Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default That could explain it...how accurate is BMR in maintenance?

So I generally stick around 1800-2000 cals then take weekends off. For a while, weekends off generally meant binging. Well, for the last 3 weeks I've been really working hard on the emotional stuff and starting to get control and as of today I'm 3 weeks binge free. I still take weekends "off" but it's not what it used to be.

Well for about the last 3 weeks, I've been more hungry than usual, and not the good hungry either. Today I was weak and dizzy, I had a headache and could not concentrate. Once I ate lunch I felt better, yesterday similar thing. So it's been bugging me a little and I've been trying to figure it out. I calculated my BMR and including my activity factor it's 2465! Obviously I'm not going to raise my cals that high, but there might be some tweaking that needs to be done. I did raise my cals a while back but since I was still binging it wasn't a good thing. I'm thinking I may need to give it a try.

So anyway, just wondering how acurate you find BMR calculators. I'm sure it's like anything else, we really can't put a calculator on an individual.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

I think the dietitian I'm going to see (first appointment next week!) has patients undergo cardiopulmonary metabolic testing. From my limited research it looks like that kind of test is the most accurate measure. I don't think most insurance companies cover it- but the going rate on the east coast (NYC mind you) appears to be about 120 dollars.

I imagine its not much more expensive in SoCal -but what do I know?- I don't know what your financial situation is but if that's not prohibitively expensive for you it might be worth it to have a more individualized answer.

If I get it done I'll definitely let you know if I think it's a good value if you are interested.
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote