3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat Apr 29 - May 5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/280562-maintainers-weekly-chat-apr-29-may-5-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 04-29-2013 05:10 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat Apr 29 - May 5

Going about without a coat has been such a pleasure. Every year I get the same kick as if it's a brand new event, this warming thing. DW is now thinking of moving the River Birch tree - nothing in our small yard is safe from her improvements to get the right sun/soil/moisture combination.

Shannon - that cedar chest is super. Love that you're going to keep your father's nicks.

Jessica and the twins - hope you're finding comfort in some position. Doubling in size from this point seems a bit drastic. By-the-by, I just read about identical triplet girls (natural, without IVF) - I'd never known that identical's came in groups larger than two. You can click to see pictures for easy amusement while you're confined.

Shannon in ATL 04-29-2013 06:19 AM

I'm up and around way too early today... DH is sick, has been since about 2am Sunday morning. My cat just threw up in the kitchen. Again. I've gotten very little sleep for the last two days and DSS is in a fun mood. Whoopie cushions, hiding things in his bed to make me think he's still in there, running up and down the hall singing, etc. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, and it is making me impatient rather than entertained. I need to loosen up.

Mudpie 04-29-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL (Post 4722741)
I'm up and around way too early today... DH is sick, has been since about 2am Sunday morning. My cat just threw up in the kitchen. Again. I've gotten very little sleep for the last two days and DSS is in a fun mood. Whoopie cushions, hiding things in his bed to make me think he's still in there, running up and down the hall singing, etc. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, and it is making me impatient rather than entertained. I need to loosen up.

I can't recall a post where you mentioned DSS being happy or positive. I know you're feeling tired and cranky but hey! - try to get into his mood. :hug:

Dagmar :dizzy:

WardHog 04-29-2013 08:49 AM

Shannon, get in the cedar chest. He'll never find you! ;)

More craziness here ... the school year is winding down and that means piano recital, double chorus rehearsals, chorus performance, awards ceremony, promotion ceremony, plus pre-season swim team practice.

I think I'll go for a swim. :)

Shannon in ATL 04-29-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudpie (Post 4722778)
I can't recall a post where you mentioned DSS being happy or positive. I know you're feeling tired and cranky but hey! - try to get into his mood. :hug:

No kidding. LOL :) I'm so not a morning person. It is a challenge. I pulled it off alright before dropping him off at school. :dizzy:

traveling michele 04-29-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL (Post 4722922)
No kidding. LOL :) I'm so not a morning person. It is a challenge. I pulled it off alright before dropping him off at school. :dizzy:

Thank goodness he isn't sick too!! Gotta look at the bright side.
Yesterday I found some cat puke that was very old. It was down the side of the TV, the dresser and the wall. Good times.

ICUwishing 04-29-2013 10:51 AM

Yet another glorious point in favor of house bunnies: Bunnies are physically incapable of throwing up. :D

Saturday was SO nice! Lots of stuff done outside. The only bummer? It would have been a perfect day if I could have had a beer at the end of it. Alas. It's been a week and the scale has not responded in any manner that would make me think not drinking has value, but I will soldier on in support of my buddy.

alinnell 04-29-2013 10:54 AM

Aaah, the joys of cat puke. My tuxedo cat likes to eat ribbon and then puke it up so I have to be careful when there are presents around.

DH and the in-laws and I went to our monthly wine women dinner last night at a French bistro. The highlight of the meal (IMO) was the salad: baby greens with a warm bacon vinaigrette served with a poached egg on top. Delish!

Friday we did the golf tournament--it was SO FUN! I was a bit scared when the rules indicated that you had to use a minimum of two drives per person in the foursome. I don't usually drive well, so I was kind of nervous. We got to our first hole (which was #5 as it was a shotgun start) and it happened to be a par 5 on which they were doing the longest drive competition. Oh, yeah, I was the ONLY one that hit the fairway so we used my drive! I even got to pick up the marker and put my name on it for the longest drive competition. I really amazed myself! Besides that, on our very last hole, I got the birdie putt--the only one of the round!

We golfed as usual on Saturday and Sunday mornings and I must have been tired as I couldn't golf worth crap. Oh, well.

Thinking good thoughts of Jessica!!!

Shannon in ATL 04-29-2013 11:44 AM

Michele - I also found old cat puke last night, in addition to my multiple bouts of fresh this morning. I slept in the guest room so I wouldn't bother DH while he was trying to rest and what was on both of the pillows in there? Yes. Dried up and there for goodness only knows how long.

Becky - that makes bunnies look pretty appealing as pets. Seriously.

paperclippy 04-29-2013 12:45 PM

You guys are making me very glad that I don't have a cat. :lol: At least my dog usually has the sense to ask that we let him outside when he has to puke, and it's not a regular occurrence.

Bill, apparently identicals can come in all different numbers! Twins are just more frequent (same as twins in general are more frequent than other multiples).

Still doing okay here. I lost a lot more fluid this morning so I'm not sure if it is still all from baby A or if baby B is ruptured now too, but I'm still not in labor so we might make it a few more days if we're lucky. Still no signs of infection or anything like that, although my blood pressure started going up so they're doing tests for preeclampsia now. They don't seem too concerned at the moment, probably because chances are that I'll deliver before it gets to be a problem. The nurses tell me that most people with ruptured membranes deliver within a week, and we're getting pretty close to that.

saef 04-29-2013 04:09 PM

Jessica, when I see your name on a thread here with a fresh post, I have to admit, my heart jumps in my chest just a little & I wonder what's up, what news you'll have for us. So just a few more days?

How are you passing your time in the hospital? I haven't had a hospital stay since the advent of widespread wireless hotspots but it sure has to beat hours of daytime TV watching. Have you found an online community of expectant mothers posting from hospital beds? I'm convinced there's a supportive forum for nearly everything these days.

My mother just left, after a week-long stay. My apartment is spotless but more empty than usual, peaceful but a bit chilly. I'm sitting here in a heavy sweatshirt but feeling optimistic that, eventually, I'll have the windows open again.

krampus 04-29-2013 04:39 PM

Food is out of whack and I feel puffy and sort of gross, but I went for a hike in the Adirondacks yesterday and there were red spotted newts swimming in lakes and puddles everywhere, with no fear whatsoever of humans. I stuck my finger in the water and poked one in the nose (gently of course), and put my hand in a puddle and they crawled right onto my hand.

I also kept up pace with my more expert hiker boyfriend with no issue whatsoever, including scrambling up and down many steep rocks and icy bits. I am definitely in better shape for hiking than I ever have been!

neurodoc 04-29-2013 08:43 PM

I did my first-ever CrossFit class yesterday. I thought I would vomit blood at one point. We were supposed to do 15 minutes of nonstop pushups-thrusters(squat to tip toes with a dumbbell in each hand)-overhead lifts (single, heavier dumbbell raised from floor to straight overhead) in groups of 5, 10 and 15 respectively. The coach exhorted us continuously to "push through" our "wall" because it was really all about mental persistence, not physical fatigue. I wonder how many people have actually fainted or puked from pushing past their limits?

Jessica, good luck keeping the babies in the oven for a few more days. Of course you know that modern neonatology is very good, and almost-32-week twins should do just fine.

I have to say, I don't miss cat puke since my 16 year old cat died a few years back. Now, I have a 5 year old dog who has pooping accidents 1-2x/month instead :>(

Shannon in ATL 04-29-2013 08:54 PM

Andrea - i believe Pukie the Clown is a common cross fit mascot.

Steph7409 04-29-2013 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, dried up cat puke...at least it's easier to clean up. Fortunately, only one of my current 3 is a puker.

Jessica, good luck!

I'm having a bit of good luck myself. I got called for jury duty but haven't had to report yet this week. I'd actually like to do it but it would be tough to juggle that along with work and visiting my dad. Being able to work a full day tomorrow will make it much easier if I do have to serve the rest of the week.

Here's my latest beading project. I bought a book of patterns for little (1" x 2.5") floral panels. I don't know what I'll do with them but I had fun doing the first one and there are 40 or so more!

bargoo 04-29-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph7409 (Post 4723939)
Ah, dried up cat puke...at least it's easier to clean up. Fortunately, only one of my current 3 is a puker.

Jessica, good luck!

I'm having a bit of good luck myself. I got called for jury duty but haven't had to report yet this week. I'd actually like to do it but it would be tough to juggle that along with work and visiting my dad. Being able to work a full day tomorrow will make it much easier if I do have to serve the rest of the week.

Here's my latest beading project. I bought a book of patterns for little (1" x 2.5") floral panels. I don't know what I'll do with them but I had fun doing the first one and there are 40 or so more!

So pretty, I see it as an eyeglass case.

alinnell 04-30-2013 09:34 AM

Andrea~my DD found a Crossfit on Living Social for only $30 for the month. She's considering doing it. I think she'd do fine as she routinely pushes herself in the gym. Me? I'd probably puke! I've pushed myself close to that point before and it's not a good feeling.

Hang in there, Jessica!! Still thinking positive thoughts!

Pretty beading, Steph. I'm not sure what I'd use it as, though.

I have to go for a blood draw this afternoon. I had a draw for our insurance exam a couple of months ago and I sent the results to my doctor and he's happy with my cholesterol on that but wants additional tests (thyroid and vitamin D level). I assume vitamin D is some sort of test to determine future osteoporosis? I'm just glad that these tests do not require fasting! There's nothing worse than not being able to have coffee in the morning!

bargoo 04-30-2013 09:43 AM

Allison , I hear you on the fasting blood tests. The lab where I go is right next to an IHOP, that place looks very inviting after a fasting blood test .

CherryPie99 04-30-2013 10:23 AM

Hi all!

Thought I would check in as I've been reading daily but haven't had much to contribute!

Jessica - been thinking about you a lot! Keep those legs closed together for at least a while longer!! :D

Allison - Vitamin D is related to depression as well as osteoporosis and a number of other things, including slow metabolism!

Ahhh.... a discussion on cat puke. As the owner of 10 cats, including several long haired ones, it is a remarkable day if I DON'T have to clean up cat puke!!!

I had a wonderful weekend. Got a whole bunch of outdoor chores that had been on my "to do" list done. For me there is such a great feeling being able to cross stuff off lists - weird, huh?

I'm getting nervous about the 1/2 marathon I'm running on May 11th. We drove the course this weekend and it looks to be a toughie. I am hoping for a good time, but feeling scared.

Weight is in a good spot and I love seeing our weather FINALLY warming into the 60's. Hope everyone has a great week!

Jen

traveling michele 04-30-2013 10:38 AM

Steph-- looks like a beautiful book mark to me (says the librarian)

Jen-- my dd is just getting started on her weight loss journey (and started blogging about it). I sent her over your way as I've found you very inspiring! She hopes someday to be motivational to others too.

Andrea-- that cross fit sounds terrible. I have heard of it but I won't be seeking it out after your description! I've done some boot camps but that sounds really hard core!

krampus 04-30-2013 11:47 AM

Urban Dictionary on Crossfit:

Quote:

1. Crossfit:

A bunch of rich white people paying $250/mo. to have an uncredentialed coach instruct them to have spasms with PVC pipe and seizures on pull-up bars until they vomit. They generally do this for a period of 10-30 minutes and call it a workout. Those who partake in these group activities also have the option to pay $1000 to attend a weekend course where they have an alcoholic instruct them how to better lift their PVC pipe. Some people who do these activities may also confuse being nauseous with being elite.
That said, I get "free" classes through my health insurance in June. I am interested to see how it goes.

silverbirch 04-30-2013 01:56 PM

Cheryl (jamsk8r or something like that) over on the Weights board has been cross-fitting for years. She says that the experience really does depend on the particular (can't remember the crossfit term for the gym/dojo/centre) and to try out different ones to find a good fit. Mel, a moderator here for years, entered the Crossfit Games and did quite well a few years ago. And I think that our dear midwife is also giving crossfit a go. (Ain't that right, midwife?)

It sounds as though it's becoming a bit of a craze.

Shannon in ATL 04-30-2013 08:29 PM

Cheryl and Mel were both big into CF. I didn't take official classes but did WOD workouts in my garage. They were hard as I remember. Though in hindsight, I felt good while doing them.

Mudpie 05-01-2013 05:48 AM

I'm back! :dance: And still standing. That was - hands down - the hardest dog sit I've ever done. I'm so glad it's over.

And I'm proud of myself for getting through it with only 2 minor over-eating incidents. And those were triggered by stress due to house hunting things, not by the sit itself.

Now to get my house and myself back in order!

:wave: to everyone - I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Dagmar :cool:

ICUwishing 05-01-2013 09:49 AM

:wave:

Steph, the beading is really pretty! I could see them as decorative zipper pulls for totes, or stringing a few together in a circle to dress up a lamp. I used to do Christmas ornament kits in days gone by (pre-DS), some of which were 30+ hours to complete. It was as close to meditation as I've ever been. :D Maybe this fall ...

dagmar, good to see you again! and very glad you survived!

Crossfit just looks to me like a great way to get injured. Parkour, on the other hand ... I could see myself trying at some point. :D

allison, good luck with the bloodwork numbers! I'm doing a pre-assessment next week for the summer run training program - looking forward to seeing a major difference between now and the fall post-assessment. Low Vit D is also associated with some cancers, slow recovery from injury/surgery, and poor immune system function.

Jen, you sound like you're in a really good place! You'll knock that 1/2 out of the park. :)

I've spent three days coddling a cold. NOT happy about it! I'm starting the month at 152, most of which is bloat from the red dye in the Nyquil. :mad: I told my alcohol-abstinence buddy that if I could have just sterilized my throat with a shot of whiskey when I felt the first throat tickle over the weekend, I wouldn't be in this position. Yeah, she didn't buy it either. :D But she's not dinging me for the alcohol in the Nyquil, thank goodness.

saef 05-01-2013 09:53 AM

Krampus, you know how peoples' way of eating can become sort of like a religion, not to be criticized by the non-devout? I think Crossfit and yoga are kind of like that. Any time anyone writes an article in the NY Times that criticizes either form of exercise, the comments section goes absolutely insane. The defense and criticism resembles the clashes among the followers of intermittent fasting, paleo, low-carbers, vegan, Clean Eating, Gary Taube, South Beach, Dean Ornish, etc.

Me, I think nothing in this world is above satire or criticism or jokes, but some peoples' way of eating and exercising seem to be absorbed into their identity and became very personal subjects.

I laughed at your Urban Dictionary quote, because there's a Crossfit "box" around the corner from my old apartment, which is located near the Metro North traintracks in a lower-income neighborhood -- and it is indeed amusing to see really fit, big, well-off white guys parking their nice cars in the area before work/after work and walking to the gym together. The rest of the neighborhood doesn't set foot there, I'm told. Too expensive. My former neighbors use the nearby Gold's Gym or Blink, or run outside.

alinnell 05-01-2013 10:17 AM

I'm sitting here at home this morning hoping that the dishwasher repairman lives up to his promise. He usually works in Palm Springs on Wednesdays, but Wednesday is a better day for me to take time off of work because my assistant is in the office. He said he'd do my repair first, get it out of the way early, and then move onto Palm Springs. I said he could start as early as 6 AM. It's now 7:15 and no sign of him. He said he would call if the part didn't arrive. No call, so I expect him to be here. Any bets on when he shows?

Have any of you heard of a program called Fit in 42? I talked to DH about doing this and he didn't like the idea. Basically you go to their "class" every single day for 6 weeks. They work very closely with you so you really get the benefit. They counsel you on diet (a lot of them lean toward Paleo) and supposedly after you complete it, you're fit and ready to do it on your own. While I'd really prefer doing it with someone, it looks like I might have to do it on my own, if I decide to do it. I think the next round of classes starts in a few weeks.

Jessica? You out there and hanging in there? Still thinking good thoughts!!!

Shannon in ATL 05-01-2013 01:47 PM

I just saw on FB that Jessica had the babies.

"I guess these babies did not want to wait another 8 weeks to be born! Allison Leah (in the back in photo) and Cecilia Rachel were born on 4/29 at 11:11 and 11:14pm. Allison was 3lb 6oz and Cecilia was 3lb 10oz. Both babies are in the NICU for at least a few weeks, but are doing well."

ICUwishing 05-01-2013 01:48 PM

YAY, JESSICA!!!! Congratulations!

alinnell 05-01-2013 02:52 PM

Congratulations Jessica!!!

saef 05-01-2013 03:12 PM

I thought that Jessica's silence was a pregnant one. The eggs hatched. The loaves came out of the oven. The two little girls are here.

I'm so happy for this new family.

paperclippy 05-01-2013 03:13 PM

Thanks guys, and thanks Shannon for sharing the news! It is a little funny because it was only a few hours after I last posted here that the doctors decided it was time to induce labor (since my liver enzymes were elevating). I still can't quite believe how fast everything happened. Between when they started the induction and when I delivered was only about three hours! (To be fair, it turns out that before they even started the induction I was pretty much done with early labor.) In any case, I was feeling pretty good still when they came in to place the epidural but by the time the anesthesiologist was done they had to take me straight into the OR for delivery (twins and preemies always get delivered in the OR).

Both girls were born vaginally with no problems, and I'm recovering very well from the process. I told DH right after they took me back to my room for recovery, "I almost feel like a human again." I only got to take a peek at them before they were whisked off to the NICU, but we've gotten to go down and visit them several times a day in between when I'm too sleepy to do anything. I'm going home tonight, but we'll probably be spending most of our days at the hospital for a while since the babies will be here for several weeks, up to a couple months (i.e. until their original due date).

DH has been a champ and a trooper through this whole process. I don't know what I would do without him. :love:

bargoo 05-01-2013 03:25 PM

Jessica , congratulations to you and DH. I love the names you have chosen and that you gave them individual names and not something rhyming because they are twins.
Proud of you, girl !

Shannon in ATL 05-01-2013 03:41 PM

Congratulations Jessica! They are gorgeous. :)

traveling michele 05-01-2013 04:08 PM

Congratulations Jessica! What amazing miracles. The NICU is an amazing place. You'll get to know the other families well. There will probably be other multiples there. My dd was in the NICU for a week and we felt so guilty because she was 7 pounds and was surrounded by all of the preemies. I can't see photos at work (they're blocked) so I'll eagerly take a peek at them when I get home. Glad to hear they are doing well!

silverbirch 05-01-2013 04:26 PM

Wonderful news, Jessica. Congratulations to you and DH!

Welcome, Allison Leah! Welcome, Cecilia Rachel!

CherryPie99 05-01-2013 04:30 PM

A major congrats!! That is actually really good weights for how early they are!!

And as a Simon and Garfunkle fan, I started singing when I saw the names!!!

BillBlueEyes 05-01-2013 04:53 PM

Congrats to Jessica and her DH
Welcome to Allison and Cecilia - as celebrated by Simon and Garfunkel.

Mudpie 05-01-2013 05:29 PM

Jessica, DH, and Carter :congrat: :cp: :bravo:

:welcome: to the world Allison and Cecelia

Dagmar :D

alinnell 05-01-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 4726747)
Congrats to Jessica and her DH
Welcome to Allison and Cecilia - as celebrated by Simon and Garfunkel.

Allison also has a song (if you don't mind the spelling mistake): Alison