Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default How to maintain?

Ok...I'm 4 or 5 pounds from my goal, so now I'm starting to stress a little about what to do now...

Since July 31/Aug. 1 of 2007, I've been working out five days a week (cardio M-F, weights MWF), and eating around 1,600 to 1,700 calories per day, on average (more some, less others). I've been losing a pound a week.

So now what? When I get those last five off...what do I do? Work out less? Eat more? Do both? If I stay on the same track I've been on, I would, in theory, keep losing and, in my opinion and that of many others, parts of me are getting too thin and bony at 165, much less into the 150s if I lose more.

Has anyone else reached maintenance weight, and what did you do to level off?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I haven't reached a maintenance weight yet, but from what I've learned from many of the maintenance gurus on this site, you should keep your exercise the same and just slowly increase your calories by 100 or so every week or two and see if you can maintain at that level. If you lose some, bump it up a little bit, and if you gain, bump it down a little bit. From what I gather, maintenance looks just like losing weight, only you get a few more calories. You should still keep up all of the healthy habits that you used to lose the weight. Maybe some others with some experience will hop in here and give there perspectives!

How fantastic it is that you're so close to goal! Congrats on all of your hard work and best of luck on your continued success!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you seen our Maintainers section? You might want to head on over and pose your question there...we have LOTS of maintainers sharing their experiences with keeping weight off, once lost.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

How exciting that you're so close!!!!

You might want to start hanging around the Maintenance area to see what others are doing to be successful.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170

Just reading through some threads there is very enlightening.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #5  

Thanks!! I noticed the Maintenance area after I'd posted, but didn't know how to move my post!! I'll be hanging out there in a couple of weeks!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hang out here now. Hang out here right now.

Congrats Mindi on the wonderful accomplishment!!!! You must be feeling ecstatic beyond belief. Welcome to the world of maintenance, yes, you're THERE!

I would continue to do the same things that led you to lose the weight, in order to maintain it. You can either increase your calories (slowly) every day, say 100 cals or so or you can add in a weekly "splurge" meal, which is what I do. Other then that meal, my week looks pretty much the same as it did while I was losing. I eat the same healthy foods in the same portions, I track my calories, I exercise, though that is probably a tad less then while I was losing.

With a little experimentation, and then some adjustments as needed, you will be just fine.

Congrats on a job very well done. I look forward to hearing more from you. Make sure you join us in our weekly chat as we all ride the maintenance roller coaster. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #7  

Thanks, rockinrobin...

I'd kinda considered the same thing you're doing...keeping on task during the week, with a little leniency on weekends. And maybe workouts 4 days a week instead of five... Guess I'll have to experiment and see what works best!!