Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #1  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone lost weight eating everything in moderation?

Hey guys,

I hope it's ok to start a thread. I've been mostly a lurker here for a long time. I know most of you successful people eat super clean and many of you pretty much never eat anything off plan. When I lost weight 13 years ago (37 lbs), I ate super clean too and NEVER ate anything off plan. I managed to lose the weight and keep 2/3 of it off, but I've struggled with binge-eating and I think it's totally related to how boring and restrictive my diet was. I'm trying for the billionth time to lose the 12 lbs I regained, but this time I'm just trying to eat less of everything ("everything" means a healthy diet 80% of the meals, with 80 calories worth of chocolate a day and a slice of pizza on Saturday. Yes, ONE slice).

So... did any of you lose weight using this approach?

Thanks!
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, yes and no. Eating everything in moderation was not my -only- plan, ever...for loss or for maintenance. My "moderation" is too much for my body. That being said, I make room in my calories for "less-than-perfect" foods quite often. Until very recently, I had 150 calories of pure junky light ice cream bar for dessert, every night. My weekends usually involve eating smaller lunches and snacks, and going a big bigger on breakfast and dinner, so I can fit in things like pizza, chili, etc. But I still am keeping an eye on those calories, both for my healthy foods AND for the foods that are "sometimes" items.

I also have uncounted indulgences, rarely...things I know would blow my calories a bit high for the day, but that I want and eat less than once a month. Usually, this is a cupcake. I have a thing for cupcakes. If I had to live the rest of my life without cupcakes, my life would be less than it is now.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I don't really eat super clean, I set a calorie limit and eat pretty much anything I want within that limit. I mostly eat good stuff, have added veggies, etc, but I do also eat oreo cookies and had nachos lats night, etc. If I tried to stick to a plan where there were things I couldn't eat I would go nuts... And, I did lose weight eating the same way. I did trade some of the lower 'bang for the back' calorie foods for better for me options when I was losing, sometimes, though.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I eat everything in moderation, to a certain extent. I make an effort to have food that has good nutritional value and isn't just empty calories, but throughout my weight loss and maintenance I had a "cheat" meal every week where I ate whatever I felt like and didn't think about the calories or nutritional content.

For me, "off plan" literally means "over my calorie budget for the day." So technically, I could eat 1400 calories of chocolate, and if I had nothing else all day, I'd still be "on plan." I'd feel like crap afterwards though!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Actually I should amend that. If I plan out my food in advance for the day, then I consider anything that wasn't in that plan to be "off-plan." Usually this equates to being over my calorie budget.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My approach to everything in moderation means that I don't hit myself for indulging in something once in a while. The key words here are once in a while. I still eat pizza, have a burger, have a drink, etc. once in a while. For the most part, my meals are planned with a specific daily caloric intake in mind (1200-1400). Recently I think my downfall is looking at my exercise as an excuse to eat a little bit more since I've exercised away a certain amount of calories. I'm not doing that any more--I count what goes in and just pat myself on the back for doing the exercise.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #7  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Quote:
For me, "off plan" literally means "over my calorie budget for the day."
Yeah, for me too. It works for maintenance. It seems that I can eat no matter what and maintain as long as I don't exceed my calorie limit. Btw, I'm an idiot: I forgot to mention calories in my original post. When I lost weight I ate 1000-1200 calories a day (and was constantly starving). To maintain I eat about 2000. I'm going for an average of 1500 this time. It takes FOREVER to lose a single pound, but it seems to be better for my sanity.

Thanks for your input, guys. Anyone else?
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Pretty much the same story here. I did allow "everything in moderation" and it was my mantra going into this journey. That being said, as a calorie counter, I found I could eat more food, and enjoy eating more, and feel better, if I ate "clean". Thus, I slowly changed what I was eating. But, it became what I preferred. I actually preferred to reach for fresh fruit instead of empty calories, for example.
Things that I never gave up and still partake of daily (in moderation) - red wine and dark chocolate. I also have a Jelly Belly dispenser on my desk at work that gets some regular activity.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

There are very few foods that I consider totally off-limits - mostly those that I know I cannot stop eating until they're gone. Otherwise, I eat most everything I want, just that I eat some of it all the time, and the rest occasionally. ANd I stay within a calorie limit. I do once in a while have a day I don't count, but I go right back to the counting the next day. THese are often days I'm invited out and just have no control over what's being served. If I know that, I plan the surrounding meals accordingly.

But like you, I'm working to get back to goal so I'm watching things more closely these days, and having the treats or non-counting meals less often. For instance, right now I'm not drinking wine at home. If I go out, I'll have one glass (and this works because I'm also cheap and hate paying what they want in a restaurant. ).

One thing you didn't address is what you do for exercise. Any? A little? A lot? That might be the key for you.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I am trying the moderation thing. I do keep around 1500 cals but I am also trying to learn portion control and never eating more the 4 cups of food at 1 time. I also try to make 2 cups of that veggies at dinner when its my biggest meal. I am working on shrinking my actual stomach so it will hold less food I hope to get to no more than 3 cups.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #11  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

I have had much success with eating everything in moderation! what really helps is that when i eat "junk food" most of the time it's still "light". light ice cream, popcorn, dark chocolate, organic low fat pizza, etc etc etc. and i still portion control like crazy! like i made my kids nachos the other day and i wanted some SO BAD. so i made some! but i got out one portion of chips and arranged them on a plate, weighed out one serving of chicken and shredded it, weighed out 1oz of chesse, then put just a LITTLE on each chip and nuked it. this way i got a plate of nachos for 250 cals and they were just as gooey and delish as if i had made ginormous fatty ones. so yes, i eat EVERYTHING i want but stay in my cal range. once i got past the initial obstacles and had been on my plan for a while, i dont crave all the crap i used to. i think the stuff i crave now is not even HALF as bad as before! haha today i was craving hummus and pretzels.... 3mos ago it would have been a large fry... go figure
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Anyone lost weight eating everything in moderation?
The year I was losing? Absolutely, positively - NO. I don't do moderation well. I didn't even do morbid obesity - moderately. I think my BMI was 56 point something.

I knew the only way I could seize control on my out of control eating was to give myself definite "NO'S". It was the only way. I had to make certain (many) foods totally and completely off limits. I could not let the door open. I couldn't leave them as an option. I knew or at least hoped that eventually - down the road I would be able to bring them back in that moderation you speak of, but in the beginning - no. It was the only way for me.

And it was a great decision. I was so determined to lose the weight, that I didn't miss them one little bit. I never, ever, not once felt deprived. Not even a little bit. What I was doing to myself by EATING that stuff was depriving myself - of the best me that I can be. A fit and trim and healthy and happy woman.

Now that I am in maintenance, I suppose I eat everything in moderation. Or at least most things. But not on an every day basis. I eat really, really "clean" most of the time and have splurges occasionally. In a controlled setting usually. At a social function or a restuarant - in other words out of my house. Where I can't go back for seconds or thirds.

I am pretty certain though, that by bringing back those once off limit foods, that my wants for them came roaring back, unfortunately. But I do keep it in check thanks to some really great habits that I acquired while I was losing weight and the incredible desire to STAY this weight, now that I'm here.

The great thing is, I now love, thoroughly enjoy and crave all the "clean" foods that I'm eating. It's amazing to me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default Never eat anything off plan?????

I just re-read your post.

I had answered the title question, but didn't address what else you were saying.

Never eat anything "off plan"? Ha! First off, I actually PLAN my "off plan" splurges. They're now just part of the "plan". And sometimes, oh my, I don't even PLAN them - and they suddenly appear.

Anyway, I think you can lose weight eating a slice of pizza once a week and a small piece of chocolate. That's fairly moderate, I must say. But are you planning on counting your calories? Strictly? I think that will be the key for you. Because as clean (for lack of a better term) as you eat the remainder of the time, if you're still ingesting more calories then is required for you to get a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.

Okay, now I just read your middle post. It says you plan on counting and staying at 1500 calories. That's a good place to start. Just make sure you really, REALLY track them closely. This way you know where to go and just how that 1500 affects you.

I think exercise would help you greatly too.

Quote:
I've struggled with binge-eating and I think it's totally related to how boring and restrictive my diet was
This can also be a factor for you. You must, must, MUST find foods, healthy, low or lower calorie, nutritious foods that are DELICIOUS!!!! They do exist. This is how I stay on plan as well as I do and for so long. There's no way on earth I would stick to this if I wasn't loving what I was eating. You've got to find foods that you ENJOY. Got to. Got to. Got to. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good. Do some scrounging around the net for healthy recipes. There are tons of them. Tweak your own ones. Rethink what a "treat" is.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-03-2009 at 05:44 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #14  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I'm a calorie counter too -- Nothing is "off limits" per se, just have to stay within budget. But I have to watch carbs, because they trigger binge-tendencies. It's hard for me to just have a little -- I'm better off avoiding.

I know this thread is about the eating side of the calorie equation, but I also can't lose (or maintain, for that matter) without a consistent exercise program. Burning more calories through exercise not only makes me feel better, it lets me eat a little more, which helps me to stay on plan long term.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

clarabr, my diet is about 80% really healthy and 20% junk. It makes me happy, keeps me on plan, avoids binges (usually), and gets and keeps the weight off. If I need to lose, I still have about the same healthy/junk ratio, but I have to watch the calories more.

Also, exercise is a nice-to-have for losing weight, but I find it to be absolutely essential for maintaining.

How is the little one? You were pregnant when I was if I remember correctly.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote