Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Moving away from the gym...

About a month ago, I gave notice at the gym. I had realized that I was no longer liking to go there, and I decided the time to end it was now, not in six months after I've stopped going and am still paying for it.

For someone who has been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for four years, this is a big change for me. It hasn't been the same gym--this is the third gym I've belonged to in those four years.

The first thing I noticed after a month was that my back has stopped hurting all the time. It's been a year and a half since my back flared up, and it was because I was overdoing it with the gym. You'd think someone would be able to figure out that stopping would be something to try, and I wish I'd done that sooner! I tried cutting down, but evidently 3 or 4 times a week wasn't cutting down enough. And I'm not talking about anything heavy duty--just aerobic machines and reasonably light weights. But even that was evidently too much.

I've been back to the gym twice in the last month. I did not feel any joy at being there.

I can't give up exercising to stay fit, but my fitness program has to change. I have added walks on the beach weekly, and I now do workouts with programs on Fit TV. Some of them include hand weights, which I have. I need to get a resistance band. I also bought a DVD of one of my favorite workout people.

I don't have a bicycle and don't want one. We do have a pool, but it's too hot in the summer to do much swimming. Our community center offers yoga classes weekly also, and I might look into those.

What sorts of physical activity do you folks engage in, when you're not going to the gym? I'd like to hear some of your ideas.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

JayEll, I walk, do Callanetics and stretches, and sometimes use a mini-trampoline. I like things as low impact as possible. Callanetics is, for me, a miracle. Sometimes I use other things, for variety, Angela Lansbury's "Positive Moves" video, and have now found some more stretches I like at Yogatic online. (I like things that don't cost money and which do not require me to drive anywhere.)

My fitness goals are to not hurt anywhere, to be as flexible as I can, strong enough to dance some (at home), to be able to easily do my chores and some repairs, and enjoy my walks, and to be sleek. I have been able to walk more briskly recently and look forward to being able to move even more freely.

I garden quite a bit, and have found that using my little reel (blades only) mower, hauling buckets of water, picking up things out of the yard, pruning, carrying and dragging things has helped me a great deal, too. My gardening fitness program has done a great deal for the way it looks outside and for me, too.

I like doing things outside and inside, and having a nice mixture of strenuous and gentle, demanding and softer movements, at varying rates of speed. I like doing movements which allow me to control the way I use every muscle and pay attention to the way I'm breathing. I mostly like to exercise in silence, but occasionally will watch a video and move along simultaneously.

This may not be much to some folks, but it does tremendous things for me and I enjoy moving in these ways.

I wish you much joy in your next exercises.

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-19-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: corrected error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I totally understand where you are coming from. I joined a gym and in that year hated it. I thought it was stupid to drive there and then I couldn't walk cuz it was EIGHT miles away. I didn't want to bike there cuz the roads are fast and high traffic ones. So I cancelled my membership and went on craigslist and got a treadmill for $100 and have used it since. Best investment ever.

I also walk during my lunches for half an hour (though since the heat I've cut down on walks) also- it gets at least something in and I usually burn 300-400 calories with those workouts

Hubby and I did buy a bike but we've been so busy I'm ashamed to say they have been sitting there for a few months! We've got to get back on that!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #4  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I would love to join a gym, but simply don't have time. Here's what I do - definitely mix it up so that I'm working different muscles & changing up the intensity.

1. Treadmill - I happen to have one at home, and (especially in the winter) use it for both running & incline walking.
2. Running outside - just started this and I'm LOVING it! I also take lots of walks whenever time permits.
3. DVDs - I love me those workout DVDs. My favs right now are: Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Jules Benson Core Pilates, Mari Windsor Pilates (with resistance ball), and Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones. I have to actually resist buying more, but I love having a nice library of options & durations.
4. Self-directed strength training - I always do at least 15 minutes of push-ups, tricep dips, and core work after either treadmill or outdoor activity. I also have a list of "go to" moves that work really well when I'm in a hurry. Put my tunes on, get my heart rate up for about 5 minutes, and then get after it!

Hopefully some of this helps. Other than my treadmill, the only "equipment" that I own is hand weights and a yoga mat.

I used to LOVE the gym in my 20s. But after a decade away, I just don't see myself giving up the convenience of workout out at home. I really love it.

Cheryl
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #5  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I do a lot of isometric exercises (if you google, you will find a lot of them). They raise your heartrate and cause all your muscles to fire all at one, so it's a terrific workout. My trainer has me doing them, and as long as you have the right form, you will get a workout!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

JayEl, I hate gyms. Basically I created my own home gym because I didn't like having to get things ready to go exercise, change at the gym, exercise, wait for machines being occupied, then shower and go home. It took up too much of my precious time. So I bought an elliptical, weights and treadmill. I have a resistance bike stand for the winter. I have several DVDs for a change. Basically, I added to my home gym what I liked to do at the gym so I never had to go. Heck I have a pool for swimming too. But that I put in long ago and it's for my playing enjoyment. But occasionally I love my workout to be in it.

So my recommendation is to think of what you enjoyed at the gym and find a way to make it work for you at home. Craigslist mentioned above is a great way to stock your home gym. Also, not paying for the membership affords me the $$$ to have good equipment.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I hate gyms, too. I've also created my own home gym.

I do a lot of dumbbell work in my garage, run, recently added a squat rack I enjoy, have a treadmill, elliptical machine and stationary bike.

But, that sounds like what you just left.

I am really enjoying yoga lately - I've been doing podcasts that I downloaded. If you take some classes at your community center and learn the postures you could easily do some more yoga at home. Some dumbbells will help with the exercise tv routines. Walking and running are good. I've never used resistance bands, but hear great things about them.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Thanks to all of you for posting! Many good ideas and strategies.

SilverLife, I did Callanetics years ago and liked it. I think I still have the book! I'll have to get it out--that could be a great addition.

MaddiesMom, thanks for the tip about isometrics. I forget about those. Some of the workouts I watch have some isometric exercises in them. I like the "plank" for core strengthening, for example. But I have to modify sometimes for my back.

I don't have the room in my house for a home gym, and no garage (which here in Fla. would have to be air conditioned to work as a workout space). But I have no desire to have one, really. I couldn't even fit an exercise ball in here, realistically. It works much better for me to "rent" the machines by joining the gym. In the past I have owned a rowing machine and an exercise bike, both of which didn't get used after awhile. I also once had a bicycle, and the same thing happened there. It gathered dust and the tires got flat. So I'm not inclined to go that route.

I like the DVDs so far--and the FitTV shows. There are different ones every day, which is good.

I figure that I can join the gym again if I find I miss the machines. :-)

Thanks again--more ideas are welcome!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Jay (JayEll) - I've no wise thoughts for which direction you take from here, but I do offer Kudos to you for taking an action rather than just winding down into oblivion. Methinks that the big deal in our journeys is to always be responsible for making choices - especially when we have stuff that says that not making a change is the noble path.

Good luck with whatever you chose, chose again, and then again and again as necessary to find your fit.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-20-2010 at 08:46 AM.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Would you like a yoga studio? Or pilates? What about taking up karate.

Personally running is my passion and hiking. I only go to the gym 2xs a week to strength train or if I couldn't run outside for some reason.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I only go to the gym 3x a week for weight training over my lunch hour. I have a recumbent exercise bike that I get on 6x a week right away in the morning. I also like to do other things occasionally like take long walks with my dog, go for a "wog" (walk/jog) with DH, take in a water aerobics class, use my exercise ball or jump rope--you get the idea.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Jay, best of luck with how you work this out. I remember that you set a course of action for yourself to rethink all your old routines & to change things up, so this sounds like you're continuing to carry out your plan.

My own odyssey took me in the opposite direction: I started exercising outside, walking, wogging, running, and ended up moving inside because machines were easier on my bad feet. (Plantar fasciitis in left foot, arthritic big toe joints in both feet.) Also because NY weather was often an obstacle, as well as early-falling darkness in an urban area.

But I can tell you that while I was spending the majority of my time out of doors, I did quite a good job of researching & finding all the state parks in the area with good running/walking trails & also all the bike path networks (which runners also use around here). I also looked into hiking clubs that meet up in the area. A lot of NYers travel to the Catskills & Hudson River area & rural NJ & CT & other nearby parts of New England on weekends to get their hikes in. This looked awfully intriguing. I've got the hiking boots, and if my feet behave, may yet try some of the moderate-rated hikes.

Last edited by saef; 07-21-2010 at 10:08 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/130/140

Height: 5'-8"

Are there any sports you are interested in?

For me, I've been moving around a lot since graduating college trying to advance my career, and one of the best things I found for meeting people was a sports pick up group. There usually soccer, volleyball, basketball, frisbee, etc. groups that meet up once a week or more for games. I've also noticed alot of outdoor boot camp style fitness classes going on around town. If I had more time I'd be all over those.

For me my passion is horses and riding, and I'm lucky it is a highly physical activity. All the care involved, all the grooming, and cleaning, and training, and riding, and getting on and off to move things around, I figure I spend about 300+ calories at an average night at the barn with a ride.
Cally Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #14  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Running is my core aerobic activity, but I have a hodge podge of other exercise activities that I do...

I walk a lot. A 45 minute walk is my thinking time. Walking helps me clear my head.

I like going out dancing. It's fun and doesn't feel like exercise. None of the other people at the clubs would ever guess that I am 40 because I'm pretty youthful. And energetic. Dance clubs don't serve food so I don't eat back the calories I burn.

I used to hate biking, but I got a used bike for $50 and I have been using it. I forgot how good it feels to have the breeze in my face and rolling down a hill. I don't think biking burns a lot of calories since I go slow, but it is a whole lot of fun.

A friend donated his Bowflex to me & I'm ashamed to say I barely use it. But I want to use it more. Great for strength training.

I'd like to buy a hula hoop because it's a lot of fun and might teach me to move my hips more smoothly. I used a hula hoop recently and had a good time doing it and was surprised how long I could do it for (30 minutes). Weighted hula hoops are easy to maneuver.

I guess you could I am an active person. Three years ago, the only exercise I got was running down the stairs to pay the pizza delivery guy.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote