Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Brand new and jumping in with a question

Hello!
I am below my WW goal but would like to lose a few more pounds. I'm just navigating around the forums and think this one might be a good one for me.

I have a clothing question. When I was bigger, I hated shopping for clothes because I didn't like the way anything fit on me. I was sooooo looking forward to being able to buy cute clothes. Now, I am having trouble finding clothes small enough-- I never thought I would say that!!

I'm wondering where you ladies shop? What brands do you like? I am 41 but like to dress nicely. I can dress fairly casual but conservatively where I work. I was shopping at Coldwater Creek but the smallest size pants they have is a 6 and many of those are getting too big for me now. I would say I am a size 4-6 now (again, I can't believe I am saying that!!). I'm planning a trip to the mall this week and am wondering where to look. TIA!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I am a huge fan of Ann Taylor, gorgeous fitted stuff
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I also love Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft, particularly because when I was at my highest weight, I could not fit into any of their clothes so it is exciting to me to be able to shop there again.

Some of my other fav stores are Talbots (I know it has a reputation as an old ladies' store but I've gotten some very stylish outfits, especially business suits, there that really fit great); J.Jill, Banana Republic, the Gap, J. Crew, Eddie Bauer, and Lands End (mostly online, although Sears carries some of their stuff). I've found some great dresses at Macy's. All of these stores go down to at least a size 4, most go to a size 0. Oh, and for really casual (t-shirts, shorts, trendy stuff) I love Target, which carries down to size 2/XS.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-24-2008 at 04:04 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I am having the same clothing issues!!! How ironic ... when I was heavier, I could find plenty of clothes that fit, but hated the way I looked. Now that I've lost weight and am liking the new me -- I'm having a terrible time finding things that fit!! It's just never a problem I thought I'd have when I finally lost weight!

Part of the problem is that the sizes are all whacked out now. Manufacturers are making their sizes bigger and bigger, without telling you. And different lines are all over the map. It's gotten noticeably worse over the last few years, too. I wear anything from a 4P down to a 00P, depending on the clothing line. And I'm not THAT small!!! In 1950, I would have been a 10P.

My DH thought I was nuts until he went with me over the weekend to Outdoor World because I was looking for some hiking shorts. You'd think sporting goods would be designed for fit, thinner people, right? He finally believed me after seeing me try on a size 4 and it was literally falling off. It was nearly the same dimensions as the 5-year-old size 8 hiking shorts in my closet, no lie. And some brands don't go smaller than that ....! The sales lady told me to go look in the children's section!! As a 40-something mother of teenagers, I'm just not that into ultra low-rise pink and purple floral capris, if you know what I mean .... I know it's a high class problem that many would kill for, but it's Just Not Fair!

I'm looking for the "smaller, short lady" stores myself. I've been successful at Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, and Coldwater Creek. My sister just turned me on to J.Jill, and I found one near me, so I'm going to check that one out too.

Thanks for listening to me vent ....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I find you just have to try things on, even at the same store sizes will vary according to style. I carry a tape measure with me and measure the inseam on pants so I don't buy something that has to be altered. I only buy pants that are labeled petite or short to avoid the crotch hanging to my knees. I can generally wear regular sizes in tops although sometimes sleeves are either too long or too short. No matter what it is better than having to go to the "Queen Size" store.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't have trouble finding clothes that fit usually, but I'm a 6/8 in today's sizes. Some stores, especially the ones that carry a lot of larger sizes, don't have as many in the smalls. I was pretty annoyed when I went to my local running store and they didn't have any long pants in a small OR a medium, just extra small, large, and extra large!

I'm 25 so I try to go for more youthful-looking clothes (I wouldn't set a foot in Coldwater Creek! ), but I usually shop at Anne Taylor Loft, New York & Co (not sure if they have stuff small enough for you), Macy's, Kohl's, and Target or Old Navy. Sometimes the Gap also but they tend to not have as much stuff I like (Old Navy is getting that way too, but at least it's cheap).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I like J Jill and Coldwater Creek, but Land's End, Eddie Bauer and LL Bean are my kind of clothing - nice casual. I finally broke down and bought a skirt and matching jacket (Land's End) for those few occasions where my chinos wouldn't do .....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the suggestions!
I know there is a J Jill in my mall; I think I'll try there. Coldwater Creek is a little "old" for me though I do like some of their stuff, but I don't want the teenager low rise stuff either! My dd (13) who is a fashion diva is excited to point me in the right direction.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Me too!!!! Who wouldv'e thunk it??

Believe it or not, I often shop at junior stores. Their clothing runs MUCH smaller. Being 44 though, it elminates a HUGE portion of the clothing that I would even consider. I don't like to dress too old, but most of their stuff is just too, too young. But I do find some decent stuff every now and then. Some great jackets, slacks, tops, sweaters and dresses.

I also shop at Macy's petite section. I've found some stuff at Target also. They have XS. The Limited does as well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

J.Jill is very hit or miss, they carry sizes up to XXL so I've worn them heavy and thin. They do tend to have gorgeous fabrics (silks, velvets) but they tend to overembellish. A lovely lavender sweater with a velvet trim will be ruined (for me) with the addition of a floofy pocket with a big wooden button on it (for example). When they do classic/simple, I love them. J. Jill has GREAT sales, I never buy anything there full price, I wait until it goes on sale!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Yes, you're right about J Jill, but they do have some nice quality stuff. I avoid the embellished stuff. My very favorite, best fitting capris are from there. They have a lovely jacket in their catalog which I'm waiting for them to put on sale!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #12  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

OHHHH! I went to the Coldwater Creek sale last week- and came out with nothing! All of the little sizes had been snatched up already! Grumble, grumble. For those of us on a budget, New York & Company often has some low priced but stylish clothing in smaller sizes. I use this store to add some seasonal "trendy-ness" to my wardrobe without breaking the bank on a couple of pieces that I may or may not wear next year. For the staples, I love Ann Taylor as well. Hey- and a quick pass through Marshalls/TJMax often finds me a goodie if I have the time and inclination to hunt for a markdown!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I loved J. Jill when I was at my highest weight because they carry a lot of over-sized, loose-fitting stuff. But now that I've lost weight, I look at a lot of their clothes and think "not tight enough." I've developed some sort of addition to tight clothing. But my absolute favorite pair of jeans are from J. Jill. They fit just perfectly.

They use a lot of different manufacturers so it is true that their sizes are sometimes hit or miss. Some stuff fits great, other stuff not so much.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote