Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/130/140

Height: 5'-8"

Default maintenance calories

Someway, somehow I've managed to get down to a weight that I am sublimely happy with. Mentally, I think I just told myself to shut up and quit complaining about it. I needed to suck it up and get on with it because "it is what it is".

Anyways, here I am. Happy with how I turned out. I can say without a doubt, I do not need to lose more to be satisfied.

Now, how do I stop?

Eating 1200 weight loss calories is easy and routine. It's been difficult and scary to incorporate more calories. It makes me too anxious and crazy over the scale number. Which has been a big reason why I've managed to get to the weight I'm at.

How long did it take everyone to figure out their maintenance calories? Weeks? Months?

Next week I am going to try and make a food plan starting at 1400 FIRM calories a day to stick to and to see how things go. Did anyone ever bounce up significantly in weight after adding in maintenance calories?
Cally Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #2  
Workin' It

It took me a while to settle at maintenance calories - I kept losing down to 117, which was way too low for me. I added gradually back in for about six months (50 per day at first, 100 per day after that) before I got to a level I liked. I didn't bounce back up in weight quickly, gained back gradually until I hit what I decided to be my set point, and then built some muscle and gained a little more weight - five extra pounds and a smaller clothing size after a year and some change of pretty solid weight training.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #3  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on getting there, we're the same height and I think 131 sounds heavenly!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

For every 200-300 cals you add back in you can expect to gain approx 1 pound ( i think these are the numbers--- and no, they are not die hard.) The reason is the actual extra weight of the additional food you are eating, as well as water weight associated with an increase in glycogen stores (ALSO because you are eating more food).That pound isnt fat...its ok. Expect to gain back any water weight you had initially lost really quickly when you began losing weight...generally that big loss that happend in the first week to 10 days of being in a deficit. That will also come back with eating at maintenance. Once again, it is NOT fat. If youve been eating at 1200 for a long time, then you *may* have a significant water/glycogen rebound happen... you can add the cals slow, you can add them fast, but the water weight will come back. Just be prepared, ya know?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have been eating 1200 for a long time, then there is a certain amount of metabolic adaptation that has occurred throughout the course of your weightloss...what this boils down to is that your new maintenance calories might not be nearly as high as one would expect (or as high as you would like) Basicvally, your body has learned to operate on only 1200 calories a day. It doesnt NEED 2000 any more to function. It has become very efficient (some people confuse ths with, and refer to it as "starvation-mode") Did you do any/alot of strength training when youw ere losing? Did you eat high protein? Whatever muscle mass you managed keep will also factor into your new maintanance range

Last edited by mkroyer; 10-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote