3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/180698-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-september-2009-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

RobinW 09-24-2009 10:45 AM

Good Morning

Well....I met with the "girls" last night. The same group I had been meeting with a year ago. It was a group of women that got together every 2 weeks to brainstorm how to build our business. All but one was able to make it. So there are 5 women sitting there.....2 have folded up their businesses. One because she was too busy and couldnt take the pressure of running it alone (and alot of other stuff). One closed because she wasnt making any money. 4 of the 5 of us looked worn out, dragged out, and extremely tired. The "1" that sat there like a shiney beacon was the one who has expanded twofold.

I got home and I thought about all of us sitting around the table and just how tired we all were....except her. Why? (she also works a day job)

Why?

She has a housekeeper
...doesnt cook and relies "often" on the local grocery takeout
...runs her business from a phone
...does not actually work "in" her business
...works "on" her business
...has 3 employees

She is just as busy as the rest of us, but stress obviously isnt eating away at her. Like it very obviously is with the rest of us.

After our little meeting I sat outside with one of the girls (my old PT). She knew that the stress was eating away at me, and I am heading down the steep cliff. We sat outside starbucks until almost 11 last night.

Ive been doing alot of crying and soul searching. We have decided to cut me back to only 3 days a week! Hire an intern to help with the marketing. Stop working on projects that take time away from what actually makes us money.

Things arent so good with me. I'm working on it. It isnt going to happen over night. But I finally feel like Im clearing the way. There is too much clutter in my path.

Food is ok....yesterday's supper wasnt planned. I just wanted eggs and toast (comfort food) but that was it...I was still good.

Exercise is going to start back up this saturday. Since I'll be away from the shop for 4 days, I have no excuse! Even if I just go and get on the treadmill...its more than what I am doing now. Mind you I did walk to work this morning.

I also plan to utilize the local market's food bar for dinners. After the bathroom is remodeled, I will start looking for a cleaning lady. Hopefully by christmas I'll look all bright and shiney like business girl #5

Have a great day everyone....Im off to start clearing the clutter from my path.

Thank you for being here and letting me vent.

kuhljeanie 09-24-2009 11:36 AM

stress...

vent away, robin! i need those ideas too. i'm in a similar place. another order for cookies yesterday (yay!) but either i bake tonight after my evening class (a fun thing - interior design) or i have to put in an extra drive to cincinnati (about 3 hrs roundtrip) on saturday, the one day i get a reprieve from the commute. so i'll be baking tonight. i've already given up the fantasy of organic, home-cooked meals, and i've made peace with that. we don't have the extra cash to pay someone else to clean or do laundry - WHEN the other house sells (i can't entertain an IF) that's super-high on the list. part of my stress is how fugly my house is and how quickly DH's crap piles up in the corners and on all flat surfaces. sometimes it gets to me so badly i start fantasizing about solving the decor and clutter problems with a flamethrower.

still up a couple of pounds. last night after el nino crashed out, i did my upper body wii and got on the treadmill. watched TV and ran - i didn't want to get off. did a whole 5k while catching up on Top Chef masters on the tivo. it felt so good...and then i couldn't get to sleep. finally did but woke up at 4:00 am. head is killing me today - my standard sleep-deprivation headache. so do i exercise, or sleep? tonight, neither. i'll get home from class at 9:00, then start baking. assuming i can fit in a trip to the store to get almond milk. i'm exhausted.

life is unfair. waaaaaah.

i think EVERYONE does better with daily planning - that's been a constant here. we start to slip (or fall completely off the wagon,) but get right back on and stay there when we do daily meal planning. it ain't fun, but boy, does it work. and i know a lot of my struggle is that i'm not doing it now. somehow i have to figure out a way to work it into my life, because it's like exercise - you get back more time and energy than you initially put into it.

upallnight116 09-24-2009 07:58 PM

Hey everyone, my name is Liz and I'm new here. I started the Beck program two days ago and I'm doing my best to incorporate the skills. I'm mostly excited, but I'm also nervous about some of the experiments because it feels like so much of my life revolves around food, eating and weight. I know this is what I need to get my body (and mind) in shape. I look forward to being a member of this community, thanks for having me!

RobinW 09-24-2009 08:45 PM

Hi Liz and :welcome3: to the group :)

Nuxmaga 09-24-2009 10:19 PM

Hi All,
Another groggy evening. Finally had my surgery consult, and now have to figure out when on earth I'll schedule it in the middle of all my holiday craftshows. Minor surgery, but still disruptive.

Tracked food, credit. 8200+ steps, credit. Talked myself down to a smaller bag of chips at the drugstore, credit. Found the nutrition information for the pudding cups I was getting at the cafeteria--oh, man! I knew it was a lot of pudding, but I was in some kind of denial about how much. I guess that's a credit--facing reality.

Well, off to bed.

gardenerjoy 09-24-2009 10:39 PM

The potluck turned out to be easy -- everyone brought salads!

WI: -0.5kgs (new low), Exercise: +20, 979/1200 minutes for September, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: hope the event with the afternoon spread goes well. Thanks for the potluck advice -- finding the one food that really looks good and letting the rest slip into mundaneness. That should work for me, along with bringing something that I want to eat and really fits into my plan.

ChinaMaine: yay for losing the anvil and celebrating with an afternoon kayak outing!

RobinW: sounds like you are having some real insights on how you want to live your life and a plan to get yourself there!

kuhljeanie: thinking of you baking cookies. Hope it's going well and that you get a good night's sleep.

upallnight116: welcome! This is a really supportive group -- glad you found us!

Nuxmaga: good job on facing the reality of the pudding cups!

BillBlueEyes 09-25-2009 05:32 AM

Welcome Liz (upallnight116)

:welcome: Liz (upallnight116) :welcome:

And, in honor of your first post, :wel3fc:

How did you hear about the Beck books?

And how did you find this thread on 3FatChicks?

BillBlueEyes 09-25-2009 05:48 AM

Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Marched into my afternoon event with a plan; grabbed a bottle of water which I nursed while a hyper cake pusher three times tried to hand me a piece of gooey icing cake; CREDIT moi. Usually you just have to get past the food table once at these events, but a devoted assistant was determined that we'd all show our love by munching on his cake. It's amazing that with a plan it was so easy.

And a minor victory before that. Had lunch with a bunch of friends and I ignored the FREE sesame bread things and butter for the half hour before food arrived - including a refill of the basket within my reach; CREDIT moi. This is the restaurant where I have their Portobello Mushroom stack over white beans and Arugula with Balsamic vinegar - which is yummy. Oddly, the waitress said, "Oh, the vegetable plate, good for you," as if she were the healthy eating cheerleader.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yay for that cookie order even with the Ouch for having to squeeze the baking into a post 9pm slot. It is kinda neat that you didn't even mention that the baking would be an eating temptation for you. LOL at the flamethrower solution to your DH's clutter; I'll pass that on to my DW who has to deal with my ever growing stacks. Sending supporting thoughts for the Universe to give you a moment of free time.

onebyone - Waving. Sending good vibes for attacking your clutter for your home invasion.

Robin (RobinW) - Major Kudos for so actively and candidly looking at your situation to find your path. Your group of business colleagues is an amazing tale, and your insights on how to become a successful but less stressed business woman are keen. I wish you well on your journey to "look all bright and shiney" by Christmas.

ChinaMaine - Yay for getting rid of the anvil over your head by defeating it. You certainly put in two weeks of intense effort to achieve that; Kudos. Hope you can find a way to get credit.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for actively chasing down the calorie information on those pudding cups. The food purveyors even seem to be able to pack calories in the interstices of those foods that could be nutritious. Sending supportive thoughts that you can get your surgery scheduled with little impact on your craftshows.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a potluck with all good choices - that is so neat. Kudos for bringing a good choice yourself.

Carla (carla70) - Arggggggh! Yep, real life intervenes and your plan has to fit your real life. I rather like the simplicity of the No S diet:
Quote:

There are just three rules and one exception:

* No Snacks
* No Sweets
* No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"
Liz (upallnight116) - Kudos for starting the Beck program. Yep, I know that feeling that so much time is wrapped around food. My experience was that by working the Beck strategies I found that focus on food to dwindle. It's pretty amazing to experience that. You're on your way.

Readers -
Quote:

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight
. . .
You'll be able to remember why you want to lose weight at the very moment your sabotaging thoughts are trying to convince you that it's OK to eat something you know you shouldn't.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55.

onebyone 09-25-2009 09:40 AM

Friday

Good Morning Coaches

I woke up with a splitting headache at around 4:30am and took a pill, went back to bed and then the phone woke me up and now I am battling a headache again.

Oh Well.

The movers came yesterday and they removed my old comfy couch and brought it to the curb. I just saw the garbage truck leave and along witt it my old couch and four bags of garbage. 4. seems I really have started to get rid of stuff. They kept the green velvet loveseat and the two colonial chairs that I was always too wide to sit in. I hated those chairs. I am glad to have kept the few things I did. The boxes from my mom's house are now stacked in the entry way and I have no intention of dealing with them until next week.

Today's job is to make things for the market. Maybe I'll get out there tomorrow. It looks like rain for the sunday market. My tshirt making boothmate will be unhappy with that forecast.

Kitty X is still growling at the new cat, Caesar. I wish she'd stop, she even made motions to swipe at him this morning:(, but it's not my call. When she really focuses on him she growls. There is progress though. He's staring out the door right now and she's watching him with no growls. They both eat in the same area of the kitchen and they both sleep on our bed with us. We need a much bigger bed.

I got a copy of Volumetrics in the mail yesterday. It came from England. I bought it on ebay and it was here in about a week. I've just cracked the book open and it seems good. Now I have four books on the go: Fit for Life, Brain Rules, The End of Overeating, and Volumetrics. All great books. All necessary for me to read. I'm further along in some than others, it pretty much depends on what I had read up to the beginning of this month before all my time went towards dealing with my mother and her situation.

Anyway I think I have to go. My head is now splitting. I think I may have a bath and try to just relax...

I'll check in again later.

kuhljeanie 09-25-2009 02:02 PM

checking in before the weekend...burning the candle at both ends, and feeling it. i did get my cookies done last night and delivered today, and that felt good. and nope, didn't have any desire to make an extra batch. i had enough leftover dough for exactly one small cookie, which i did eat - but i shared with DH. i did want to try it and make sure they were up to standards, so that's all i needed.

unfortunately, i'm still giving in way too much to the daily onslaught of desire. was over my calorie allotment yesterday by 300. i'm trying to keep my perspective - averaged over the week, i'm still on the right side of the deficit line, but i've somehow managed to gain 2.5 pounds. i'm just about tearing my hair out but am trying to keep my perspective. it is what it is.

some painkillers for headaches all around...sigh...TGIF!!!

carla70 09-25-2009 02:26 PM

Hello everyone -

Well again last night didn't get to Beck workbook but I have a "free" weekend no big plans so looking forward to being home and catching up on lots of stuff. I am definately going to do the No S diet along with Beck solutions. I feel that is the right fit for me at this point.

Today my eating is ok, I did have to much for lunch but it was lettuce salad and was very filling and am still very full.

Welcome to new member Liz. This is a wonderful place!!

I don't know if I ever remember responding to the first questions..

How I discovered Beck was by accident surfing the web or would that be Beck finding me?

I found this site doing a google search for Beck forums.

upallnight116 09-25-2009 06:29 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I found this forum by googling "Beck Diet Buddies" and it was the first link to pop up. It seems like a wonderful place to get and give support and share advice, tips, etc.

I do have a question for anyone and everyone who might have an answer or personal experience:

How long did it take you to get through phase 1 and get on to the actual dieting part? I feel like its going to take me forever to get 7 consecutive days of checking everything off on the daily checklist. Not because I am not putting in all of my effort, I just feel like I have so far to go. I feel like I'm starting from scratch with a lot of these concepts. Did anyone else feel this way at first?

RobinW 09-25-2009 08:52 PM

:wave:

went to an awesome social media meeting this morning. Ended up coming back to the shop with an idea that cost us $130 :eek: But just one online order will pay for that. Keep telling myself that :lol: This was one of the very few meetings Ive been to where if this fella was to ever speak again....Id pay to go listen! That's how impressed I was!

Am I feeling better? Kinda/Sorta By 5:30 my chest was in pain, and I had prickers all over the place. :rolleyes: Off to the gym tomorrow to NOT think about work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I have gone to the meeting this morning? Probably not....but it gave birth to some awesome ideas!!! Even for a neighbour guy who is an awesome cook! Will it help me turn my brain off? No....actually got it revvvved right back up.

I love what I do, and I love the creativity involved in it. I just need help dialing it down at the end of the day.

OH!!! We got word today that they will start gutting and redoing the bathroom on tuesday. Oh.......should be a fun couple weeks :dizzy:

Ya'll can come visit me at the funny farm....I'll let you know the room number! :lol3:

Oh wait.........food~ ok, exercise~ gone, wine~ lovely :D

Nuxmaga 09-25-2009 10:45 PM

Hi All,
Tracked food, credit. Zumba, credit. No chips at the party tonight--yay! Stress eating from vending machines was a major sabotage today though.

uppallnight--welcome! I had that feeling too, that I'd never get to the "good stuff"--but actually, the skills at the beginning of the book are what have enabled me to actually change my eating habits, so hang in there.

Carla--The No S diet has a nice simplicity to it--and seems very likely to reduce the number of calories you take in. Credit for giving it a try.

kuhljeanie--Yay for only eating half a test cookie and getting the batch delivered. Hope you can make some room for a little rest.

onebyone--credit for getting Volumetrics. I really liked that book--it works with our desire to feel full, and yet eat less calories. I was calculating at lunch the other day that I'd need to eat 15 pickle spears to be the equivalent of a 1.5 oz bag of chips. That would be a lot of pickle volume!

Bill--Kudos for having a plan and avoiding the recurring offers of cake! Thanks for the supportive thoughts. Still need to schedule the surgery, still stuck in decision limbo and accompanying bad snacks.

gardenerjoy--Credit for picking up Bill's strategy of picking the one most delicious looking item at potlucks and leaving the ordinary food.

gardenerjoy 09-25-2009 10:54 PM

Tomorrow's adventure is visiting one of our CSA farms. They're serving lunch but I think I can count on there being lots of very fresh vegetables available! So my plan is to fill the plate with veggies.

WI: +0.6kgs , Exercise: +50, 1029/1200 minutes for September, Food: op (mostly), Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: great job on resisting the cake pusher! And on resisting the never-empty bread basket.

onebyone: hope your head improves. You've been through quite a stressful time -- take care of yourself. A bath is one of my favorite forms of self care.

kuhljeanie: sending you caring energies, too, as we go into the weekend.

carla70: sounds like you're making good progress!

upallnight116: I guess I kind of cheated in the speed of going through the preliminary material. I read The End of Overeating by David Kessler first and had already stopped my worst eating behaviors. While I was reading the first part of Beck, I was thinking about whether I wanted a more structured eating plan and what that might look like. Then I kind of wrapped my decisions into the step about planning my food every night. That's when I started my "diet" I guess. It was a fairly smooth transition from eating better to eating even better and I'm continuing to tweak things.

Nuxmaga: credit for chip avoidance. Hope your stresses slow over the weekend.