Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Question My Confession.

Ok...so I haven't been eating exactly the amount of calories I need to eat to maintain my current weight. I have been eating 200 - 300 calories less still because I am afraid to eat all of the calories I need in a day. As a result I keep losing. Which, doesn't bother me, however, I have 2 more lbs left and then I'm 120. I don't want to be below 120. My body fat is already 15%. I really don't want to dip below 13%. That is the lowest a healthy female athlete should be. So...my question is, how do I get over this need to keep eating less? I don't deprive myself. My weight still occasionally fluctuates between 2 and 3 lbs with excess sodium, humidity, that time of the month, etc... but ultimately I am more consistently my average weight of 122 - 123. I am very active. I work out 5 days a week and if you count my 8 mile walks I've been taking on Saturday and Sunday, I guess you could say 7 days a week. Plus, housework, gardening, errands, etc. I think my metabolism is really fast and the consumption of fewer calories and the 400 - 1000 calories I burn during my work outs has been the reason why I still lose. Again, I'm not disappointed that I have lost past my initial goal. But I don't want to dip below 120.

Advice on how I can get over eating the extra calories would be appreciated. I am currently fitting into a size 0 and 1 (also 2 - 4 but it depends on the brand and style of clothing, but 5's and 6's are HUGE on me). I don't want to have to buy kids clothes for myself. That is just creepy. But I don't feel I need to be any less active. So pep talk me into eating more please? Any suggestions on meals or more fat or protein? I eat 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein on the average. If you want check my food and exercise journal in the link below. You can change the date at the bottom. As you can see I indulged on Mother's day and had 2 cookies on Monday. But this morning I was 121.9 lbs. I drink a lot of water so excessive dehydration isn't an issue.

HELP!!!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Just a quick thought - it's easy and healthy to painlessly add 200-300 extra calories a day by switching to home made full fat dressing with olive oil or walnut oil, putting a little avocado on your sandwiches or adding a serving of nuts a day (sesame seeds on salad, walnuts on oatmeal, slivered almonds in enchiladas, pine nuts in pasta). Sometimes, it was easier for me to increase calories without adding too much volume, it was also easier knowing I was doing something great and healthy for my body by adding such nutritionally dense foods.

Size 6s should be big on you! I am 6 inches taller and nearly 10 lbs heavier and wear a size 6
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have read in a couple of different places to maintain your ideal weight multiple by 12. 12 X 120 = 1440;in order to maintain your weight at 120 you need 1440 calories a day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey Libby! I can understand your psychological apprehension and discomfort about approaching the extra food. It can be so daunting.

Yeah, it is terribly easy to be able to add in extra calories but it isn't so easy to actually consume them. There is a comfort level in eating less calories and doing what we have done for quite some time and have had such success with. It can be a scary move to all of a sudden change that.

It is probably like first starting a lifestyle change or "diet"--- everything can be difficult and new and scary at such an adjustment. I think that going from "diet" into maintanence mode probably entails alot of the same psychological upheal that comes with making changes to your way of eating.

It will probably take some work Libby, especially since one can actually lose their appetite and not want to eat more (at least that is how it has been with me!). But, you can do this if you want it. You are just going to have to work these changes into your lifestyle just as you worked less calories in (or, er, out?) of your daily diet.

Make some concientious efforts and be patient with yourself and I am sure that eventually you will be able to effortlessly eat a couple hundred more calories a day consistently and keep your weight up.

You need to be able to stay at your fighting weight girl!!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #5  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Hi Libby - we're the same height so you must have a lot more muscle than I do, or we carry our weight in different places - I'm 'pear' shaped.

I'm still losing and probably need to up my calories, but I don't have the appetite to do so because of the medicine I'm on. Plus, it's changed my food preferences away from carbs and sweets towards fruits and vegetables.

And then there's the fear of going back to eating like I used to and gaining back the weight.

Glory's suggestions are good ones and if I continue to lose weight, I'll start eating more nuts. I've been using olive oil on my salads for the past year and a half and usually have an avocado every other week. Wouldn't mind increase to more.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvquilts View Post
Hi Libby - we're the same height so you must have a lot more muscle than I do, or we carry our weight in different places - I'm 'pear' shaped.

I'm still losing and probably need to up my calories, but I don't have the appetite to do so because of the medicine I'm on. Plus, it's changed my food preferences away from carbs and sweets towards fruits and vegetables.

And then there's the fear of going back to eating like I used to and gaining back the weight.

Glory's suggestions are good ones and if I continue to lose weight, I'll start eating more nuts. I've been using olive oil on my salads for the past year and a half and usually have an avocado every other week. Wouldn't mind increase to more.

Yeah, nuts are wonderful. I eat about an ounce or more a day. As far as fruits and vegetables go, I eat 2 - 3 servings of fruit and 3 - 4 servings of vegetables daily. Carbs are about 80% whole grain or beans and sweets are in extreme moderation. Athough I do allow myself a small piece of dark chocolate every day.

I really think it's because of my activity level. I move constantly and am always challenging myself with my work outs. One example is I walked a half marathon yesterday. YIPPEE!! I don't want to lose my zeal for fitness though, so I guess I'm just going to have to up the ante with calories. Bite the bullet so to speak.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote