Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/142/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Weigh everyday or once a week?

I am on WW for the fourth time. The last time I did it I weighed myself everyday for extra motivation. (Read somewhere that it helped you keep on track). Does anyone else weigh themselves everday or just once a week? This is my second day and the number on the scale is already not enough motivation for me.
todayistheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #2  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I weigh myself everyday. But I chose one day a week to count as my official weigh in day. So every Friday for me that weight is the weight I count for that week.

I see both bad and good stuff with weighing everyday. I guess sometimes our weight just goes up and down so it might drive you insane lol. Or you might get obessed or even discouraged if the numbers are not going well. But at the same time I find it helps me stick on my routine. If I slack off I see it the next day lol. And I can change what I eat or do to kindof balance out the week or see what other changes going on might affect my weight.

I'd go with whatever feels the best for you
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #3  

I weigh every other day, When Im on my monthly I dont weigh myself at all cause its so depressing watching my weight go up due to the fluid retention. I go back to weighing myself every other day a week after TOm leaves.
Wayless09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  
*~Gamer Goddess~*

S/C/G: 236/Ticker/110

Height: 5'1

I weigh in every morning. True it can be an awesome motivator, but you have to keep in mind it's not guaranteed to show a lower number each day. Like yesterday I was 188.6 but today I'm 189.4. eek.

Try to stick it out a few more days and see how you feel after that.

Good luck!
StarryNights110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  

I do the same thing Blasphemie does - weigh every day, but only "count" the Friday weight. I find that it keeps me on track and motivated....when I get lax about stepping on the scale it's because I know that I've not been staying on plan. It's also helpful to see the effect that the choices I make have on my weight.
wiginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #6  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

I weigh myself everyday... maybe a few times a day.... lol.... i think its interesting to see what my weight does all day.... and i too am doing ww! Good luck!
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

In the past I've always weighed daily, and I generally think that for me it's the best way to go. True a morning rise on the scale really hacks me off but at least it reminds me to think whether it's something I can control and do sthg about or not. Sometimes you can't but sometimes it's a sign not to slide. I find if I wait a week and it still shows a depressing reading, that feels like a whole week wasted.

At the moment though, I've given up weight for Lent. Motivation wise, it's really great, because I'm trying really hard every day not to let myself down.
I'll tell you on Easter Day if I've lost what I hope to have done!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #8  

I do what Blasphemie does too- weigh in every morning but only 'count' my Friday morning weight as my weigh in day. I also weigh in at night and sometimes mid-day just to learn what my body does.

The key with weighing is not to be looking for an absolute weight but rather using it to see a trend. My only absolute weight is the Friday morning one but the rest of the time I use it to track trends and make sure I'm on track to have a loss the next Friday.

If you can mentally separate the number on the scale from black and white thinking of absolute pounds, then weighing more frequently is ideal. However, if you get so hung up on each number that you're castigating yourself over it, it's best to just weigh in once per week.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #9  

I just started back on the Fat Smash "diet". I weighed in at a scale tipping 197! I am not supposed to weigh myself during the first phase, which is 9 days! I am the type that can't look at the scale everyday, yet I bite my nails wondering if my hard work of staying away from the junk I love...oh, I mean LOVED, has paid off. It's really a personal choice, I think. Maybe you should try weighing in daily and if you lose your motivation, go to weighing in once a week! Trial and error. You have to do what's gonna keep YOU motivated. I think there are plenty of ppl to help you out on those days you feel defeated or that your willpower is low. That's the great thing about this site. I'm new and I already see that!
KeLsTeR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

I weigh myself every morning and track it in a diary online. I find I know exactly what food causes the most weight gain even though I do really well the rest of the day (for me, it's pasta and American biscuits with butter, so those become very rare foods I eat).

Laura, I think you might be setting too high a goal for your second day on WW. Weight fluctuates. I do this occassionally on my scale: get on butt naked (scary sight) in the morning after I wake up and go to the toilet. I get my clothes together for the morning, do a quick stretch then go back and weigh myself- the difference can be 1/2 to 1 pound (or more); and that's in a space of 5 minutes or less.

When you set goals, you need to make sure they are SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. Ten pounds the first week in WW is highly unlikely. Three may be a bit more realistic. One definitely is. Aim to lose your weight in a reasonable amount of time. You've got 9 pounds to lose: 3 months is a realistic goal (9 pounds in 12 weeks= 3/4 pounds per week). Mine happens to be:
- Long term: 40 kg, of which I've already lost 15; leaves me with 25kg/55 pounds to where I would feel very comfortable with my weight (145); 135 is where I would feel happiest (though this is subject to change daily).
- Medium term: 9-10kg by 5 September (my birthday), which puts me at 82kg.
- Short term: 3kg by the end of April (that'll take a 10kg block off the scale at the gym).

Good luck and don't lose motivation. Remember, whatever your reason for losing the weight, you can do it. Don't be discouraged in less than a week on WW; it'll come off if you stick to your plan.

Cheers.
Mollz
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 148/142/135

Default Thanks to all.

Thanks to all. I really appreciate the words of wisdom.

That's why I joined this site. I really want this time to be it and make it a lifestyle. I suffer from all or nothing thinking. But this time I am trying to focus on the fact (demonstrated by the site) that I am not alone in this journey and that all I can really do is take it one day at a time.
todayistheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I have heard people say that once a week or twice a week etc...I just can't stand not jumping on the scale! It helps me keep track of what is working or what's not. Maybe I won't do it as often once I get going a bit more...we'll see!
Looking4Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/193/155

Statistics make me happy, so I weigh every day and track on a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet lets me keep pretty graphs with weekly and monthly trends as well as the daily weights. That way if I'm down on a given day that can be motivation enough on its own, and if I'm not, I can look at my weekly and monthly trend graphs and reassure myself that my averages still went down.
Areia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

When I was younger I weighed daily...drove me insane. It got to the point of borderline eating disorder if the scale didn't agree with something like PMS or sodium. I could not handle it. So, now I weigh once a week, on Friday morning. It has been sane and healthy for me so far!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/230/155

Height: 5'7"

Officially, I weigh once a week...every Saturday morning. But I will usually also weigh on Wed. or Thurs. morning, just to see if I'm on track.

My hubby likes to weigh every single day, and it drives me crazy! Especially when he gains 2 lbs from one day to the next, and spends the entire day trying to figure out what he did wrong, how to lose it, etc.
Kecia08 is offline   Reply With Quote