Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #1  

Default Daily calorie intake ?

Hi there! I've been lurking around this site but have never really posted anything before, but I am at the point of my life where I need to change for the better and ready to take on the challenge of changing my habits for a healthier lifestyle! My name is Nan, 24 female who is currently 160. I was 168 and currently lost 8 pounds by cutting out junk food and a little exercise here and there. I did the calorie calculator and it showed for me to lose weight, I need to be on a 1283 calorie intake. My question is, do I really have to eat an intake around 1283? I am currently eating more green: salad, broccoli, edamame with strictly chicken breast, soup, and lots of fruits. I calculated my calories and it is under 1200. It's actually around 1000-1100. I tried to do some research and it showed that you shouldn't really go under 1200, but I am actually quite full and don't really want to over eat if I don't have to. But I don't want to make the mistake of thinking less calories is better. I am also doing cardio 5-6 times a week. Any advices or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks
nanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

For me nanali, there are days I am naturally hungrier than others. One day I will go over on my calories and the next day I notice I am plain not as hungry. My calorie allotment is 1500 daily and I am still losing. I run every morning too. Some days I eat 2000 and other days I eat 700. At the end of each week, as long as I am averaging 1500 daily, I don't worry about it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #3  
Anchors away!

Default Calories

I know myself I need at least 1400 cal a day to function. Years ago I went to a diet center and the calories per day were 800. Looking back I can't believe I paid big bucks for this torture. Needless to say it messed up my system pretty quickly. I have spent years as the fat kid at school and hated it. I am starting to pay attention to my diet again and currently I am checking out plans to use. LAWL looks good and I am starting it. I like it so far and it looks like somthing I can stick with. Deb.
62monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Ditto to 62monkey

I did the same thing-twice- and it took years for my metabolism to resume to being normal.

Now, that my metabolism is normal (amen) I am careful to steer clear of quick and easy solutions. I have read what is the "conventional wisdom" regarding how many calories a person needs based on height, weight and activity level but again if you have been dieting a long time, your metabolism may have become accustomed to "operating" on a lot less so all of that may be meaningless to you.

Instead, I try to be honest with myself with how much I do need vs how much I want. I try to follow the "one fist only" rule, read labels and follow the package guidelines for one serving (not three or four) and really pay attention to when I am full or even if I am hungry at all. Of course, it goes without saying, that healthy eating involves following the basic food groups and trying to aim for acheiving a balance among all of them (eat your veggies like we were once told).

Finally, I do not include exercise in as a means to aid me in weight lose. I have found that it messes with my head. 1) I feel that I can make bad choices since I have the "pain threshold" to tolerate hours exercising to "supposedly" work it off 2) that being hyper active is no substitute for healthy eating 3) lack of being active did not get me obese in the first place---overeating large amounts of food did so if that is the root cause then that is where I should start. Now, I exercise because it will keep me feeling limber and be "insurance" against being accident prone because I have tight stiff under worked muscles!

How many calories do I have per day: between 1200-2000. It depends on my hunger level.

I am learning to trust my body and what it needs.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You can't eat under 1200 calories and expect to lose weight- for most people, that will put you in starvation mode. If you want to eat as little as possible, get exactly 1200 of good, nutritious food (no empty calories).

Congrats on your success so far, cutting out junk food is huge!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #6  

Thank you so much for all the replies!
nanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #7  

If you go under 1000 calories a day, you really could get sick. That's just too low. I think 1200 is the lowest level most doctors recommend.
Lisa1978 is offline   Reply With Quote