3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat - October 8 - 14 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/124547-maintainers-chat-october-8-14-a.html)

Meg 10-08-2007 06:20 AM

Maintainers Chat - October 8 - 14

Good morning and happy new week from Albuquerque! I still seem to be on East Coast time so am wide awake while the rest of the world is asleep.

The Hot Air Balloon Fiesta is just unbelievable ... hundreds and hundreds of hot air balloons all launching at the same time.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...z/P1010886.jpg

We're getting some wedding planning and errands done too. Yesterday we bought New Mexico champagne for our out-of-town guests' welcome bags (we're sticking with a "local" theme). It's actually received excellent reviews, though I've never thought of NM as a wine-growing state before.

Today DH and I are driving to Santa Fe for a few days. We're taking the scenic route through the East Mountains, which is where I'd love to retire. :)

Food has been tough, as restaurant meals always are. I'm going to jump into my gym clothes and hit the hotel fitness center in a few minutes to burn off some excess calories.

So -- if you couldn't keep up with last week's thread, here's a brand new one! :D

Thinking of you today, Gary. :hug:

Kery 10-08-2007 06:47 AM

Yep, you can say it, here's a brand new one. Another opportunity to pose during my lunch break while there's not too much to catch up on yet. :)

And those balloons are awesome, especially cut as they are against the sky... You sure had nice weather during your week-end, that's quite some luck.

I managed to completely pass on the cake, chocolate and various things to nibble on at friends' this past week-end. It may seem like a trifle, but spending 4+ hours with a deliciously smelling chocolate cake under your nose without touching it is still no little feat for me, so there, it's silly, but it still makes me happy. ;) Maybe I'll be totally blasé later on about those things, though. But I can't kid myself for ages: I'm able to maintain right now, however, if I want to go on losing, even if oh so slowly, I can't afford to nibble on *many* things nor do it regularly.

Apart from this, well, it's same old-same old for me. Week-ends are now mostly devoted to homework, so unless someone wants to hear about Highlandism, nature in King Lear or dystopia as per seen by Margaert Atwood, I'm afraid I don't have many things to say. ^_^;

Except that for once, there's no cake in the kitchen at work. Wow, I say.

LisaMarie71 10-08-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1884707)
unless someone wants to hear about Highlandism, nature in King Lear or dystopia as per seen by Margaert Atwood, I'm afraid I don't have many things to say. ^_^;

Actually, I'd love to hear about that stuff!! :lol: Margaret Atwood is probably my favorite living author. Well, either her or Haruki Murakami, but I've loved Atwood since high school so I'd have to go with her.

Meg, I LOVE that picture! I'm jealous! I really want to go up in one of those some day. It sounds like you're having a great time!

Gary, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You seem like such a wonderful person and I hope you know there are lots of people here who care about you and are thinking about you in this tough time.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready for another long week of grading, planning, coaching, running, dealing with kids and their parents, etc. But I guess I have to be, because here it is!! Now I need to go figure out what I'm going to wear today...

Have a great day, everyone! :)

rockinrobin 10-08-2007 07:38 AM

Good morning maintainers.

I hope everyone had a great weekend as yet another Monday morning rolls around. Too darn quickly if you ask me.

I had a so-so week food wise. I had lots of guests over on Saturday afternoon and I baked like a lunatic. I made four different cakes. I planned on eating some of the stuff - and I did and I enjoyed it. And the scale didn't appreciate it. I'm up over a pound and a half. But that's okay, I was well aware of the consequences. So this week with no holidays looming, no social events coming up - I'm back to basics.

Meg, that picture is spectacular. Enjoy Sante Fe. And enjoy those restuarant meals - just not too much. ;)

Kery, good for you for staying strong this past weekend, I can't say the same, that's for sure.

Lisa, I'm sure figuring out to what to wear these days has got to be easier then it was in the past. Well, yes and no. I'm sure you have lots more to choose from, so I guess that CAN make it a little more difficult, but GOOD difficult, if you know what I mean - and I think you do.

Gary, my thoughts are with you as well today. You and your family. :hug:

I hope everyone has a truly great day. :)

BillBlueEyes 10-08-2007 07:46 AM

Gary - I hope things proceed peacefully for your mother, you and your family.

BillBlueEyes 10-08-2007 07:52 AM

Meg Great picture of the hot air balloons :)

Eating went well this weekend, with an a number of occasions of free, party foods kept in perspective. At one place, I attacked the home made pickles to avoid numerous choices in home made brownies, cakes, pies, and general delectables. (I'll make peace with my cardio system for the salt infusion later.) Another time I made my next meal from the food offered and substituted a snack at the time of that meal. Felt good to sorta work things out.

EZMONEY 10-08-2007 08:45 AM

Thank you all for your prayers and wishes as always. My mom passed away last night so she is now with our Lord and breathing easy.

I am doing ok........

Great pictures MEG!

I will be back here maintaing real soon! It helps to have your support in all matters of life!

Gary

JayEll 10-08-2007 09:20 AM

I hugged you in another thread, but I'm hugging you here, too. :hug: I'll hug you anywhere!

Jay

rockinrobin 10-08-2007 09:28 AM

Oh Gary, I am so sorry. She is at peace now. My thoughts are with you and your family at this very difficult time. Robin :hug:

Megan1982 10-08-2007 09:38 AM

Good morning everyone, :coffee: :wave:

The weekend went really well and I'm feeling extremely positive. I started out on a good note Friday by not only ignoring but forgetting about the leftover birthday trifle in the fridge at work. I don't think I've ever forgotten chocolate was nearby in my entire life. Ignored, sometimes. Forgotten, NEVER. I ran my 5K Saturday morning even though my running partner backed out. My 5K times are actually getting slower! There is another 5K nearby in November and I'm going to run it with the specific goal of decreasing my time. My running partner says she "really" wants to do this one, but I will do it regardless of her participation, lol. I let myself have a little wine Saturday night but besides that stayed OP. I even ate food from home that night when BF ordered out (see we can eat together and accommodate both of our food tastes). Sunday I did a bunch of house chores and then went for a 4-mile walk. I ended up coming home with an armful of wildflowers. They were so beautiful I couldn't resist!

My lettuce, snowpeas, carrots, and onion seedlings are all coming up and I set up my drip hose on a timer over the weekend. So exciting! I finished "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" that I mentioned last week and I highly recommend it. I'm actually kind of sad that I'm done with it, I thought it was so good.

Baffled, I think Allison's suggestion to make a weekly menu and just buy what you need in 1 or 2 trips a week is a good one, since you say you & DH are both at the store so much. Also buy produce that's on sale/in season. I'm guessing that a lot of the produce from the farmer's market is organic - perhaps you could switch to non-organic this month while money is short, and then next month once you've gotten a paycheck switch back. I agree with other suggestions made re: buying meat in bulk and freezing in individual portions, stocking up when thinks you prefer are on sale, etc.

Lily, I agree totally with what Shane and others have said. The caffeine and chemicals in 6 energy drinks a day is too much for anyone, especially a 15-year-old who is still growing. I hope DH is able to get through to Shelbey.

Shane, ignore those jerks. Geez. Men can be such insensitive !@#$%. Really I can only conclude based on life experience that men just don't get it sometimes. (Err...sorry men out there...I know some of you are sensitive and great people and all. These are just my general findings on the whole.) You are a beautiful person now, inside and out. Ignore them.

Jay, I agree. I don't like chemicals either. However my roommates love them (2 against 1), so as a compromise we set off bug bombs inside the house every few months. If it were up to me we wouldn't.

Gary, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you and your family. :hug:

Kery 10-08-2007 10:18 AM

Gary -- My condolences go to you and to your family... I'm never great in the art of finding the right words in such circumstances, but here's a hug for you.

Lisa -- Now Murakami is an author I've never read (shame on me, I know). But I'm thinking of it. What would be 'the' right book to start with in this case?

Megan -- Speaking of chocolate, I've noticed something in my case: since I've stopped drinking coffee altogether, I don't have any desire for that little bit of chocolate now and then. Maybe it's because of the "coffee after lunch + chocolate dipped in it" habit that lots of people have in my country... Remove the coffee and the chocolate goes away as well.

JayEll 10-08-2007 10:27 AM

Megan, I forgot to add that fleas are another pest that I'll use some chemicals for--because I'm allergic to their bites. Most people aren't, but if you are, you know when they're around!

Jay

lilybelle 10-08-2007 12:37 PM

Gary, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of sorrow. Hugs.

Meg, that looks so fun at the hot air balloon fiesta. Hope you are having a great time.

I'm feeling even better today. I took Nyquil last night and slept 11 hrs.

Yesterday I went shopping with DD and bought us some new make-up and undies. I'm so happy that I finally found undies that fit right. There wasn't many colors to choose from in the ones that fit perfect, but no one else sees them so I don't care if they all look the same as long as the fit is great. Lol, it sures feel good to be able to buy a small in something.

It is storming here. Plans for today is get house cleaned perfectly. I did a bunch of it last night. DH comes home from work again tomorrow.

I had been doing great again at staying on plan. Last night Shelbey baked a pumpkin pie and I ate a piece of it even though I shouldn't have. I have forgiven myself and today will be back 100% on plan.

LisaMarie71 10-08-2007 12:51 PM

Gary -- :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1884959)
Lisa -- Now Murakami is an author I've never read (shame on me, I know). But I'm thinking of it. What would be 'the' right book to start with in this case?

I started with The Wild Sheep Chase, which is a good one if you want to see Murakami at his weirdest and really get a feel for the kind of bizarre world he sets up in his novels. If you do, you should follow it with Dance Dance Dance. Neither of those is my favorite, though. The one many people love is The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I loved it too but found it seriously depressing (of course, I read it when I was stuck on the couch with a broken ankle). I loved Sputnik Sweetheart. He's just one of those authors who always get me back into reading. I mean, I love reading anyway, but sometimes you get that feeling like there's nothing really pulling you in, nothing you're just DYING to read. Every time I've felt like that in the past, I've turned to Murakami and he hasn't let me down.

Robin - I definitely have more options for clothes now, but I just can't afford to buy enough! And my size seems to be changing again, as my 10 pants are getting loose and my 8 stuff is fitting better. I don't have much 8 stuff!! I told my husband he has to pay me $5 a pound when I hit goal (which I've done now!) to buy new clothes, but I'll feel guilty if I take $550 from him! We're kind of broke! I told myself initially that I would pay myself $550 and use the whole amount from me and him to get all new clothes. Of course, now I want to wait until I hit 155...um, or maybe 145...

alinnell 10-08-2007 01:01 PM

Gary~you and your family are in my prayers at this difficult time. :hug:

It's been one hectic day so far! Still having server problems and our IT guy still doesn't know what is going on. I'm really getting worried about it.

Tomorrow DH is starting his c25k program!!!

Meg~beautiful photos. There is a news story that someone was killed in a hot air balloon crash this morning--in New Mexico, I think. Very sad.

Keri & Lisa~I'm currently reading the Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It's quite interesting with the 'book within a book' thing.

Gotta run, everyone have a great day