Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #1  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Question Those using substitute bars??

After listening to Dr. Oz about the high fructose corn syrup and the hydrogenated oils (geez, they sound horrible) I was wondering since the Lites have both, has anyone found a substitute that does NOT contain these ingredients?? I plan to use the lites until I am finished (at this rate never haha) but for later. I occasionally sub the Luna or the Kashi bars but don't have any to compare right now.

Just curious.

Has anyone read his new book: You: On a DIet??
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #2  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

The hydrogenated oils do sound awful, don't they. I think I am going to have to get his book..........he sounds super smart!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Lea Ann - I'm with you on the hydrogenation. That was my main reason for not wanting to do the bars. But then I figured a year or two on bars was less damage to my health than remaining overweight.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 222/127/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm getting the book today at Target. $12.00.

My co-worker just looked up the ingredients on her luna bar and it looks as if everything is okay. It does have Palm kernel oil, which he said is not one of the good oils, but it only has a minimal percentage of this in the Luna bar. It looks okay to me. There are NO hydrogenated oils in the Luna bars.

Last edited by winkie03; 11-03-2006 at 11:46 AM.
winkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #5  
on LAWL

I've seen him twice on Oprah and really like what he has to say. He's very "real" to me--goofy--maybe that's why I like him!

Cassi--I'm with you--plus I really like the Lites--probably because of the "junk" in them and I'm sure they are mild compared to what I ate this time last year! I just know there will come a day when I will have to make a change so I am looking at healthier alternatives.

Evette--thanks for the info. I did remember him (or the other guy) mentioning the palm kernel oil--have to read up on it. Let me know about the book. I'm going to Target tomorrow--have to put it on my list! Thanks again for letting us know he was on.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 222/127/120

You're welcome! I actually set my DVR so that I can save it.

Don't forget.....the book is at Target guys!
winkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #7  
Kim - IP 9/10

I think that the Kashi TLC's are OK too.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Way down on the list of Kashi ingredients it says "mechanically fractionated" palm kernel oil.

You all realize there is a 10 PM Show on Discovery Channel tonight (one of the high number channels) featuring Drs. Roisen and Oz and talking about the book You: On a Diet.

I think Oprah had a great expression on her face yesterday when Dr. Oz said you have to satisfy your "needs" to be healthy, and those needs included sex and sleep. I agree with the sleep thing, but personally, I don't think you NEED sex to be healthy; leave it to two male doctors to come up with that one!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #9  
Post-Master

Your comments are always a treat to my day, Joni!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #10  
FBD/8-18-08

Joni - I just know that when the relationship with my hubby is exceptional (physically, emotionally, spiritually), I feel exceptional and so does he. So as for sex... no, but the intimacy - definately!!!!

Lea Ann - I agree about Dr. Oz. I had not seen him before - and thanks to Evette, I caught the O. show. I'm after the book today too, so I hope I find it at Target! (of course, I have a 15% off coupon for Barnes & Noble...)
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #11  
on LAWL

Guys--I am loving this discussion! On the one hand I agree with Joni--I don't think I NEED it to survive (DH thinks he might die--lol) but I also agree with Pearl about the intimacy. Plus, I am the first to admit how much easier my life is when DH is happy!

I am really anxious to get the book--boy, the discussions we can have--our very own "book club".

Okay (can you tell I have ISS'ers? Lots of time on my hands!) Anyway--I have done a lot of reading on the Luna and Kashi sites and am pleased to know that either as a substitute or a replacement for post-LAWL--I am happy with what I have read for both products. I can't get over the difference in the amount of sugars in the subs vs. the Lites--no wonder they are so tasty!! Below is pasted from the Luna site and hits on the palm kernel oil, too.

"Fat
Fats in small amounts play an important role in nutrition and LUNA is committed to whole nutrition for women, which includes small amounts of fats. However, we do not use trans fats of any kind nor partially hydrogenated oils which have been shown to contribute to increased levels of bad cholesterol thereby raising the risk of heart disease. So, LUNA fits right into healthy eating guidelines by not having more than 5 grams of fat per bar.

One of the fats in LUNA is Palm Kernal Oil, a fat that is comprised of monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated fats that goes through very little processing and is not a source of trans fats. The oil comes from the Palm Tree and we use it in our frostings to give it that smooth taste and to keep the frosting from melting. Palm Kernel Oil is a source of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid that the body cannot produce and is a good source of the antioxidant vitamin E. "
Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #12  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Okay - I may just have to get this book after all and maybe we can do a virtual book club (it's funny LeaAnn that you mentioned this since I was just looking to find a book club among my friends, but none exists). I don't read as much as I should (way too much time on the computer and reading technical manuals for work!).

I think I'm going to watch/tape the Discovery show tonight and decide if I want to add another "diet" book to my collection. Let's see, I think I can squeeze it in on the shelf between the Fat Flush Diet, Volumetrics, The Zone Diet, Thin Tastes Better, Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution, and Body for Life!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #13  
Post-Master

I am so in with the book club idea. I never take the time to read books for myself anymore. I did, however, just finish, Where The Red Fern Grows, with my 8 and 11 year old DD's. That can almost qualify for a grown up book. I cried for the last two chapters, and let me tell you, it is not easy to read out loud while crying. Anyway, I will try to get to Target tonight to buy the book. Lee Ann, you must have read my mind, because I was thinking........ how cool would it be if we all read it and discussed it online......like a book club!!! C'mon Joni.....we will need you!!!

Oh my.....can someone please tell me to get to work here.....kids are napping, and I am getting NOTHING done!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #14  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Nicole - GET TO WORK!!

Oh geez, I almost forgot I, too, have a job to do. Time to click my computer back over to work!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #15  
on LAWL

Sorry--Nicole--if I am wasting my day I want everyone else to, too!!

I actually leave for PE in 15 minutes--so then I'll be quiet.