Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default Converting Points to Exchanges...Smart Ones

Hope someone can help me!!! I am on a diabetic diet and have to record the dietary exchanges (1 starch, 1 fat, 1 protein, etc.), and I purchased a whole bunch of Smart Ones, which only list the points, not exchanges. Any ideas how I can figure this out????
totaej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hmmm....I really don't know what to tell you on this one. I know that some frozen meals, like Healthy Choice, actually list the exchanges on the back of them.

Which ones did you get, and I'll see what I can find out for you.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

You asked this same question on the WW Food and Point Issues forum on the same date . . . here is a copy of my response to that post . . .

As long as the package has the nutrition panel that shows Fat/Carb/Protein grams, you can make an educated guess (with a little simple mathematics . . . now don't freak over the M word it really isn't that bad), based on the following . . .

(1) Estimate how many servings/exchanges there are of non-starchy veggies. Each 1/2 cup is worth about 5 grams of Carb and 20 calories.

(2) Estimate how many servings/exchanges there are of starchy veggies/pasta/rice. Each half cup is worth about 15 grams of Carb and about 60 calories. Fruit exchanges are about the same.

(3) Estimate how many servings/exchanges of protein there are. Think in ounces/exchanges this time. One ounce of meat has about 7 grams of protein and 3-4 grams of fat and about 60 calories.

(4) If you haven't accounted for all the fat yet, remember that a serving/exhange is about a teaspoon and has 5 grams and 45 calories.

You may have to fool around a little with your totals, but if you write it down once you are relatively happy with the result, you'll never have to figure out that particular food/meal again.