much he wants. I would also join your couch party, but I'm fighting a cold and that wouldn't be good for you right now. Thinking of you.

Megan - glad to see you! I am just getting back into my yoga and haven't been able to do any this week with my schedule and my cold, I miss it.

Allison - sorry about Louie.

Becky - I get the overwhelmed feeling. I feel like I've been just getting from one thing to another for months, just beginning to come back up from under water and now school starts so more things pile on.

I'm pretty sure I officially have a cold. I feel terrible. I have a meeting with our postage meter guy today and then school childcare again tonight or I would have stayed home.

to those I missed.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote