Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default How Often Do You Weigh?

I am not at maintenance, but I thought I'd ask the experts - how often do you weigh?

In the past I weighed once a week. Now that I'm in menopause and the weight comes off slowly and sometimes weeks will pass and I won't lose, I'm wondering if I should maybe just weigh in once a month to see true progress. I don't know.

What do you folks do? Your opinions are very welcomed. Thanks!
tealover9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #2  

I suppose the more appropriate question would be, how often did you weigh while you were losing weight?

Maybe it hasn't changed in maintenance for you. Thanks.
tealover9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/237/170

Height: 5'4"

I always used to weigh in once a week. I used to pick Monday's in an attempt to keep me on track all weekend knowing that I had to weigh in come Monday morning. Now, however, I am weighing in every day or every other day simply because I am using the wii fit system and it has a built in scale. It can be frustrating to see every small and natural fluctuation in your weight with the more frequent weigh-ins but I also suppose you see the effects of a bad food choice quicker. I guess it's really six of one and half a dozen of another.

onanotherquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

While I was losing I weighed once a week on Friday morning. Once I started maintaince I began weighing more often, then it became everyday. With me it becomes a problem when I let the scale determine my mood (and eating patterns) for the day. I'd see a pretty good number and think I could "pig out" a little. Then of course the next day I would see a bad number and I would be depressed all day... So at least for Lent, I'm back for weekly weigh days, on Wednesday. (Like how many people give up the scale for lent?? )It was hard going back to weekly, but it really has helped me not think about stupid food so much. Now, I have (always had) an issue with the scale, but there are lots of maintainers who have no problems what-so-ever with daily weighing. So...it's really a personal and mental thing I guess.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

When I was losing I weighed once a week. Now, I'm losing again, and it changes around a bit, with a minimum of once a week (same day, same time to be consistent). Sometimes I'll weigh every day and it's definitely made me aware of water fluctuations from a high-sodium meal, or a hard workout, etc. Sometimes that starts to drive me crazy and I will literally put the scale away, and just take it out for my once-a-week weigh-in.

The important thing for me is to weigh once a week, to give myself that accountability. If I try to live "intuitively" I will inevitably gain weight.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I weigh every morning, same as I did when I was losing. Personally I am more comfortable with watching the daily fluctuations than with only weighing once a week, and not knowing whether that one day happened to be fluctuating high or low.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Something I can only imagine will keep me in maintenance is daily weighing. I know from past experience just while losing that if I weigh weekly, I allow myself to skip a weigh in if I'm scared and that turns into several skips and then a year being off plan because I'm afraid to face it. Even now, with daily weighing, there have been a few days I've wanted to skip. But I make myself do it because I think for me I have to. I can't have an excuse not to get on that scale. I've never weighed, seen the number and then NOT done something about it. That only happens when I'm avoiding the scale.

Daily weighing has been freeing for me. It has given me armor so that I am not afraid of maintenance. I know I will maintain. I have no doubts. I have doubts about getting the weight off, but I'm not afraid of maintenance because I weigh every day.

Here's to hoping I'm not naive!

Last edited by Eliana; 03-05-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #8  
Meg

I weigh myself every day, just like I did when I was losing. And I chart it. For me, once a week wouldn't work because I can do a lot of damage in a week! Every day weighing keeps me accountable and shows me that there are consequences to bad choices.

But it's definitely a personal matter and some people find that frequent weighing messes with their heads. That's something that each of us needs to find out for ourselves. Regular weighing is necessary for maintenance, but how frequently is personal.

I've been doing it for so long that it's easy to keep the number in perspective, especially because I know exactly what certain foods and situations will do to my weight. I can usually guess my weight every morning within .2 pounds, just by how I feel and what I know I did the day before.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #9  
Workin' It

I weighed twice per week when I was losing, but only logged once. The same day was logged every week.

In maintenance I log and chart every day. It gives me a very clear picture of impact from diet and exercise, which I like. The more information I have the better I feel.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #10  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
The more information I have the better I feel.
Shannon, I like that. I feel the same way, that knowledge is power and the more information I have, the more control I have to prevent regain.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I weighed daily as I was losing and I weigh daily now. Like others have stated, it keeps me on track. The only time in my life that I have steadily gained is when I was not weighing myself regularly.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

I weigh often, and since we don't have a decent scale at home, I use the gym scale as my "official" scale. So basically I weigh whenever I'm their - usually 4-5 days a week, but only Fridays are recorded.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I am a daily weigher. If I don't weigh I am at serious risk for gain. *insert horror smiley here*
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
The more information I have the better I feel.
Yes, me too. And I weigh myself daily, every morning, starkers and after going to the loo.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #15  
Happy Member

I weighed myself daily while losing the weight, and now that I am maintaining that weight loss I still weigh myself daily.

I am very much afraid that if I don't weigh daily I will regain all those lost lbs. It is one of the tools that keeps me on track.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote