Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #1  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Default Food without nutritional value

I have pretty much cut out most processed food, flour and sugar from my diet. I have come to enjoy eating a diet of primarily veggies, fish, milk, eggs, fruit, and some fat.

I am confused about where treats fit into a food plan. Do people eat a treat like an ice cream cone because they crave one? Do you eat these things simply for taste? Are you hungry when you eat a treat and do you feel satisfied after?

For me, I think I'd only want a bite or two of a dessert b/c sugar doesn't satisfy my hunger at all. But I do like the taste of things like chocolate.

I hope my question make sense. I am confused about the point of treats in my food plan. Can someone help me out?

Thanks.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat the occasional treat because I like them. I don't have to be hungry to eat a treat.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

For me treat = reward. That's kinda *ssbackwards in that I'm allowing myself something I don't normally eat (which usually has more calories) as a reward for staying in my weight range.

But that's better than treat = comfort as then I tend to binge on the treat food.

I'm trying to alter my taste in treats too. Discovered I really like green olives stuffed wtih the little red thing - pimento? So those are treats now. Ditto lower fat cheese slice on a piece of toast.

Treats keep my "eating life" interesting.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

One of my favorite treats in the summer is a soft ice cream cone. Given the variety of calorie counts I've found (and frankly the size varies depending on who is dispensing although I almost always go to the same place) I figure is 250-300 calories. Not an every day thing, but something that "fits" in a week where there are not a lot of other extra calories.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and fruit usually doesn't cut it for me. I've tried cutting sugar/carbs in the past and that doesn't quite do the trick for my sweet craving. So every night I have a 100-150 cal skinny cow ice cream or some other kind of low cal/low fat thing, like maybe chocolate pudding or whatever. I know that I'm going to have this everyday and I allow for those cals. I don't care that nutritionally it does nothing for me and about 50% of the time I'm not "hungry" per se. The other 50% of the time I am still hungry and it will usually satisfy my hunger and my sweet tooth. I know that I *should* only eat when I'm hungry and I *should* only eat things that fuel my body but my evening skinny cow and morning cup of coffee with sugar free creamer (also planned for) are just something that I enjoy and choose to do. So granted this is 200-300 cals that I set aside for *foods* that don't fuel my body. Sometimes I try to make it greek yogurt with fruit when I'm feeling like a health nut. I think it just depends on the person, like I said I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. So my point being that you just need to set aside the cals for your "treats" and plan ahead for them.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Treats are just that - those occasional things we really enjoy eating that aren't a large part of a daily diet. I love a medjool date spread with nut butter, which really satisfies the sweet tooth and the fat tooth LOL!

I go out for frozen yogurt in the summer months. I also will go to a bakery and get a 'real' baked good item. I figure I would rather go out and get a premium item periodically than fill up every day with 100-calorie snack packs. But that's just me.

I really eat for taste and not just food as fuel. I have come to realize that I really am a food lover and that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote