Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Default How many times did your "goal" change?

I am fairly near to my originally set goal of 161 at this point... but I am not happy with how I look yet. After seriously considering lowering my goal weight, I've decided to wait until I hit my goal and then re-evaluating. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I have unrealistic expectations of how I'd like to look. The lowest weight I've been was 167, so I know what that looks like. BUT, that was 5 years ago and I've got more muscle tone now... and I don't think I look as good as I used to. I'm a little perplexed so I thought I would come on over to the pro's and ask:
Did you lower your goal weight once you got to the one you'd originally set? If so, why?
-OR- Did you lose more weight than you originally intended? Why?

Last edited by stargzr; 01-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm . . . Well, when I started losing I didn't have a "goal" weight. Then I found 3FC and saw that everyone had goals, so I went to a BMI chart and picked a number smack dab in the middle of the "normal" range for my height, which ended up being 130. When I got there I was happy with how I looked.

This past week I actually changed my goal weight UP to 135. My weight has fluctuated a lot the past couple years due to developing hypothyroidism, eating too much, and weight training, and it turns out that I have built enough muscle that at 135 I will be approximately the same size that I was at 130 a few years ago. So I think my goal is more a size than a weight at this point. If I fit comfortably in my size 6 wardrobe, and I feel okay wearing a bikini, I'm satisfied, regardless of the number on the scale.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I've changed mine many times. When I first started out, I just wanted to feel better. Being "Super-morbidly obese" was a death sentence and first and foremost in my thoughts were to get to a weight where I could breath freely...maybe 100 pounds off. Just to feel better and so death wasn't knocking on my door so loudly. Once I got going I started making different goals, but looking back, I guess they are what people call "mini-goals". Though I still believe that there is nothing "mini" about losing even 1 pound!

After losing the first 100 my next goal was just to get under 200, then it was to get to 175, then it was to get to 158, (normal BMI) then it was to get to 143, (190 pounds lost). I still feel like I'm selling myself short when I see other women my height with much lower goal and/or actual weights. Sometimes I feel like I'm just "settling" at a number because I don't want to work harder to get another 10 pounds off.

The only thing I do know for sure is that my primary number one goal of all times is to not gain back what I have lost. So that's what I work on every day.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-20-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #4  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I've changed mine a few times. It was originally 140, then 138 (for an even 75 lbs lost... yeah, weird, I know), then it was 130...and finally I settled on anywhere between 130-140 (135 being in the middle) as long as I am happy with my body.

If I am 140 and my body is fantastic thanks to weight lifting, then I'm happy.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

My goal is still in flux. I think it is normal to adjust as you go to find what works for you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I officially moved my goal once, from 140 lbs to 135 lbs. Had it in my head that I'd like a little wiggle room, and since my official weigh-ins are first thing in my birthday suit, I also have it in my head that I'd like to be no more than 140 at the drs office ... you know, after lunch, with clothes/shoes on. However, things were very slow those last few months and I did not exactly pursue 135, just kind of let it happen.

I'm still doing the same thing. I do have it in my head that 130 lbs would be good ... but I'm in maintenance mode and taking the tack that if it happens, it happens. I've had a somewhat downward trend in my recent ups and downs, so it might keep going down more over a longish period of time (months).

I'd like that, but I describe it as a non-pursuit because basically, I am already eating on the low side and working out 6-7 days per week. Still early days for me, but it looks like ~135 is maintained on my current plan and I only want what will be maintained on what I'm doing.

For now, I'd only like to instill a little 'crackdown' if I am 140 or more on a Monday morning. Further, I'd like for my official weigh-ins to not go over 145 lbs for the rest of my life, except during pregnancy. I'd rather be 135, but I say 145 because I was 140-145 in college and I know from having gained the weight and having lost it, that 145 (really, 14anything) feels a lot different to me than 15something.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote