Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Bras and weight loss...an adventure

I had posted this in Support, but it suddenly got moved to plus sized shopping! Since I think it applies to people here of all sizes, I just thought I'd post here too, to get some opinions! Thanks!

THE POST:

Whew! This weekend I decided that I could no longer put off buying new bras. The last time I bought some was probably about 20 pounds ago, and things weren't fitting quite like they should. I think it was Glory who mentioned a while ago (somewhere on this forum) that Nordstrom's was a good place to buy bras. So...I went there this weekend. At first, I was just looking around, and declined any real help. I tried on a few bras in the size that I thought I was. Things didn't work out too well, so I decided to get brave, suck it up, and ask for some bra fitting help! Well, turns out that I think I got the least experienced bra fitter, and I ended up in the dressing room for about 1 1/2 hours having her bring me bra after bra. Finally, she got some help from one of the more experienced people, and I was able to find two that fit well.

If only I had known...When I first got there, one of the experienced people asked me if I needed help, but at that time I was just looking and declined. A minute later, I thought of a question, and the less experienced bra fitter happened to ask me if I needed help, and I asked her that question. I always get so confused on what the rules are in the commissions sales world of department stores. Anyone know?!

Anyway, so began the long ordeal with the less experienced person. I ended up getting "fitted" by her. The only thing that really saved me was that I think she had to go home, and the more experienced person completely took over in the end. I think she could have had me in and out much quicker!

I have to say that in the end, getting fitted was completely worth it. I got some bras that fit amazingly well. It made a complete different! They had to order them because of the color I wanted, so I can't wait until they arrive!

Has anyone done bra fitting at Nordstrom's or elsewhere?? How did it work out? Did it take a really long time? Was it worth it?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hey Tara,

I'm glad you reposted it. I was a bit miffed that they moved your thread to plus-size shopping; neither you nor I are plus-sized!

Anyway, here is the response I posted when your post was in Support:

I have! I am a GIANT fan of bras and bra fittings and properly fitted bras. The right bra can completely change your shape, accentuate your waist and just make your boobs look good. I think EVERYONE should get a proper fitting, fairly reguarly, particularly after losing (or gaining) weight.

Whenever my weight changes significantly, I march myself into Nordstrom or Victoria's Secret and get a proper fitting. Usually it doesn't take as long as it took you though! The worst time I had was when my band size was 35 and my cup size exactly between a C and D. I tried on every single bra in Victoria's secret between a 34C and 36D and couldn't find a single one that fit. Ugh.

Nordstrom is a really nice place for bras. Expensive though. My trick is to get a fitting, buy *one* bra and then make a note of the other brand/model/sizes that I like and then buy them new on ebay for much cheaper. I can swing one $60 bra once in a while, but not 4.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #3  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Hey Tara,

I'm glad you reposted it. I was a bit miffed that they moved your thread to plus-size shopping; neither you nor I are plus-sized!

Good point! So we just renamed the forum 'Plus To Petite Shopping' to cover everyone.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Tara, I recently went to JC Penney's and got fitted for bra's. It really helped. I'm sure I'd bought at least 8 bras this past yr. that just didn't fit worth anything. Before, I had always been too embarassed to go get fitted, but I'm a firm believer in it now. I tried on at least 10 bra's before we found the ones that fit me best. I love the support of the bras that I have now and how they look with or without my clothes on. It does make a huge difference in how my chest looks.
Previously I was picking the right size, but the wrong style. I need the ones that are "full coverage" so that I don't fall out the front of them. I only bought 2 of the new ones, but AHH, maybe next month I'll get some more.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I am a big fan of getting fitted, especially at shops that sell many brands of bras (as opposed to Victoria's Secret, I've had some problems with them).

My personal tips for getting bras . . .
- do not let the salesperson tell you "sometimes you need to go up or down a size, a 34D is the same as a 36C" because they are NOT the same at all. One has a longer band and the other has bigger cups. If you are actually a 34D, a 36C will not fit at all.
- try a local specialty lingerie shop. I got fitted at a little shop run by a bunch of old ladies, and they found a British bra that fit me way better than any bra I have ever tried before.
- if you are constantly tugging up your bra, the band is probably too big
- if the girls are sliding out the bottom of your bra, the cups are probably too small
- wear one of your more revealing shirts, so you can see whether the bra is going to show
- don't be afraid to invest in a good bra. $50 is not unreasonable at all.

I always have trouble because I am a strange size. In the British brand that I bought at the local shop, I am a size 32E, which is approximately equivalent to an American size 34DD, but not quite. I was amazed when I put this bra on the first time -- mostly because the wire in between my breasts actually lays flat against my chest. That alone makes it way more comfortable, and makes it less likely that they're going to slip out the bottom under the underwire (I have had a problem with this with VS bras). Plus since the band size is finally right, most of the support comes from the band and the underwire, not from the shoulder straps, so I don't get big welts in my shoulders anymore.

Anyway, since I've moved I need to find a new shop to get bras from (I've been ordering mine online in the meantime). For me the hardest part is admitting when a bra is worn out and I need a new one. They really don't last forever, not more than a year if you wear it every day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Interesting subject. I've never been actually fitted but I've been known to try on a dozen different styles. I wear a 40DD and amazingly, even when my weight is down, it's still a 38DD. I hate underwires with a passion, for just the reason Jessica mentioned, they dig in and don't lay flat. Maybe I should just suck it up and get a good fitting.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #7  

I love underwire! I find it more supportive. If the bra fits properly, the underwire should lay flat--if it doesn't, that's a big sign that the bra doesn't fit you properly. I even have underwire in my sport's bras!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love my underwires. You get used to them and I've never really had them dig at all. While I've never been professionally fit, I do know that I need a full coverage and that I've gone from a 38D to a 36D with the weight loss. I can't do a push up because it just pushes the extra stuff into my armpits!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #9  

I have several bras with a bit of push-up. My boobs are pretty awful from weight-loss-gain-loss and they can use the help I particularly love bras with underwires and lightly moulded cups--no nippleage! I would like to know how to get rid of the fat between the tops of my boobs and my armpits, though. It's a little unsightly. My current strategy is to make my cleavage so spectacular that no one will notice
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I've lost 2 cup sizes but no band sizes - which on the one hand is a bit sad, but on the other, I am finally in a size that Victoria's Secret stocks!

And I couldn't live without underwire.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote