Maintainers Weekly Chat May 13 - May 19

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Steph, they can't give me an exact date for when they'll come home, but it will probably be another month. They'll be the equivalent of 34 weeks gestation tomorrow, and they typically need to be in the nicu until 38-40 (i.e. until the equivalent of being full-term).

Saef, Carter will not get to meet them until they come home, but he has gotten to sniff some blankets we brought back from the hospital. He seemed politely interested, but more interested in sniffing Ben's pants that smelled like his parents' dog. Carter has been acting more stressed in general though -- he gets nervous and upset when we leave for the day. I think it is a combination of reacting to our stress level and the fact that there have been thunderstorms lately.
  • Jessica - Do the babies wear beanies on their heads? I don't have kids but from people "in the know" supposedly sniffing something the babies have worn on their heads is the best way for dogs to get to "know" them before they come home. Also they recommend playing tapes of babies crying. I hope that's helpful - I know you didn't ask for advice, so please feel free to ignore if it's not useful!

Shannon - I am really nervous about seeing the new Trek movie. I was not thrilled with the last one and altering the universe. Let me know your thoughts (without spoilers of course )

Jen
  • Steph - what kind of garden do you have? My vegetables are finally starting to really pop.

Saef - thanks for those words. I did feel great that day, if a tad self conscious at my short skirt. I felt like I looked good, and enjoyed the day. I shouldn't go back and second guess that happy. I do that too often.

Jen - saw it today and loved it. I am one that likes the reboot, though. I'm a big JJ Abrams fan, but and I enjoy his take on it. The classic trekkie in my questions the time frames, and wonders what about this one change caused some of the resultswe see, but overalll I like it. That being said - some parts of the plot seemed a little contrived. The beginning was awesome. The end was awesome. Some of the middle was a little slow and had some disjointed connections, but I still liked it. I love the actors, which helps. My mother is refusing to see it - she says there is no Kirk without Shatner. Dad said tonight that she might be more a fan of Shatner's fanny than Star Trek. LOL
  • Started my dogsit last night. My clients were still here - and packing! They had both spent whole days @ work and were now scrambling around @ 8 p.m. I hope they turn their blackberrys off and relax during at least part of the 15 days.

I was too busy chatting with them, stowing my stuff, and then taking the two very hyper dogs for a calming walk so that we all could sleep later. No time to peek in the fridge. No milk! Black coffee (actually not bad) and frozen bread for breakfast. I'll improvise something - nothing's open before 10 around here. But I'm gonna be HUNGRY on my first walk.

TGIF!!!

Dagmar
  • Gala 2103

A photo of me in my new dress. I love that dress! I was a little miffed when I couldn't find my Spanx (finally did!!).

Have a fun dog sit, Dagmar!
  • Beautiful !
  • Allison, you look great. What a fabulously simple, elegant, almost geometrically shaped dress. It has an old Hollywood feel, too.

I sound as nasal as a cartoon character, but feel reasonably good today. Seems that every night of sleep that I've had since Tuesday, I wake up feeling better afterward.

I have high hopes for the weekend if I get in another full eight hours tonight.
  • Love the dress Allison!!

Saef-- glad you're on the mend. I'm still "snotty" for lack of a better term, but I feel okay.

Busy weekend with a lot of challenges-- I'm trying not to get stressed. Dh is here until Sunday morning so that limits our time together. He is stressed and cranky at the prospect of going back to China after being home so little. Tonight we are going to a Hebrew baby naming ceremony. Afterwards, we've been invited by the family to go to an Italian restaurant. I'm not sure if I can fit the gym in first, but I'm hoping to as dinner will surely be a challenge. Tomorrow, we are going to an Oakland A's baseball game in the evening. Dh said he wanted to get sushi before the game which would be ideal for me, but none of the restaurants open until 5 so I'm not sure that will work. We got the tickets as a block with my school so my students/families will be there-- should be interesting. I'm thinking we just show up late to the game....
  • I'm looking at the menu for the dinner tonight and trying to find a healthier option. What is spiedini?
    Here's the menu:
    http://www.postinorestaurant.com/menus/dinner.html

I'm leaning towards the Pesce (with the prawn speidini-- I googled it and I think it means skewers?)
  • Michele, don't know about your entrée, but the salads sound divine, I would have a hard time choosing but would order dressing on the side.
  • Michele - I have no idea what spiendi is, but the entree sounds lovely.
  • I have another food question. I'm trying to change up my diet and try some different things. When I was younger I would never try oatmeal (ditto for applesauce, peanut butter-- perhaps a texture thing). When I stayed with dd, she made me a delicious oatmeal with berries, nuts and a little chocolate. I'm looking up recipes and they call for rolled oats. I'm assuming those are different from quick oats? Will they be next to the other oats in the grocery? What's the difference? Can I substitute?
  • Quick oats are rolled oats. I don't know if there is a difference or if the quick ones cook faster. I actually prefer the Irish (unrolled) oats as they are chewier. But I like rolled ones as well. I like them cooked and then add a little brown sugar and cinnamon and raisins. Chunks of apple with cinnamon is good, too. I do find that I have to have at least a little sweetener in them. You can also take uncooked rolled oats and put them in the blender to make flour, add cottage cheese and some egg white and turn that into a pancake.

Those shrimp skewer things look good!
  • Quote: I have another food question. I'm trying to change up my diet and try some different things. When I was younger I would never try oatmeal (ditto for applesauce, peanut butter-- perhaps a texture thing). When I stayed with dd, she made me a delicious oatmeal with berries, nuts and a little chocolate. I'm looking up recipes and they call for rolled oats. I'm assuming those are different from quick oats? Will they be next to the other oats in the grocery? What's the difference? Can I substitute?
    I went to my pantry and took out my familiar Quaker Oats in the big round box, on the back under nutrition facts it lists 100% Natural Whole Grain Quaker Quality Rolled Oats.
    ON the front of the box Quaker Oats Old Fashioned
  • Spiedini means skewers. Spiedini di carne, for example = meat kebabs.

One skewer is spiedino.

Thanks, Michele! I love using my huge Oxford Paravia dictionary (English - Italian).