Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #31  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

That helps me, too. I "refuse" to eat frozen custard (like Sheridan's) or milkshakes anymore because I always end up with an upset stomach, no matter how good they are initially.

Katie's comment about "who's doing the preparation" made me think of the last time I went to the grocery store. As I put all my groceries on the conveyer belt, I was amazed at the amount of fruits and veggies and non-boxed things I had picked up. It used to be the other way around! (I think the only canned things I buy anymore are chicken broth and the occasional can of spaghettios for the kids, hah!)
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #32  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I find myself doing the same thing, Megan. I look at the food in my cart and when I'm at the checkout I compare what I'm buying to the person in front of or behind me and think...wow, I'm pretty healthy!
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #33  
LAWL Salt Police

Same here!! Happened just the other day.. I had five or six bags of veg and fruit and the lady behind me (sorry ladies) had cookies, chips, pop,... All that stuff I used to buy...

The only processed stuff I had were a couple of "once a week treat" chicken lunchables for the kiddos.. We, well Liz, usually makes them lunch, but we keep a couple of lunchables on hand just incase they run late...

I still buy lunchmeat.. Usually turkey, as I've found some that's lower in sodium than the others, but we don't eat it that often... Lunch is usually leftovers from teh night before or salad...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #34  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

On this same topic, a local group of my friends and I have been posting on LiveJournal together about our weight loss journey...one of them is just starting and mentioned that she's been struggling the last few days and has been having "just ramen" for lunch. I nearly jumped out of my seat with my caution about the sodium! No!! Don't do it!! Hah.

Another friend posted a recipe that included cream of chicken soup, Stove Top, etc. She did say that she used the Healthy Choice version of the soup, so that's good, but my initial reaction was the same.

Isn't it funny how we can almost SEE the sodium in processed foods now? That tickles me. What a change in just a month!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #35  
LAWL Salt Police

It really hit me when I had my first McDonald's hamburger after being on the plan for about a month... It was so salty I couldln't believe it..

And to think I used to ADD salt to my burgers there.. Yikes!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

"Just ramen"? Forget the sodium - do you know how many calories and fat grams are in those? Cripes!

Isn't it funny how we all feel so superior now that we've changed? I know it's wrong to feel that way, but sometimes I just can't help it. When I was on WW, I would have 5 light beers and use my 10 banked points. No wonder I wasn't losing! I keep thinking that about others too. Either they don't eat enough or eat like crap and wonder why they don't lose fast. The one thing I've learned here is that there is no easy way. I've heard people (and LAWL too) say that you don't have to give up the lifestyle to lose weight. Guess what... you DO. No matter what anyone says, if you want to lose the weight for good, you need to give up your previous lifestyle. You don't need to quit living, you just need to change it. There are no shortcuts.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #37  
On LAWL since 1/10/07

S/C/G: 212.8/183/140

Height: 5'8" or 9"

It's funny, when you say that
Quote:
if you want to lose the weight for good, you need to give up your previous lifestyle.
it made me think of learning a foreign language. It's been said that you can't really speak another language until you can think in it. I think of weight loss the same way - you can fake it and memorize some things for the short term (and even get some results), but if you want to lose it and keep it off - you really have to think in a new/different way. That is my challenge now. How do I change 42 years of how I think about food and living a certain way?

I'm hoping I can do it.
DenverChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #38  

DenverChick - The answer is you will when you are ready. Only you will know when that is. You can "fake it 'til you make it", but then something kicks in and you know that this is something that is permanent.

I was 260 when I went to LAWL. I wasn't going to join that day, but I was going to listen to the program and take a few days to think about it. I don't know what happened, but at that moment, something clicked, and I became ready. I signed up that day, started FF the next two days and haven't looked back since. I still have days when I am not POP, but even the "cheats" are nowhere near how I used to eat. Not even during the holidays when I gave myself a week off plan did I come close to how I used to eat. If I can change 36 years worth of living/eating/drinking, and change I am a girl who loves beer and bar food, then you can change 42 years of it too. You will do it when you are ready. Listen to your body. Listen to that little voice in your head. Don't focus on the end result, just focus on today. Have faith in yourself.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #39  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

So true, Cassi, and yeah, I'll agree on that whole "superior" feeling, as bad as that is to admit it. I'll be at work in the cafeteria and I'll see someone go through the line with burgers and fries or something equally unhealthy and a little part of my brain (probably the same part that houses the fashion police, hah) says, "Tsk, tsk, he/she really shouldn't be eating that!"

I've not tempted myself with fast food lately, but I'm thinking that when that time comes, I'll probably just want to sink my teeth into one big bite of a serious burger and then be done with it. I can't even imagine eating a whole giant hamburger now.

What have they done to me? The LAWL people have stolen my soul!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #40  

One of us... One of us...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #41  

Here's something interesting for fellow parents...
My DD is almost 3 years old. She has never had soda, maybe had juice twice and about 5 french fries in her lifetime...no chicken nuggets or fried foods and definitely no junk food. She eats fruits, celery, oatmeal, nuts, chicken, cereal, frozen blueberries, drinks lots of water...you get the idea. So when I decided to change my eating habits again, my husband said, "Just eat like Emmy" and I thought "DUHHHH!!" - I'll feed my kid nothing but healthy food and feed myself junk! And the worst part about is that I knew that what I was eating I didn't want her to have, so I made sure I didn't eat it in front of her. How stupid!!!
The good news is, everyone in my house now eats "like Emmy"!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #42  

Height: 5'5

Dan: I believe Boar's head has the low-sodium cold cuts and we can eat them. I'd go NUTS without my low sodium sliced cheese lol.

Emmysmom: I do not have children yet but I always say to myself how I'm going to half the healthiest children around lol. No fried foods.. well maybe once a month the most and half them all involved in some sort of physical activity. I would never want my children to know the pain and burden of being overweight. I'm very proud of your daughter for learning all these habits that will benefit her at such a young age.

Last edited by truelies; 01-09-2007 at 07:35 PM.
truelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #43  

Thank you, nikki! And the best part is that she doesn't feel like she's missing out because she loves her healthy snacks. I wish I was brought up to think that way.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #44  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlawchik View Post
One of us... One of us...

Now THERE'S an obscure quote... I know a really good song that encorporates that scene from the movie.. The song is called "Separated Out" by the band Marillion (cue my wife's eyes rolling), and talks about being segregated from society because you look different.. Sounds familiar....

Nikki.. Thanks for the tip... I don't know, however, if I can buy boar's head lunchmeat around here.. I know a few restaurants that serve their product, but I've not seen it in stores.. Hmmmm... I'll have to do some research...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #45  

There's a talk show that I listen to here that uses that sound clip. Go to wzzr.com and listen to the love doctors between 10 and 3. Not like any talk show you've heard.