Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Default Question about daily water intake.

Hello everyone! There has been a small discussion in another thread, but I needed some more imput. Okay, does drinks like mineral water, tea, and adding crystal light to water count towards your daily consumption of water? Thanks so much!
Mel 610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I would say yes they do count. I hate regular water so I put Crystal Lt in mine all the time.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #3  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

yes
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Okay, cool! I don't count coffee though. I started drinking mineral since I quit drinking soda, and I have a small obession with mineral water now - especially with lime. It's good to know something that I actually like counts for something good! haha!
Mel 610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I count anything without calories or caffeine as water, and so far my body seems to agree!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Have you heard of the show on the food network called "Food Detectives"? Well on the weekend they just had this question...what counts towards your daily intake of water...even your morning coffee counts. AND...if you are following a healthy diet of your veggies, fruit, etc....that counts too!! they put a typical day's food on a healthy diet in a dehydrator and a typical unhealthy day's food. For the healthy diet your actually consuming just a bit less than HALF of your daily water requirement! Good to know!
Looking4Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yes, even coffee and tea "count," toward your fluid requirements, because while caffeine is a mild diuretic, caffeinated beverages do not cause you to lose more water than they provide. If you decide not to count them, make sure you're not drinking more than a cup or two of them (and you definitely do NOT have to drink extra water to "compensate" for coffee or other caffeinated drinks - there's nothing to compensate for).

Many of the dieting water myths are untrue, and have gotten out of hand - and in some cases can lead to drinking far more water than your body needs - this usually isn't harmful, but in some situations it can be. There's absolultely no need for anyone to be drinking more than 3 quarts to a gallon of water a day (unless they're running a marathon in a desert, and are replenishing their sodium and other electrolytes). If you're going to be drinking that much or more, you should mention it to your doctor, and decide if there are precautions you may need to take to prevent drinking too much water (Water intoxication or water poisoning isn't common, but it can happen, especially if you have certain risk factors such as kidney disease (which you can have and not realize, so if it runs in your family, I'd be extra cautious) low-sodium diets and/or are on any medications that affect blood pressure or tax the kidneys).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-18-2009 at 11:45 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 316/304/185

Height: 5'4"

I count anything without calories. Thank goodness veggies and fruit have water or I'd be hurting. I don't like water.....
Tacklenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

When the drinking advice says x amount water a day, they really mean x amount of fluid. Tea, coffee and even soft drinks contribute to the required amount (regardless of calorories or helpfulness to diet) and drinking too much water can be very harmful; dieters are at high risk from water toxification due to bad or misunderstood advice about drinking water
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #10  

Yes , they certainly count as it counts some what water in it
alextiggs is offline   Reply With Quote